Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Fender Mustang GT series amplifiers..

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JB74, Aug 8, 2018.

1. J4zz

J4zz Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Australia
    I was interested to read how recent the V2 firmware was. I bought a GT100 yesterday and it upgraded the firmware straight up, so I have not experienced the GT with the old firmware at all. I presume I got V2 because I have the Dual Showman amp available - and doesn't it sound great too!

I bought the GT100 because I wanted those lovely clean Fender amp sounds. The twin sound is just what I wanted (until I heard the showman). The next sound I want to dial in is the hot rod deluxe.

The other sound I am chasing is a nice jazz tone. I have two hollow body guitars, a Washburn ES-175 copy, and an Epiphone Sheraton. I downloaded a few tones others have posted and they are close, just some tweaking required for my particular guitars I expect.

Enjoying the GT100 !!

johnnymg likes this.
  2. jtees4

jtees4 Strat-O-Master

Nov 18, 2011
    NYish
    I am still using a Mustang III v!....and still loving it actually. The only thing I would say to people thinking about buying a new one, or any one....if you plan on playing with a drummer and CLEAN.....you need 100 watts IMHO. I will possibly buy a GT when I see a used one at a reasonable (cheap) price.

3. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    I bought a Helix LT and the new Powercab 112 earlier this year. Love the sounds, but it isn't practical for me. In total, I spend maybe 1-2 hours a month playing electric. I am primarily an acoustic player, and I even use Helix mostly for recording acoustic backing tracks.

The Helix and Powercab cost me over $1300. Fender added acoustic capability to the GT series, so now I'm selling the Helix and Powercab and am going to pickup a GT100. It's a no brainer for me now.

I'd just prefer a cheap rig since I just don't play electric enough to justify the cost of Helix.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Phillip McKnight just posted a first look at the GT100 (with new FW) .

The Fender tones sounded quite nice to me. That said, some/many of the presets seemed a bit 'over the top' in terms of effects. I'm not sure why but the tones Phil was getting out of the amp sounded WAY better than what I saw/heard from the original set of vids a year ago. In the original vids the amp had a 'wet blanket sound'. Strange................. because from what I've read the old presets didn't change. ???

Anyway, as a VERY satisfied Kat owner (sold my Mustang III after getting the Kat) this GT amp has some nice features (Fender tones, IO display) going for it. I got me a serious case of IO display envy. :sneaky:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Green Sub and The-Kid like this.
  5. J4zz

J4zz Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Australia
    Positive review of the new firmware GT100

The-Kid likes this.
  6. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    This is funnny.

Both are modeling amps....

Apples and Apples bro.

And the Katana is a rotten one in quality, sound and performance.

Mustang GT all day.

7. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    I have both. The Katana is called a solid state amp with an analog power amp and digital effects. The GT series is all digital. The Katana isn't modeling other amps, so no it's not a modeler, unless you use the unsupported sneaky amps, which I believe come from the Boss muliti effects pedals. I have not heard of one other person say the Katana sounds bad. Check your settings maybe. The GT sounds hit and miss but the new firmware seems to be helping. It is like an amp toy and using it for fun is what I do.

Bob the builder likes this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Im pretty sure the preamp is digital.....

Going into a solid state power amp....

I mean whatever however you want to put it both amps are digital.

Just my opinion on both amps....ones a paper weight....and the GT is actually usable in my opinion

cshere likes this.
  9. Shades of Blue

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    I watched the video and thought it sounded pretty muffled. Shane actually cleared this up with me through a message and said that he mic'd the amp differently than he normally would because it was pretty bright in the room. All in all, it just goes to show how difficult micing can be.

I think I'll order one when I get another coupon. Based on how I feel about it, I will sell my Helix LT and Powercab and save some dough...hopefully.

10. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    I agree, it didn't sound good like his other amp demos do.

Mesaman likes this.
  11. Mesaman

Mesaman Strat-O-Master

Oct 20, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    I think Fender needs to get rid of a bunch of those before they can introduce a new and hopefully better amp.

cshere likes this.
  12. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    I think they outsourced this entire project. I think Fender and Marshall both used other vendors for their modeling amps. These amps definitely don't have the same feeling and quality as their non modeling lines. Hopefully they've learned and will bring it in house and do it right.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  13. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I played a GT and a CODE a few months ago. Some of their tones were ok, though both felt like cheap toys.

But there's reasons why they are made that way.
    They are inexpensive amps at an affordable price.

They have their pros and cons, but take them for what they are, and everything will be ok :thumb:

Cerb likes this.
  14. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    I agree about the cheap toys comment. And that's not necessarily a dig. I bought a GT 40 off ebay for $149 as a third amp, which is about where it should be priced for real, maybe $199. It was cheaper than Amplitude on the computer, gives the same type of sounds, and it's hardware-based so easier to use.

But inexpensive, dunno, they're priced pretty high for toys and you can get real amps for that, like the Katana, Vox VT/AV, Blackstar, etc. And without a $79 pedal purchase, the looper on the GT series is inaccessible.

TheDuck likes this.
  15. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @cshere - When I said inexpensive, I meant in relation to a quality tube amp. Mesa, USA made Fender, UK made Marshall, amps of that nature.

It does seem as though modeler prices are climbing, and some of the needed accessories (like the pedal you mentioned) can start to put the final cost into "real amp" range.

The Kemper is laughably over priced, as is the AXE FX (I tried both before settling on the Eleven Rack). Helix, Headrush and a few other "latest and greatest" offerings are laugh out loud silly with their prices as well.

Call my a dinosaur if you will, but if Im putting out a grand or even close to it, I want a high quality tube amp. Not a made by the lowest bidder simulation.
    No matter how good they may sound, they just arent worth the price. To me anyway.

For what its worth, I still think a used Fender Mustang III v2 is the best bang for the buck in the modeler world. :thumb:

The-Kid, cshere and Mesaman like this.
  16. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    Agree about what an expensive amp needs to be. Although from what I hear, the Kemper allows a player to get as close as humanly possible to a tube amp at a very low volume. (It was kind of laughable, in an Anderton's shootout of low-volume amps, Chapman kept saying get a Kemper instead. Which of course, is 8 times the budget of the amps they were reviewing.)

TheDuck likes this.
  17. Shades of Blue

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    Call me crazy, but I just ordered the GT 100 to put up against my Helix LT and Powercab. My reasoning is that I don't find the Helix LT "fun" to use. Way too many rabbit holes and tweaking opportunities distract me from playing music. Add to that the difficulty of jamming with a backing track through Helix, and I just don't really use the thing.

I'm hoping that the GT 100 gives me tones that are decent enough that I can sit down, plug in a guitar, dial up a BT backing track, and just have fun. I think even though the Helix is the better piece of gear, it is all about end use and what we need out of our tools.

If playing electric guitar through a $300 piece of gear is more enjoyable than playing through my $1500 rig, then it is a no brainer to me to sell the Helix and move on....excuse me, rock on!

TheDuck likes this.
  18. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    If the goal is to dial in sounds at home, the GT 100 should work well for that. The LCD screen is good for fast tweaking, the menus are laid out well. Right now, Musician's Friend has a deal on the foot switch, 15% off.

Shades of Blue and The-Kid like this.
  19. Shades of Blue

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    My GT 100 arrives today. Going to put it through its paces tonight and put it up against the Helix. I fully expect 3 things:

1) I expect that I will love the functionality and ease of use of the GT

2) I DON'T expect it to sound better than Helix

3) I think the GT's Fender models will "spank" the Helix's Fender models

Yeah, even though Helix sounds great, I just don't really get that Fender sound from the Fender models...probably user error!

20. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I love my GT100. Been rocking it for about a year now but I just wish the customer support would send me the update patch I've requested several times.

The amp is great as it is but damn...