Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV substitutes?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Tomas83, Sep 12, 2018.

1. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Okay, in that case, perhaps you could look towards solid-state amps, which IMO happen to perform better in low volume situations, and easier to fit into your budget.

2. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Thanks that’s a little too much over my budget. I’d be more comfortable with price at about half of that...

3. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

I might do that, but most of my life I prayed SS amps and I’m kind of difficult on going back to that technology.

4. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

I can understand. I always only play tube amps, the only SS amps I own and use at home are the Yamaha THR10C and THR100HD amps. They're not cheap, but they sound fantastic.

Elsewhere, the Vox AV and VR series is a good offering.

Tomas83 likes this.
  5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Why limit yourself to a Hot Rod, the original Blues Deluxe was a nicer amp for everything except heavy gain. There are plenty of used Blues Deluxes on the market, they've been making them since around 1994.

6. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

I've down-sized from 40 watt amps, to amps running 2 6V6's (10 to 12 watts). If you can find a SCXD or SCX2, they sells for around $200. They have modeling and built in effects. I upgraded my speakers with a better Eminence or Celestion speakers, giving me enough volume for shows up to about 200 people.

The Laney Cub 10 is a little smaller and less expensive, without any digital effects. My Vox is a TB18C1, which is about the same size as a HRD. Kustom tube amps are always a good value. But, they can be hard to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Tomas83 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.