Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV substitutes?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Tomas83, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    So, I'm going to get a new guitar soon and I was trying few amps with it. Generally any guitar I plug into the Fender Bassbreaker sounds great. but not this one. So I tried others, including Blackstar HT5 and that sounded really bad (maybe it was just that particular amp). So I tried something else, and the Hot Rod Deville sounded just great. I don't have $800 to spend on a amp. Maybe $250-300... I don't think I'll find a used Hot Rod for that price, so I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what else is out there for $300 (obviously I DO like used amps) that would be very close sound wise, thanks.

2. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Strat-Talker

Mar 29, 2017
    Texas
    Maybe check-out a Peavey Classic 30...

Stratoskater likes this.
  3. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Thanks. I didn’t realize Classic could be similar

elduderinoTF likes this.
  4. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I don't know what prices and availability are in whatever area you are in, but around here it isn't unusual at all for me to see used Hot Rod Deluxes in the $300-400 range. Check Craigslist, music stores, pawn shops if you want one maybe there will be one in your area. Peavey Classic 30's and 50's, as mentioned above, are good amps for the money as well. If you find an amp, in the range I mentioned, offer them a figure in the range you can afford, I always offer less than asking price on used gear, usually people will come down some. Just make sure when you find a used amp, to turn it on, let it warm up good, plug your guitar in, or a store guitar, and work all the knobs, make sure everything works, try different volume levels to make sure there's no cutting out. If the reverb doesn't work, offer them quite a bit less. Replacement reverb tanks are cheap, and easy to replace. I've seen amps where the reverb isn't working, and all it was was one of the two plug-in wires wasn't plugged in all the way into the tank, (but don't teller the seller that reverb info.)!

Stratoskater likes this.
  5. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    Save and get a used HR Deluxe.

Stratoskater and errikwong like this.
  6. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2018
    Singapore
    I concur in part. Any HRDx is a good, solid workhorse amp, but the HRDx IV is a worthy amp, and certainly worth saving up the money for.

About a year and a half ago, I managed to procure a beat-up old 1990s USA-made HRDx that was in dire need of a repair. Probably around the $400 mark. I spent around another $400 giving it a new speaker, solving all the circuitry gremlins and even putting in the Fromel mod, turning it into a TONE MONSTER.

I sold that amp off about 8-9 months ago because I hardly brought it out of the house due to its sheer weight (this is even after I installed a neodymium Eminence Tonkerlite speaker).

A few weeks ago, I walked into my local music store and tried the HRDx IV, and was astounded by how good it sounded stock, plus, how much lighter it weighed due to the pine cab Fender have now given it. When I look back, I don't regret the journey I made, but with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had just waited for the HRDx IV to come out.

Bluestrat83 and Tomas83 like this.
  7. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2018
    Singapore
    That said, to answer your question, if I were to hunt around for an amp in the $300 range I'd go for a Boss Katana 50, mainly because it has a 12" speaker. You can probably find one second-hand for under $300.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The Classic 30 is its own beast, but man, what a beast. Some Peavey amps are criminally underrated.

9. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    C-Town, Ontario

Indeed.

I was reading an interview with Harvey Peavey where he was saying that his amps generally are seen as "beginners" amps.........whereas everyone just thinks of the old infamous Bandit. They are in fact decent amps...

But to stay on topic, I'd search local ads and the like as advised above, you could get lucky. I've seen them in your price range.

Tomas83 likes this.
  10. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Thanks. I checked before posting and I’ve seen the least expensive one towards the $400 range that’s why I thought of asking you guys for advice. The main reason I don’t want to spend too much money is that I’m planning on spending a lot of cash on the Amp1 from Bluguitar and I’d like to have something decent before that amp would be financially possible.

11. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I tried multiple versions of Katana and I’m not liking it enough to spend the money on it. It’s ver decent but doesn’t inspire me.

12. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I’ve had a few Peavey amps already and yes they are very good.

13. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2018
    Singapore
    Frankly, you will have to save up then. I’ve played few amps within $500-600 that can touch the HRDx for its headroom and expressiveness. It’s pretty much one of the cheapest full tube 40-watt combos out there that comes with 6L6s that give you that lovely fender sparkle and warmth.

14. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    It just sounded good (HRDIV) I don’t need 40w it can be a 5w for me. It’s going to be more of a practice situation for now so it doesn’t matter. It can be a single channel just needs to sound really good...

15. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    check Bugera V22, it has great clean channel with lots of headroom, here is proper demo:

Tomas83 likes this.
  16. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2016
    Seattle
    It would be useful if you would tell us what guitar "this one" is and the pickup type and configuration. It also be useful to have that information about your other guitars.

Maybe you should set your sights on a different guitar, or if you've already purchased the guitar, shop for a different set of pickups. That would be less expensive than a new amp.

The Bassbreaker series was purportedly designed to deliver "Marshall" sounds. If you're determined to get another amp, then I'd look for a used Marshall.

17. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    You are right that would help. So I put the guitar on layaway, so it’s almost mine. It’s a Charvel Desolation DC-2. It’s all mahogany with a tune-o-matic bridge, 25.5” scale and Charvel branded active pickups. I don’t have any other guitar or amp now, the Bassbreaker I was referencing is a staple at my local GC in which I’m usually testing the guitars. Eventually, I’m planning on getting the Amp1 by BluGuitar which is a bit more pricey so I’m trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible and get decent tones. And while it may look a certain way, I’m not really looking for high gain amps. Good crunch is all I need.

18. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    The Amp1 if you aren’t familiar with it...

19. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    That was a great demo. That Caue guy sure can play.

20. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Find a silver face vibro champ. Should be able to find d one for around $400. Then you can crank it for awesome drive and you have the best tremolo ever made.