Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Pro Jr., Blues Jr., Blues Deluxe, Blues Deville, Hot Rod Mexico and USA what a mess !!!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Snake Eyes, Feb 9, 2019.

1. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

And to be fair ANY amp at that price point will be made with inexpensive parts no matter the company and will have issues

People seem to expect more from the blues jr than what you’re going to get for around 550$.

2. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

That 1999 Blues Junior is my "voice." I love that sound and I probably have spent $1500 since I bought it to repair it multiple times. I wish it would stay working!!!

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  3. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

Just to be clear, I was not implying that you were a hater. Keeping that amp working at that cost screams just the opposite! I hope I still have and use mine in 20 years! It’s pretty cool that you found the amp that makes you happy.

There are haters out there, they pop up in every Blues Jr thread.

little_wing142 and EC Strat-boy like this.
  4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I'd get a 5e3, either the 57 Custom Deluxe or a clone or kit. A Tweed Deluxe would sound heavnly with that sweet CS Strat you just got @Snake Eyes

Here is a Mojo tone at Guitar Center for $699. Far better amp than the Hot Rod series IMO.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Stormy Monday and fezz parka like this.
  5. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-O-Master

I have the Pro Jr IV. All I can say is GET IT! (not mine, of course...)

cc407, tery and Stratoskater like this.
  6. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Really love mine too. I have the tweed and have modded the hell out of it.

C Rex speaker
    Billm tone stack, twin jumper, standby, presence, volume attenuators all added
    Output transformer
    2 NOS 12AX7 tubes RCA

Sounds amazing now

7. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

I'd put my pro jr III to work anyday against any 15w amp. I have a deluxe style cab, and a C-Rex but the amp is bone stock except for some old RCA pre amp tubes. At the end of the day its what flavor of Ice cream you like best.

8. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

I just sold my Blues Jr tweed Saturday, I hated it, so I put it on CL for 300. I met the guy at a mom and pop shop about an hour away he was there first and asked if he could bring it in to try it. The owner was cool with it so he pulled out an Afinity Telecaster and plugged it in. He played for a about 5 minutes and it sounded just incredible. Maybe it wasn't the amp maybe it's just me because it sounded good, I mean really good.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

10. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-Talker Silver Member

I had a first gen Blues Jr., and it was nothing but a mistake. But I just played the latest iteration last week, and even a stalwart hater like me must admit that they are radically improved. Also surprising to me were the “blackface” ‘65 DRRI and the current Hot Rod amps... those got way better.

I really pretty much like everything Fender’s doing lately.

fezz parka and EC Strat-boy like this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Its not that it uses cheap parts because the HRD uses the same quality parts and sounds great. So Im saying they really arent cheap parts or constructed poorly. Its just a bad tone in general.

Its just its inherent circuit is just bland and to me uninspiring. Vs the competetion....BlackStar, Marshall, Vox, Jet City, Egnater, Orange in the same price range almost any other option is better sounding than a Blues Junior IME.

12. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Strat-Talk Member

Whenever someone says the Blues Junior has a bad tone I have to wonder which one they are talking about, I mean the original mid 90's USA version sounds absolutely nothing like the latest version IV. Then there are two other models in between each model sounding quite different and then there is the myriad of speaker offerings Fender have issued the amp with, from the CRex to the V30 and everything in between, all of which again radically change the tone of the amp.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  13. southsidesmoka

southsidesmoka Strat-Talk Member

I've found the quality of "MIM" Fender products to be quite pleasing. My "MIM" Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV is, simply, the most versatile amp I've ever owned. The Clean channel is pristine in it's clarity and tone. The Drive channel is perfect for blues and lite rock. The More Drive channel takes you into the land of crunch.

When thinking back many-a-year, I remember my buddy's "MIA" red Tolex-covered Fender Pro-Sonic head and matching 4x12 cabinet...comparing the Hot Rod Deluxe IV to it, we have two totally different amps from two totally different eras; however, the renowned Fender quality, craftsmanship and sound would be comparable, today, between the two.

I'm thinking the "MIA" Pro-Sonic had a certain level of noise and hiss that my "MIM" Deluxe doesn't - this could be due to the Gain control on his Pro-Sonic being cranked to 10 at all times, differences in pre-amp design and / or from faulty electrical wiring in his house. I digress... :eek:

The "MIM" Fender products are not inferior to those "MIA". They are more friendly on one's wallet because of lower manufacturing costs; poignantly, I have never noticed a lack of quality in any "MIM" Fender products. :D

If you can afford American-made Fender, there's really no question to ask other than "how much and how soon"...

How about this: "MIM" Fenders are to Chevrolets what "MIA" Fenders are to Cadillacs. Same company, same designs, same materials, different locales of manufacture and different amenities. :thumb:

- southsidesmoka

14. cc407

cc407 Strat-Talk Member

I had a PJ USA version, a Mexican PJ III, and now a Mexican PJ IV.
    The u.s. version was sweet but hissy, with lower headroom. The III was quieter but not as sweet. The latest version is the best I've found.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  15. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker

Man, there’s one I’ve been watching on CL. It was at $450 and dropped to $400. I would love to get it for $300 but even if it drops to $350 I might not be able to resist. I just picked up a Stage Right until then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.