Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Fender Mustang GT series amplifiers..

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JB74, Aug 8, 2018.

1. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    Recently had an opportunity to try out some of the Fender Mustang GT amps here - and the reason it's so "late" is because as soon as the shop gets stock, the amps get sold!

Wondering what all the fuss is about I sat for an hour with a mate and we fiddled around with a GT100 1x12.

Basically it was a superficial test. We were playing a littke H&K combo and not liking the 'clean', so I pulled over the mustang GT and thought well..... it's gotta be good for something...

Bloody hell. talk about good.... The presets alone make the amp worth a look-in (and I already have the boss katana 100 1x12) and after an hour of testing, we had managed to quickly run through all the presets and get a feel for the sounds.

Some of them are extremely accurate models of very familiar guitars, while others are "close" but not deadnuts on the money. Combined with the "lack" of weight (incredibly light when you're used to lugging a twin reverb / JC120 and a 1960AHW) it makes a pretty serious argument for a gigging musician who needs a versatile amp and doesn't have to worry about lugging a pedalboard and setting it up - has some cool features for line out XLR etc and to my mind shouldn't be immediately excluded just because you might be looking for a valve amp.

I'm actually wondering why I should be lugging the twin after playing with this for a little while. I'd probably spring for the GT200 if I decide to buy one, simply because it's a 2x12, and that's what I like.

Bear in mind This thing pants'd the silverface princeton, the tweed deluxe reissue and a H&K combo that we tested together with this Mustang GT. In fact the Mustang's tweed deluxe setting sounded better than the actual amp on the floor beside it. We were both quite shocked by this and seriously thought there was something NQR with the valve amp, but no - that was just how it was.

Even the JTM45 setting in the mustang GT is pretty respectable. I can see how these amps are so popular. Less than half the price of a twin, half the weight and the same sound...... I think I've quite possibly talked myself into one.

Anyone else had similar experience, or a bad experience with one? I'd like to know - It's a lot of amp for the money.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I have not played a GT, but I have an older version Mustang III v2, and I have always thought that it is a killer amp.

3. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I've not tried the GT but I did sell the tube amp after getting another brand modeling amp, it's just too good at what it does, there was no reason for the tube amp to stick around.

johnnymg and nickmsmith like this.
  4. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    I owned a Mustang III and a Boss Katana 50. Both amps do a nice job imitating tube amps but they never matched the warmth and fullness of tubes.

I went back to tubes. I love my Marshall.

The-Kid, TheDuck and Cerb like this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I'm not so sure I agree but I've never tried a Marshall, Katana or Mustang.

6. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    Here's a review (by someone that isn't payed off to say good things, even if the product is crap unlike most youtube demo people) of the GT 200 made not long after they first came out:

5 days later:

I don't think digital modeling is "there" yet, maybe in another 10 years.

7. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    IMO, the mistake most but not all modeling amp manufacturers make is to try to have their products sound like either a famous tube amp or a sound from a particular song, rather than designing their amps to be their own thing.

8. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    The firmware has been updated since that review. Shane just posted today that Fender is sending him an updated amp to review again. Video should be up soon.

Not everyone hated the way it sounded before, but the $50 price drop of the 200 and 100 was a sign they weren't selling so well. It's a great concept and hopefully they've dialed in the sound.

Green Sub likes this.
  9. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    It might explain whey it took so long for them to arrive at the store. the amp was the "version 2" firmware. Absolutely nothing wrong with the one we tried.

I literally have zero available space for another amplifier / cab at the moment. I have had to "relocate" all the gear from the lounge room into the "office" and the "office" has relocated elsewhere.

Green Sub likes this.
  10. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Well if they have the "GT" versions "sorted" I'll have to check them out! I have a Mustang IIIv2 and thought about getting another one to keep as a back up / spare. I like mine A LOT!

So much that it got me looking into other modelers...and I've since purchased a Positive Grid Bias Head Amp. Pricey but the tones and models are unbelievably accurate and most time in most playing situations I'd have a hard time telling it apart from it's tube counter-part.

Best wishes if you get the "GT"...if it's anything like the Mustang III v2 you'll have yourself a phenomenal amp for little $$.

Brian

11. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Shane mentioned in this weeks podcast that Fender reached out to him about reviewing the "new" version of the GT. He's one of the few I would trust when it comes to reviewing this amp. Should be sooooooon.

I'm a Kat-tard so I'm just here for the entertainment. :p

JB74 likes this.
  12. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Light as hell and sound amazing, huge sonic flexibility

JB74 likes this.
  13. YeOldeRocker

YeOldeRocker Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    White River Junction, VT
    It wouldn't surprise me if Fender managed to fix (maybe adjust is a better word) some of the GT's weaknesses; that's what Fender usually does. Besides, Katana went through a 2nd revision recently, too, to support some of the original issues many had with them, and I think Marshall did some major upgrades, too, with its Code series.

So I'm looking forward to Shane's new review as well and agree he's one of the more honest reviewers out there (as well as playing in a style I can relate to - hearing a player shred on a highly distorted amp doesn't really tell me much, especially via YT's already altered feed).

FWIW, I think SS amps are in a pretty good place right now, with lots of great amps to choose from, pros starting to greatly outweigh the cons over tube amps (and I meant that both literally and figuratively). Most are already convincing enough to be strong contenders in professional settings, and I, personally, don't see the point of $1+K 4 watt tube amps in the bedroom. But that's an argument for a separate thread...

JB74 likes this.
  14. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    I too would like to hear the version 2 firmware review. I was looking at these recently as lugging my HRD around is getting old. Try as I might, I couldn't seem to find a head to head review where it sounded better than a tube amp.

They never sounded bad, just a bit cold and sterile. I would love for it to sound great so I could use a lighter amp with an XLR out for PA use and a headphone out for home use.

15. evangilder

evangilder Strat-Talk Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Ventura, California
    I picked up a GT-40 last year and I love it! The USB out is awesome if you do digital recording and the line out, wireless capabilities and the user community making additional patches is really something. You can make changes to the amp with an iPad or iPhone as well, develop set lists, the list goes on. I have a Champ 20 and a Sidekick 35 that are collecting dust now because of the GT-40. The modeling is not perfect, but it's darn close and it saves a lot of money buying more amps, pedals, etc.

shooter760 likes this.
  16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I agree, I bought a Mustang III v2 a couple years ago to replace my big heavy Twin Reverb, and I like the Mustang. I think it models the other amps well enough for me, and I like that it weighs considerably less than the Twin. It's also a lot less expensive than a Twin.. I would have been happy just getting the Mustang in the first place.

Ebidis likes this.
  17. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    Agreed the GT200 is a LOT less expensive than a 65 twin reverb and a LOT lighter. Tonally, the fender sounds are as you'd expect - accurate!

I'm not about to sell my twin and buy one to replace it though - The argument certainly exists for a new amp buyer to extricate themselves from the "must have a valve amp" mindset to one of "I should actually look at a bunch of amplifiers I'd never really considered before"

It's certainly more 'instantly versatile' than the fender vintage / reissue amps. It's also ⅓ the price new, of a new twin reverb, and that is a huge advantage.

18. YeOldeRocker

YeOldeRocker Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    White River Junction, VT
    Yeah, I'm not sure the conversation (argument?) between tubes and solid state is really necessary; there are very few that would disagree that a good tube amp sounds great, so it's really more a matter of not comparing the SS amps so critically. There are now many good-to-great solid-state amps around to choose from, and most of them are less expensive (and certainly lighter) than tube amps.

My personal, internal debate lately is more how simple or complicated I want or need my amp to be. The Roland Blues Cube line, for example, is simple and all but replaces a good tube amp altogether, but it also is pretty expensive for SS and has nothing much in it, beyond reverb, to argue against just buying a good tube amp. Then, you have the Mustangs and the Katana types that pack so much inside you end up spending way too much time figuring out how to set it up and what to use. I guess having too many choices is a good thing, but most times, I just want to play...

Martins Strat likes this.
  19. Green Sub

Green Sub Strat-Talk Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a GT40 a really like it, BUT I'm such a beginner I can not do a good evaluation.

The 2.0 firmware has been a nice upgrade. If you would like a review that brings out the highlights of the GT40 please watch this one from EytschPi42

20. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    If the GT40 had an XLR out, I would buy it this second. That said, I want to hear more of the 2.0 update and possibly a head to head comparison of the 1.0 firmware if applicable. Then I might pick up the 100.

I actually got to spend some time with my HRD yesterday and toy with the drive channel paired with my Tubescreamer and wow, what a combo. But that doesn't make it any lighter. I mean, 40+ pounds isn't actually terrible for a tube amp, but it's still 40+ pounds vs 22 pounds for the GT100.