Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster Build

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TheCollector1, Nov 22, 2018.

1. TheCollector1

TheCollector1 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
    So I finally did something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I’ve been playing guitar since I was 12 or so. I’m nothing special by any means just a mediocre player/bedroom rockstar. Over the last 22 years I go on spurts where I play a lot and then get busy with life and I go periods without picking up a guitar. Now with my little kids tho I want them to be musically inclined so I have been playing more and more around them. Anyway I’ll get to the point. I always wanted to assemble a guitar from parts. I spent the last year or so researching parts etc figuring out what I wanted to do. Through eBay I found Tim Perry from The Guitar Loft. Tim was an excellent person to deal with and went above and beyond in helping me select and acquire the parts I wanted for my build. He even offered to assemble and set up the guitar for me. Tim was extremely knowledgeable about guitars especially fender and fender custom shop. Throughout the process he has kept me updated on the status of parts and how the build was coming along. He was honest and his prices were extremely fair. He answered all my questions and guided me through the whole process. He just wrapped up the build and sent the guitar out to me the other day.

Build Specs

Fender custom shop 1960 Stratocaster body (closet classic light relic finish)

Fender custom shop 1963 Stratocaster neck with tuners (journeyman relic finish)

Fender custom shop light relic Bridge

Nitro celluloid tortoise pickguard

Fender custom shop aged white knobs and hardware

Klein Jazzy Cat pickups

Assembled and wired correctly in vintage fender fashion by Tim Perry All parts supplied by The Guitar Loft. Anyway the guitar is in transit on its way to me from Georgia. I should have it in a few days. I am the most excited I’ve been about a purchase in a long time. (Even after several impulsive sports car purchases). Anyway here’s a few pictures I have of the build supplied by Tim.

circles, Tone Guru, Yves and 4 others like this.
  2. TheCollector1

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
  3. TheCollector1

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
  4. TheCollector1

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
    7.5lbs can wait to get my hands on her. She’s dead sexy!

Andrew Wasson and elduderinoTF like this.
  5. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Unbelievable! You’re right.... That’s dead-sexy!

Really nice work on the pickguard wiring. I’m probably irrationally anal about that sort of thing but I love to see it when it’s done so well.

Great weigh and just wow! That’s going to be a killer guitar.

Nate D likes this.
  6. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    Very sharp! Can't wait to see more when you get it.

7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    That's a nice looking axe. The fretboard looks like it "plays like butter".
    I've seen a few guys bring their kids up playing in their bands (i.e. wedding bands here in cowboy country)

8. TN703800

TN703800 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Las Vegas
  9. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Congrats! Fantastic looking guitar!

10. TheCollector1

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
    Since she’s being received so well here’s a couple more pics. The neck is a 9.5 radius and 6105 fret wire. 56446021838__E4792FA8-156F-4B18-881C-7B3746596043.jpg 56449785448__44B17F6F-1F9B-428E-B680-1F359F1EE1F8.jpg

11. midwestfisherma

midwestfisherma Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2011
    MI
    That looks great!! Very nice!

12. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Very nice Strat:thumb:

A new Fender Custom Shop Strat up here in Canada is about 5400.00 Canadian plus tax

I do not mean to pry but was your Strat anywhere near that mark?

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. TheCollector1

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
    I am into this build for just under $3k which I think is very reasonable for an instrument of this caliber. I think as far as bang for the buck prolly pretty hard to compete with one of Tims builds for what you get. It was funny I actually found Tim after trying to work with a more well known peddler of vintage fender and fender custom shop. However he wouldnt answer any of my questions. When I asked him a couple questions he preceded to basically go wild and go into a tantrum calling me a tire kicker saying I was wasting his time. It even gets better then he preceded to build the strat with the parts I was inquiring about and put it up on his website for $5k. Referring to it as a special high tone strat. This was after he texted me for three days with pictures of his house/property/toys/him mowing the lawn. Guy was a real character. You guys could prolly guess who I'm talking about. He real special person. Dealing with Tim was the complete opposite experiance.

Percy and Guitarmaan like this.
  14. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I hate to to rain on anyone's parade, but if this was assembled by anyone outside of Fender, it is not a Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster & shouldn't be described as such. It's a partscaster, albeit one made from expensive parts. As such $3k sounds exorbitant to me. I have bought genuine Custom Shop Fenders used from eBay for under £1000 (twice now, though admittedly a few years ago) & it's easy to get them for around the £1500 mark. And those used Fenders will retain their residual value, a partscaster will not.

I really hope that the OP loves his guitar, because if he was ever to try to sell it, it would be worth a huge amount less than he paid for it.

15. TheCollector1

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
    Understood stratman thank you for this. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As far as the money goes. I do ok at what I do for a living and this money you speak of isn't going to make or break me. I haven't seen any authentic custom shops for under $1500 mark. Cheapest I have seen for a complete guitar is around $2,000 to 2,200. That said I plan on keeping this guitar forever.

16. TheCollector1

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
    Also I have not referred to it as a customshop guitar or tried to pass it off as a custom shop guitar. I have consistently refered to it as a built guitar. yes it is a built guitar from high end parts.

Alan Crossley and elduderinoTF like this.
  17. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I was quoting the thread title....

vid1900 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  18. artgtr

artgtr Senior Stratmaster

Aug 18, 2013
    WURTSBORO, NY
    It looks like a great guitar, you will have many years of enjoyment playing it. Very cool!
    Congrats!

19. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wow, that other dude sounds like a real piece of work. I don’t know who any of the known builders are out there but Tim certainly has done a nice job putting this guitar together.

It’s great that you were able to collect all of the CS parts you wanted for this build. I don’t really pay any attention to the hoopla over CS guitar pedigree but I do appreciate the beautiful wood that some CS parts have. That neck is really something else.

Alan Crossley likes this.
  20. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    One very cool Strat that is, Congrats!