Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender information?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Strat Jacket, May 16, 2018.

1. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Trying to find a reliable information source for tracking down my '65 Strat original specs including color options, pickup specs, hardware info, etc but have been unable to locate a good source. Any ideas?
    Trying to do a resto on my 65.

2. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    It certainly will!
    Seems mine is somewhat of a morphodite as I have the smaller headstock, yet the dots appear to be pearlite and the assembly date on the pickups are November of '65.

One of the biggest issues I face is trying to determine the original color. I got the thing devoid of paint in the late '70's and painted it with black lacquer so I have no idea what the original paint or finish was...

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX

4. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I'd do a google search but I'm at work and afraid to find out

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    A bastardization of the word hermaphrodite.

6. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Did you look at the the PDF I attached to your other thread ?
    It lists the specs for most of the fasteners.

Standard finish on the vast majority of 1965 Stratocasters was 3TSB.

Strat Jacket and Robins like this.

7. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I certainly did.
    What color was 3TSB?

8. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    "Three Tone SunBurst"

Was there any traces of the original color after it was sanded ?
    It would have been extremely difficult to remove all of the original color from the corners of the front and rear routes and the pocket.

Do you have (or had) the original pickguard ?
    If it was a tortoiseshell that would narrow it down to the 3 colors that were only available with the shell PG which were the standard 3TSB and the custom colors of black or white.

I'd consider it unlikely that someone would order a custom color and then strip it.
    My gut feeling is that the guitar was a standard sunburst.

I've done a lot of research on the "transition" guitars because I was in the same situation of trying to resurrect/salvage an early 1965 Strat.
    I had the advantage of being a Fender dealer throughout the '80s, and the disadvantage of 'no internet'.

9. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Thanks for that info!
    Based on the size of the inlay repair that will be required, my thought is to probably go with Olympic White as whites and eggshells are better 'hiders' than dark colors. In such a case would an Olympic White Strat in '65 have had a white pickguard, or W/B/W as standard issue? I can get the 'antiqued' white and matching knobs/switch knob in a solid color pickguard; not sure about the WBW sandwich though.
    Original p-ups are white.
    The pickguard is also available in 'mint' but from what I read they switched over to the white prior to '65...and my grey bottom p-ups are dated 11-'65 so makes sense to me to match it up with an antiqued PG and knobs.