Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender frontman 212r repair

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Loleary, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Loleary

Loleary Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    Hi. I have fender frontman 212r 100w amp. The volume pot on the drive channel is broken, screeches when turned and doesn't adjust to the right volume. Think it got a knock a few years ago. Anyway would I be able to replace it myself? Anything I need to be careful of when opening up the amp? Apparently the pot is a B100k, would a generic Chinese one do? Cheers!

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    I would be willing to bet that the pot is soldered directly to the circuit board. If you don't have mad soldering skills, I would not attempt this repair. It's unfortunately quite easy to damage the board with too much heat.

93-Strat likes this.
  3. Loleary

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    I just opened it up to have a look and yes it's soldered to the board. I think the problem is not that the pots broken, more so that it's been replaced with the wrong one. If I can find the right replacement I'll repair it myself. Local music shop takes forever to do anything an will probably charge more than the amps worth.

Robins likes this.
  4. Loleary

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    Anyone here know anything about repairing amps? I can't find an exact replacement b100k pot... The one I need is unique to this amp and isn't available to buy anymore :thumbd: it has 3 pins like a standard b100k but also has a bracket on each side that solders into the board. Could I connect wires from the board and solder them onto the pot or something?

5. Loleary

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    BTW Fender did sell direct replacement pots for this amp for a few years but no longer make them. Everywhere I look they're sold out... EBay, Fender, reverb etc. Looks like the one below. A few people have said a normal b100k will work but there's holes left on the board where the bracket solders into. Anyway if anyone has any info that'd be great!

Attached Files:

93-Strat likes this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Fortunately Fender doesn't make pots, so when they quit stocking them they're probably still available. One of the UK guys here can probably recommend a more local source.

https://amprepairparts.com/pots.htm#fenderdshaft

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    you could use a regular pot, and solder wires from the pot to the circuit board. I fixed a red knob champ 12 using this method.

93-Strat likes this.
  8. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    I'd be sorely tempted to take the mounting frame off the bad pot and fit it to a new pot of the proper value..

Loleary likes this.
  9. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    You can use any 100k audio pot of the same width with either pc mounting pins or run wires from the solder lugs to the board. Printed circuit boards are usually but not always very delicate. A lot of times the soldering iron pulls the ring part of the trace out and ruins the connection. I would try cleaning it with QD Electronics cleaner first with the amp unplugged and wait about 2 minutes for it to evaporate while rotating the knob back and forth. I wouldn't worry about getting the bracket part either.

10. Loleary

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    I think Fender get their amp pots built to a custom spec so generic ones won't fit right. The exact replacement part number is 0069529000... Unfortunately it's now obsolete and can't be found.

Exactly what I was thinking! Unfortunately the original broken pot is long gone. It has been replaced with a generic b100k pot without the brackets. I think the brackets must ground the pot to the board or something and that's what's causing it to malfunction. They're a 2 empty holes either side of the new pot which the bracket was soldered to.

The annoying thing is I paid to get this 'fixed' and they did a completely half assed job.

11. Loleary

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    I'm pretty sure the missing bracket is what's causing the noise and high pitch screeching. From what I can gather it is connected electrically to the pot and board :thumbd:

12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Do you think the B100K at Amp Part Direct is not a matching part? Maybe email them and ask.

13. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    It would be grounded only but the 3rd lug is also grounded, so it would be okay.

14. Loleary

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    There are many b100k pots with different mounts it seems. I think the peavey b100k has the same specs though... 16mm...3 mounting pins...brackets each side. Might just work! I will email them to confirm and then order one if it'll fit. Cheers!

15. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH

16. Loleary

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    Grounded may not have been the right term. The brackets are electrically connected to the chassis and then to the board. I already installed a brand new b100k sans bracket and it does not work right. Too much screeching. The bracket isn't just to hold it in place but it forms part of the circuit as well. Cheers

17. Loleary

Dec 1, 2018
    Ireland
    Oh and the traces are fine. Anyway the peavy replacement part should work

18. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    I know that they are soldered but it is just grounded, there is no signal flowing thought the bracket. The bracket is connected to the outside of the potentiometer which is fastened to the chassis which is grounded therefore, the bracket is also grounded. You have something else wrong in the amp.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Triple Jim likes this.
  19. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    But it shields the pot.
    That is the whole point.

All the best,
    Robin