Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster Build

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TheCollector1, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    I know what you mean about the way some guitars resonate. It seems to be something that some have and some don’t. I wouldn’t miss it if I didn’t know about it but I do. I’ve got an Alder body Classic Player 60’s that’s like that. I’ve got others that don’t. I also just let go of a 90’s budget BC Rich pointy guitar that has that same resonance so I’m not sure what that little extra something is.

With my Alder Strat, that resonance that you can feel when you play it acoustically carries on into recordings when it’s plugged in. It’s like a growl and really suits some things I’ve recorded. Like a little something extra you don’t expect.

Anyway, your new guitar sure looks like a beauty. Congrats on getting that dream guitar built. Worth every penny.

Nate D likes this.
  2. wayoutjohn

wayoutjohn Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2018
    NJ
    Jazzy Katz! Have no idea how they sound, but that's an awesome name

3. TheCollector1

TheCollector1 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
    Been playing her a little more and she just absolutely fabulous. Such a beautiful strat.

4. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master

Sep 8, 2015
    Eden Prairie
    Curious what you think of the Kleins. I just put a set of '59's in one build, and a set of Jazzy Cats in the other, and I love both. The '59s are probably my favorite so far.

Beautiful guitar.

Yves likes this.
  5. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    Hello Andrew. I just read your brief observation on the "Great weight" of this guitar? I have seen a number of Strats advertized with the weight included. Is it just a Matt of personal preference or is it something entirely different? Regards Alan

6. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

Jul 18, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    There are some on here who think that someone died and left them in charge. They get to set the price on your guitar and tell you what you can call it or what you can sell it for. And then how you can spend your own money. And then if you call them out on it they attack in some other way, your spelling LOL. Pay them no attention. They must lead miserable lives. Your guitar is as much a Fender and any other. It looks great. Enjoy it.

I came to this forum because I liked fenders but now just visit it for entertainment. Sorry for the negative post but these things need to be said from time to time.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  7. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    Yes there will always be at least one! I'm very new here and have been very impressed by the lack of negativity which is gratifying.

When I built my first DIY telecaster style guitar, I was struggling for cash and found it very difficult to justify my spending to myself. It's well over thirty years old and it's still a fine guitar.

My current, and presumably last build, is a very pretentious replica of the EC Clash 1 Rainbow Stratocaster. I don't give a sh1t about its authenticity, it is what it is, it's mine, I can't afford the real thing, it's still costing much more than a genuine Fender but that has no relevance at all to the project. How I choose to spend my old age pension is down to me. I don't smoke, don't drink, and no longer drive expensive cars. Don't listen to the begrudgers, enjoy your hobby. Alan

8. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Wow, dude. I was kind of with you until you threw this little tantrum. Says a lot. Also, your grammar is terrible, which is funny because you were talking crap about the grammar and spelling of the guy you were originally going to have build the guitar. Learn the difference between than/then and your/you're before you start slinging insults around.

Achyskic, brians, stratman323 and 2 others like this.
  9. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
  10. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

Jul 18, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
  11. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hey Alan,
    For me it’s personal preference. Some Strats can be a bit heavy but I prefer a lighter weight.

I used to think the heavier the guitar, the better the tone and sustain. Based on that idea, I was quite happy with my 12lb Ibanez Artist. Over time that attitude has changed though and I’ve got an Alder Strat what weighs around 7lbs and sustains like crazy. My other Strat is a little under 7 lbs and so is my Telecaster and they also sound terrific.

Nate D likes this.
  12. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    From the first pics of the parts I saw I was not getting it. But seeing the finished product it does look gorgeous!
    Would love to hear it, congrats!

On that, over two years ago I got my first brand new, off the shelves 60s ri Strat.
    Was a bit disappointed as I could not feel any "life" in it. It sounded good but somehow stale.
    I got it all reset, and have been playing it mostly tuned in E flat with heavier strings.
    It got a bit roughened up over time and got a few notches to show for it too now.
    But only about 2 months ago, after I change the strings, and set it back in standard tuning, it suddenly came to life!
    It resonates fantastically and with great sustain.
    So it seems, in some case they take time to settle.

13. TheCollector1

TheCollector1 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Big Apple NY
    I stand with this guy!

Andrew Wasson and hexnut like this.
  14. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I agree with this statement. I think there are definitely good and bad sounding guitars, but there definitely is a response in a guitar that’s been played overtime as the wood begins to react to the vibrations of the guitar itself.

It’s why acoustics sound different over time and why a lot of us, myself included, state our guitars retain their characteristics even after changing pickups. Sure the voicing may change a bit, but it still sounds like my guitar.

15. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    Hello Andrew, thanks for your update on weight. My first 63 Strat was quite heavy but I never thought of the weight as being in anyway relevant to the sound. My current build project is on a light Alder body and until it's finished I will not have a clue of the weight.

I'm continually astounded to see just how much knowledge some of you chaps have on the subject of Stratocaster guitars. Have a great week Alan

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That's strange, because having read several of your posts, I feel exactly the same way about you. I can only suggest that you avail yourself of the IGNORE facility - if you do this, you will never again have to read anything I post. And I will never again have to read your opinions about me.

Which should keep both of us happy, I would have thought. :cool:

17. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    OP , you've got a nice guitar there , no doubt, but your posts to stratman 323 take all the good out of your original sharing and excitement. It's a nice guitar, that's all it is and there is no reason to insult a very senior member of his caliber like this , he is stating the facts, that's all , not insulting you or knocking your guitar. After only17 posts , think you got a little carried away here. Apology is in order.

Fuzzpop likes this.
  18. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Nice guitar bud.

Don’t mind the higher ranking Scrooge here.

He’s stuck on technicalities and some people on here are so set on attacking what others paid for something it boggles my mind. I’ve posted about it a few times and no one seems to care much. This thread wasn’t “hey did I pay too much”, yet he felt the need to bring up resale value as if it matters to you when you say that you plan on keeping it forever.

Most people on here would have a cow if they found out that I paid full retail for my MIM Standard.. to them they’re only worth $275 or you’re getting ripped off. LOL

Anywho, nice pick on the Jazzy Cats. Gonna get some nice Mayer tones out of her. Play the hell out of it, make some damn noise!!!

19. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Beautiful guitar!

20. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    I honestly and sincerely doubt that you have read anything I’ve posted to come to that conclusion but by all means help yourself to the ignore link on my profile. It’ll do both of us a favour.

Paperback Rocker likes this.