Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Pro Jr., Blues Jr., Blues Deluxe, Blues Deville, Hot Rod Mexico and USA what a mess !!!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Snake Eyes, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Strat-Talker

Nov 2, 2018
    Italy
    Hi buddies
    I'd like to buy a small medium Fender amp to bring with my easily and play without take my Mesa head and cabinet. I play ZZTop, SRV, Tom Petty covers and blues. I used to have a Pro Jr 1994 USA made and I hate the sound also if lots of people told me that I made a mistake to sold it. Now I saw that Pro Jr. Blues Jr, Deluxe and Hot Rod serie are made in Mexico and I'd like to know if they are as good or maybe better that the USA made serie and how those amps sound.
    Thanx for your reply
    Best regards

2. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I think the most recent incarnations of the Blues Jr is the best sounding they've ever been. For a grab n go out of that list, I'd go with the most recent Blues Jr. Lightweight, loud enough, and reverb.

3. Gemini 51

Gemini 51 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 16, 2019
    Wakefield, W.Yorks, England
    I've a 90's Blues de Ville made in USA which was my main amp, loved it so I bought a Mexican built Hot Rod de Ville as a back up, love that a bit more so that's now my main amp. Build quality hasn't been an issue, it's been ultra reliable so far ( fingers crossed)

Snake Eyes likes this.
  4. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    I also had a tweed MIA Pro Jr . I replaced it with a Pro Jr III that was made in Mexico and I love it .
    Now Fender has a tweed MIM Pro Jr IV but I do not know what the difference between the III and IV is ?

Snake Eyes likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    IMO, the guitars and amps made in Mexico for Fender, Taylor and Martin are excellent products. As long as you are paying market prices, have no fear.

bassetman and Snake Eyes like this.
  6. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talk Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Green mountains
    Blues Jr is s great amp
    I’ve been seeing 1x12 and 2x12 Hot Rod Devilles in the $3-350 range a lot to
    Might try a nonfender tube amp to
    I got a Bugera V5 cause it was a great deal
    I think it sounds great
    Switchable Watts .1-1.0-5watts class A with 3 band some gain and great sounding electronic reverb
    If your just looking for house amp
    I find it warm and clear,,perfect for just plug’n guitar straight into and turning it up just we’re it starts to break
    If the volumes to high I can keep the same settings and just drop some watts

Snake Eyes and johnnymg like this.
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Going to Eden...Hey Brother...
    Of all those amps...the Pro Jr would be my choice.

Grux, Snake Eyes, dueducs and 2 others like this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Id take the Blues Jr standard as its got a 12 inch. Upgrade to a Greenback or similar and you have a solid amp.

Snake Eyes, irie and EC Strat-boy like this.
  9. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    Stay away from USA blues juniors. I love the sound of mine but is noisy/hissy and had broken down a lot. I bought it new in April 1999

Snake Eyes and stratman323 like this.
  10. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    I was looking at the new tweed covered Pro Jr. as change up amp for recording, and adding different textures to certain pieces.

Have they always come with an EL-84?

I always thought they originally were 6v6 equipped. Is that correct?

11. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Going to Eden...Hey Brother...
    EL84 from the get go. Around the time they started making them JJ hadn't come out with their 6v6, and most new production 6v6s at that time were friggin firecrackers.
    But sturdy 84s were everywhere and cheap. So amps that Fender would have used 6v6s in got EL 84s. A Pro Jr with 6v6s (and a bigger cab with a 12 )would be a giant killer.

12. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    IMO the Blues Junior is the best bang for the buck out there. It's not completely like a traditional Fender amp, it's more like a hybrid with Fender cleans and Marshall breakup.

Snake Eyes likes this.
  13. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I wouldnt say that with competetion such as the Egnater Tweaker, JCA 20, Marshall DSL20C, Vox AC15C1 etc etc.....

Those are worthy of having a "best value for the buck\bang for the buck" title.

Practically all better than a Blues Junior at the same price point. Neither sounding like Fender amp or a Vox or a Marshall or anything for that matter the Blues Junior is a marvel all in its own and not in a good way....

The Blues Junior is a mediocre amp in general that is there because of lazy marketing and design. Doesnt really sound like anything and is kind of an amp at a price point for having an amp at the price point. In this case a Blues Junior.

That being said the one with the 12 inch speaker is the best one to get.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 2:47 AM
  14. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Main thing. If you like your old Blues Junior youll like the new one even better as they are the best version yet IMO.

Still not something Id be interested in but better than previus Blues Juniors including the USA one.

15. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Maybe this will help...

tery likes this.
  16. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Out of those two the lV sounds the best.

17. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Good information :cool: … thanks !

18. esseff

esseff Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2017
    Australia
    I wud have thought that is a GOOD thing... and I don't think there is some special marketing strategy. It is simply the smallest of a series that happens to be the best selling series of any amp ever made (if u believe the marketing BS). Ppl want 15w combos so I think it wud be more likely the bean counters not marketers that insisted on it.

19. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 16, 2018
    Louisville Kentucky
    I dig the blues jr - but to bring out it’s true potential for a solid American style tone and overdrive, you do need to do a few very simple upgrades to it. To keep the cost down, the parts are al mostly on the cheap / low end of quality.

The billm basic mod kit dramatically improves the tone - it’s 70$ and have an amp tech install or do it yourself.

I went down the rabbit hole with my and ended up upgrading almost everything- each time the tone and breakup kept getting sweeter and sweeter.

20. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    The new ones sound pretty darn nice to my ears.

Yup, there sure are some haters of this amp out there! Whatever, to each his own.

EC Strat-boy likes this.