Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Princeton 65 DSP - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by go49ners, Jul 16, 2012.

1. go49ners

go49ners Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I have been thinking about purchasing another amp and I was leaning towards a Mustang II because it's more portable than a big tube amp and it can be played very quietly at night and not lose tone but on the other hand it can still keep up with a drummer in a jam setting. I play mostly clean blues, jazz, country, etc.

The thing is I stumbled across a Princeton 65 DSP (solid state version) with a 12" speaker on Craigslist for dirt cheap. Does anybody have any experience with these amps?

I would just like to get an idea of how this amp stacks up with a Mustang II. I probably won't touch the distortion settings on this amp I'll probably keep it clean and overdrive it with pedals instead. Thanks!

2. go49ners

Jan 2, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Nobody out there has played 1 of these?

3. Luecack

Luecack Strat-Talker

Apr 26, 2011
    Youngwood pa
    Had a non DSP model solid state Princeton 65 years ago. Cleans were nice for a solid state, overdrive wasn't the greatest, not sure if this helps or not. But if it's a steal, than buy it, if you hate it you'll get your money back out of it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

4. Homesick345

Homesick345 Strat-Talker

May 30, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Do you REALLY wanna know?

5. go49ners

Jan 2, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    If the cleans sound good - I'm in. Also, good call on the reselling it idea.

Now if the guy would return my emails - Craigslist people can be so unreliable!

6. Homesick345

Homesick345 Strat-Talker

May 30, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Probably one of the worst amps ever made. Definitely the worst Fender.

7. go49ners

Jan 2, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Really? That bad eh?

8. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

Don't know about that...

[​IMG]

But as for the Princeton 65, here's my thoughts. These amps can sound good if you're playing a Gibson ES175 or some other full-hollow jazzbox through it. Can't explain why, but solid states work for jazz. If you're playing a traditional, full-hollowbody archtop with humbuckers and flatwound strings, that is. You can get some decent cleans with a Strat through it, but it's not going to have the same "body" a tube amp will. The distortion on this series of Fender solid states sounds about as good as when you plug your Strat into the mic input on an old tape deck/ghetto blaster and crank the volume. Terrible. I'm probably making myself sound older than I am by saying that, but I'm sure some people know what I'm talking about. The effects are kind of meh to me; the cheapest, rattiest Boss stompboxes you can find on craigslist will blow them out of the water. The amp has classic Fender good looks; I'll give it that.

Bottom line, if you can get it dirt cheap, might not be a bad amp to play around with if you have some good pedals. But, if the price is on the higher end of what I've seen them listed at, you'd be better off saving a little bit more and getting a used Peavey Classic.

9. Homesick345

Homesick345 Strat-Talker

May 30, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Those amps are cool, & have a kick-butt 70s vibe to them. The pic alone is worth a moment of zen. I think the guy on the right is touching himself.

THe Princeton DSP (along with the Fender stereo choruses) equates to dry-humping.

GAY dry humping.

10. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, they were so cool Fender only made them for a couple years and had a nightmare dealing with all the bad PR from the poor quality control. Horrible sound, horrible marketing decision to invest in a line of ultra-clean solid-states at a time when the biggest stars at the time (Hendrix, Clapton, Page etc) were looking for more and more gain and largely finding it in Marshall and HiWatt. At least the Princeton 65 will be reliable for the OP. Like I said, it's not my favorite amp but I tried to give a somewhat unbiased appraisal a little more detailed than just saying it's "the worst amp EVER", without explaining why. Also, the bigotry is unnecessary and unwelcome on this forum.

11. Homesick345

Homesick345 Strat-Talker

May 30, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon

Relax my man - No need to be that high strung.
    We can have a lil laugh - your highness - right?... Spare us your political correctness lesson.

I still frind it an unbeliavably cool pic of these 70s amps by the lake

12. PolarBear78

PolarBear78 New Member!

Dec 30, 2017
    Uk
    Well it's that old tube amp is superior to SS thing lol.
    It's like in photography when dslr came about the old timers said it was crap and film was the only way to go lol, the same people are now saying dslr is king and digital is crap lol, but it's not and Sony have some awesome cameras now and if u did a shootout u would never know which camera took which image, and that brings me back to amps lol, if you blindfold any guitarist and ask which fender amp is tube and which is ss will they tell the difference lol, I bet not lol, I own some nice vintage fender amps which I love and adore, but I own some ss amps by fender and they also are loved and are way more versatile in that u can use them for gigs and at home lol, and they don't need servicing and the tubes don't blow lol, one of my basemans has spent more time in the shop than the guy fixing it lol

13. PolarBear78

PolarBear78 New Member!

Dec 30, 2017
    Uk
    Or and for the record the Princeton 65 ss sounds great and anyone telling you different can not play for toffee lol, a man never blames his tools especially when the tools are made by the number one amp builder lol

14. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA

Dude just get a cheap tube amp for 200....and get a used top of the line mid 2000s multi fx for 100$...
    Your set....

Even cheaper any old SS amp and pair it with the multi FX in your budget....

PodXT, vox Tone Lab, Digitech GNX3....BossGT whatever....sound loads better than any modeler out of the box.

Better tone than any moddeler with all the advantages.