Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Fender Mustang GT series amplifiers..

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JB74, Aug 8, 2018.

1. evangilder

evangilder Strat-Talk Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Ventura, California
    I got the email yesterday to upgrade my firmware to 2.0. I have not done it yet on the amp and am not near it at the moment but will be doing the upgrade this weekend to see what, if anything has changed. It says new effects and new presets and that is all. What I don't know yet is how it will change the existing presets, or if it will. I like some of the factory presets a lot, so I am hoping the old ones do not change.

I will let you know what I find after I have upgraded.

2. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    You realise what a modeling amp is right? It 'models' tube amps. Thats what it does. Ie model famous tube amps.

Cerb likes this.
  3. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    One thing I've noticed in reading up, people complain about the GT40 sounding boxy/thin and the 2x12 GT200 having speakers "out of phase" with each other. Well, the GT40 is a 2x6.5 and people complain about 10 inch speakers sounding boxy... And the GT200 is still a 2x12 where the In The Blues review specifically called out the out of phase thing (if I'm remembering correctly) and Fender is notably sending him the GT100 which is a 1x12.

Really, it looks like 2.0 is more about added functions and features with a little bit of menu cleanup. I'd be interested to know if they fixed the phase issue, but I also wouldn't care because the GT100 would be the amp I would want to begin with.

4. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yes I know but it doesn't have to be like that. Look at the Yamaha THR series, from the 5 to the 100DH, they don't model a certain sound or a certain amp. They use what they call VCM, Virtual Circuit Modeling which I'm sure is partly marketing BS, but the idea is to model the circuitry of an amp rather than the end product, which in this case would be the final sound. IME they (the THR 100 in particular) come much closer to a real tube amp than any other modeling amp or amp sim I've tried.

5. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    I'll admit to being a bit of a tube snob, but several years ago started listening to comparisons of some of the modelling amps against tube amps. I finally caved and went to the dark side by purchasing a Mustang III v.2. I'll admit it is a good sounding amp, but something still missing... It just doesn't FEEL like a tube amp. Then I started watching reviews of the Boss Katanas and went out and bought one. And darn if it doesn't do a great job of feeling like a tube amp... pick attack, sag, decay, subtle overtones... it's all there. How do they do that? But after a couple weeks and the honeymoon wore off I realized there was still something missing, and it dawned on me what it is... THE SMELL OF HOT TUBES! I don't care how good it sounds or feels, it's that hot tube smell that gives tube amps the edge... that's where the MOJO comes from! So I'm back to my 5E3 and Garnet Revolution II.

johnnymg likes this.
  6. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I wonder if I could interest you in my new patented mojo incense burner. It comes with a complimentary pint of the finest vintage (PCB laden) oil direct from underneath the old Fullerton Fender plant. :sneaky:

7. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    The MOJO is in the MOJO-circuit. I bought a cheap tube amp a few weeks ago and it needed some TLC. While servicing it, I found the MOJO-circuit.

IMG_20181003_155257.jpeg

8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    Now that's cheatin'! And besides, we all know that if you can explain it, it isn't real mojo.

Cerb likes this.
  9. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Yes, the price is definitely an advantage. I haven't looked at the GT prices recently, but I bought a Mustang III v2 amp a couple years ago, and it was about 1/4 the price of a new Fender Twin. The Mustang III v2 was normally about $320 but I got it for around $290 when the salesperson agreed to match a Labor Day sale price at Guitar Center. It looks like Fender Twin amps typically go for about $1,200-$1,500 these days. Unless you really want the bigger tube amp, the Mustang amps are a great deal. Less expensive, lighter, smaller, and more versatile. And being solid state (not having tubes) means you don't have to worry about replacing tubes, and I think solid-state amps can potentially last longer too.

10. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The Mustang amps are fantastic. Talk about value.

Lovnmesomestrat and evangilder like this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Cant beat the tubes.....

Short of a 1500 Helix or Axe FX unit....

Tubes is were its at.

12. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Regarding the new Mustang GT series....

Yes. Very good amps, effects, and functionality.

Way better than Katana Krap.

Good job to the Fender team with a great amp series in the GT.

13. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    The Katana series and the GT series are apples and oranges, and neither need to be bad for the other to shine, but you knew that already so, cheers!

Lovnmesomestrat and Cerb like this.
  14. evangilder

Sep 18, 2018
    Ventura, California
    I did the firmware update on my GT-40 and the default patches are unchanged. I haven't dug deep enough into the amp modeling to be able to tell any huge difference. It sounded great before, still sounds great. But I am not one to fiddle around much with all the controls. I'll find something I like and play it. I'm one that prefers to spend time playing the guitar to tweaking for the perfect tone. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just my preference.

But it is nice to do a search for something and find something in the user community that you can "try" before loading it into the amp. If you don't like it, move on to something else.

15. Krunch

Krunch Strat-O-Master

Jan 8, 2013
    NOLA
    I have a Mustang IV v2 and a GT100. Love them both. Updated to v2 firmware on the GT. So far, so good. I still like my HeadRush pedalboard better. Patiently waiting for firmware 2.0 for the HeadRush.

Buy what you dig. You won't get judged by me. Enjoy yourself. Make some great music!

cshere likes this.
  16. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    Did you happen to tweak the global EQ settings when you first got the amp? I've heard it can make a difference in the sound being more natural with these GT amps. The sound on YouTube when they were all being reviewed was pretty muffled, but it sounded like there were adjustments that could be made to change that.

17. evangilder

Sep 18, 2018
    Ventura, California
    I haven't tweaked much in the amp. I record using the midi out with Garage Band and do most of the final tweaking there. I should dig deeper into the amp, but am more often playing acoustic these days.

18. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    How much better do you think the GT100 is over the original Mustang.
    Worth upgrading to? Or just go to a high end modeler like the Headrush?

19. Krunch

Krunch Strat-O-Master

Jan 8, 2013
    NOLA
    Both sound nice. Through the amps the IV sounds richer because of the 2 12" speakers, the GT is brighter, maybe a little more jangly. Via USB into Logic they both sound great. I created an aggregate device where I can record both in stereo. That sounds amazing. The HeadRush has the advantage as you can build a stereo chain with two different amps, like, a clean Fender amp with a high gain amp, say a Mesa. Then you can switch between the two or have both at the same time. I like the clean with the high gain to get that articulation of notes. I created a scene that has clean, high gain, a combination and finally both with a OD for leads. Can't do that with just the amps. Loving the HeadRush. Plus, add the HeadRush to the aggregate device and you can record four amps at once. Talk about a wall of sound. If you can afford it, I would go the HeadRush, Helix, GT-1000 route. So much easier, especially the options for live use. I felt limited with only 3 presets to quickly switch between live with the Mustangs. Fender is hard to beat on clean sounds, but the HeadRush stomps them in the high gain models. And the number of 'rigs' that are available is outstanding, and 'scenes' will change your world.

evangilder likes this.
  20. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    Thanks for the very detailed reply.
    Now with the Headrush Gigboard and the Helix stomp high end modeling has gotten a lot lower priced.