Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Fender George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by MCC850, May 17, 2018.

1. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
    Hello everyone. I found a used GB HRD on craigslist for what I consider a good deal at $450. I am scheduled to pick it up Saturday morning. Can anyone/everyone give me their thoughts on the amp and what to look out for when buying it used. Anyone have one and care to tell me all about it? Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

hornpiper likes this.
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I have just a Gen 1 HRD, not the Benson. I’m not sure how it differs from the Benson, but it benefits greatly from a speaker upgrade, and replacing the 12AX7 in V1 with an AY7. The channel-switching relay in mine also seems to be about to go out, but if I’m not mistaken about the generation 1, it’s been 20 years or so since manufacture.

3. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
    I believe the GB model is Gen 3. Also i think it differs from the standard HRD's in that it has a 12" Jensen C12k speaker, and the V1 tube is a 12AT7.

Is the Jensen C12k any good? Would you still swap out the 12AT7 for an AY7? Could you explain the difference? Sorry, I am fairly new to the tube world so I am just trying to do my research.

4. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    They are awesome combo amps. What I would even call a "sleeper" amp, because I think a lot of people don't really know about them. I had one for a couple of years, that I bought off a guy shortly after they came out a few years ago. He bought it brand new, played it a little while, and he decided he didn't want it, and sold it to me for a real loss, I don't know if or why he didn't try to return it to where he bought it. My wife and I had a sudden financial crisis about a year ago and I stupidly sold it along with a bunch of other gear and kept some other stuff, I felt would be harder or costlier to eventually replace. I've had countless amps, and the Benson is really one of the best combos I've heard, hard to believe for being a lower priced, non-handwired non-vintage Fender amp. Mine was rich tone, pine cab, light for a 40watt 1x12, improved reverb, drive channel, and improved volume control taper over older Hot Rod's, and comes with a stock, padded cover. The Jensen C12k is a good match in this amp, I never thought about changing it. If you want less clean headroom, swap the one 12at7, for another 12ax7 like the others, and it will lower the threshold a little bit. Very hard to get a bad sound out of this amp. All in all a very versatile, reliable, great sounding amp. $450 is a great price unless it's beat up, or something doesn't work. I really loved mine, and will buy another sometime. I'll be surprised, that after working with it, trying things out, and really listening, you don't end up really loving it. I think they look cool too!

davidKOS and MCC850 like this.
  5. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
    Thanks for the insight!

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
  7. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
  8. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-O-Master

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    dont forget the Pine CABINET for an extraw light amp....

Or lighter than usual...

Congrats. Get one.

Love HRD amps.

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    How do you like it so far? It's hard to beat a pair of 6L6s if you want lots of sound.

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    For reals....

These amps are so good
    IMO gen 3 is great.

The Pine Cabinet is going to be a treat. Tell us what you think. I would swap the 12au7 for a 12aX7 but other than restock and wait 2 years to retube.

These amps are super sturdy, work hard and are reliable, not MIA but never the less a Great Mexican quality amp.

MCC850 likes this.
  12. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
    I'm walking on the clouds right now. Its night and day, 1000x better than what I was playing out of (vox vt20x). I'm a changed man now. Tubes are so sweet. Clean as a whistle

13. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
    My guitars are ALIVE now. I am getting just pure awesome tones. It sounds amazing at high levels, but what surprised me was how well it sounds at low levels. That was my biggest concern, that it was going to be too loud for me. My old lady even commented how much better it sounds. I'm thrilled with it.

14. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Get a couple pedals and your done.

Really recomend an OCD for this one and a FUzz either Big Muff or FF your taste.

It just comes alive with pedals. IME the OCD is a perfect match for these.

MCC850 likes this.
  15. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
    Would you mind explaining what an OCD gives me tonally?

I def need some fuzz asap

16. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Congratulations on the new amhave fun

MCC850 likes this.
  17. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Its not super transparent but can be dialed pretty clean for a good boost.

You can also get a Faux, Pushed Overdrive tone from you amp at a lower level. It gives you more breakup without changing your base tone to much. Again remember its no super transparent but it does the job better than most.

Ive had this amp paired with an FF, TS and OCD. The TS while nice in this amp is not the best as it makes it kind of honky. THE OCD is more nuetral so it pushes the amp in a more organic way.

It also helps tighten things up when you are pushing the amp just a bit to dial in the sweet spot.

For Fuzz I really recomend the Fuzz Face mini line. Silicon or Germamium, I like the Silicon version. Ive had more expensive Germanium units and tried them and IMO the Dunlop gets it the best on pick attack, sag, sensitivity, clean up. Loooking for a Fuzz get a Dunlop/MXR one. Germanouium or Silicon, comes down to your preference.

If you want a Big Muff try out the EHX mini Big Muff OP. Really great and gets you those classic Big Muff tones at a small package and cost. There are some better clones out there and its not as good as the MXR IMO but good for that base Big Muff tone.

I feel for this amp the FF is a better fit because its more of a Bassman type amp and the Big Muff would make it more woffy, the FF is crisper.

CHeck out the Fulltone site, get a blem from them direct for 109$, still gets a 5 year warranty.

Hear some clips on the Youtube on the FF and just get one direct from Dunlop.

Really goes a long way for not a whole lot of money on both cases.

At some point get a TS for those classic TS tones but for now the OCD and FF are going to do more for you and take you a longer way.

The FF is so versatile. gives you many shades of dirt when playing with the guitar knob and the OCD is a winner in its own right for clean boost and faux dirty amp tones and as an OD to tighten things up.

MCC850 likes this.
  18. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
    You are going to make me spend all my money haha I love it

19. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    The MXR people are great IMO, best customer service ever.

You can call them at any time and litereally ask anything about anything.

Great service on warranty too.

Mike Fuller is kind of an ******* by reputation but hes good on his warranty though. Not as good customer service but great products.

Trust me its money well spent. If you love the amp now just get these two pedals and you will be inseperable. I really regret selling my Blues Deluxe but needed to for financial purposes.

Will get another one sometime, its just a great amp. Think of a Bassman.....made in Mexico with an FX loop, master volume, and reverb.....

CUt the mids to 8 or 9 oclock, set the treb and bass to noon, blackface tone all day. Set presence to 9 oclock. Bright switch off

Set the mids to noon raise the Treble to 3 oclock, back of the bass to 9 oclock, silver face. Set presence to 3 oclock. Bright swithc

Want a bassman tone. Boost the mids all the way up, dial in the bas and treble to 2 oclock, Presence to noon. Bright switch off

Crancked its glorius. Hopefully these setting help some. Enjoy man and no need to get the pedals ASAP but yeah they are great for the amp if you really want to bring the most out of it.

MCC850 likes this.
  20. MCC850

MCC850 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2018
    FL
    Update: just got new jj 6l6 tubes. Replaced the originals and biased the amp. First time doing all this so I was very nervous I was going to electrocute myself. It was very simple. Set it to 68. It sounds amazing now!! She is purring like a dream

hornpiper likes this.