Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Prodigy

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by VENTgtr, Mar 31, 2010.

1. VENTgtr

VENTgtr Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2009
    Philipsburg, PA
    Anyone ever own, or familiar with, the Fender Prodigy? I remember seeing these back when and played one for a bit in a music store once. Don't remember much about how it played, but don't think it was bad at all. I remember it was HSS and had a Floyd. Almost bought one. For whatever reason it popped into mind today.

Some info is available, but was curious, from a player's standpoint, on whether these were a "good" instrument.

Also, there was a Strat with a Tele pickguard and the volume/tone controls were setup like a Tele. Liked the look of those but don't remember if they were actually made by Fender. If so, anyone remember what they were called?

2. zombiebear

zombiebear Senior Stratmaster

Jan 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don't know much about them, but i missed a great chance to pick one up on CL.
    175 bucks for a white one >_<

3. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Those didn't last to long from what I recall; I think introduced in 1991 and produced in Mexico (even though advertised as a USA model!). Kind of a super-strat style with locking nut and vibrato system and an ugly (IMO) off-set body and sharp horns.

[​IMG]

4. Falstaff48

Falstaff48 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 30, 2009
    East Valley, AZ
    Yeah, Fender got in legal trouble because the parts were made in Mexico, assembled in the USA, but labeled as made in the USA. They were pulled after about two years. I believe they go for in the $400 range. I have a couple of pups from one in my work bench. Ceramics so if you like that style of pup you would probably like the prodigy. I think it was suppossed to be Fenders answer to the pop metal craze that was happening then.

5. VENTgtr

VENTgtr Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2009
    Philipsburg, PA
    Ya, the bodies were a weird offset design and the horns were kind of funky. That, and that the input jack was on the front instantly gave them a "cheap" look. Beats me why they'd go that route with the Strat and the Strat HMs around.

The smaller headstock design was kind of cool, though, at least to me.

Ya, from what I've gathered, it was sort of Fender's offering to compete with Yamaha, Peavey and a few others in that vein. Guess it didn't fare too well, though the Pacifica's were kind of cool. Almost bought one a few years ago that was a dang fine player.

Geez. For $175 would be a steal, even with it's...aesthetic limitations.

6. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 28, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    Here's a couple of pics
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. VENTgtr

VENTgtr Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2009
    Philipsburg, PA
    Are these yours?

8. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 28, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    No I pulled the photos off craigslist postings.

9. marksound

marksound Strat-Talk Member

Mar 8, 2010
    OKUSA
    I used to have one. Nice guitar, but it's long gone.

[​IMG]

10. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Fender was trying to compete with the super-strats from the other manufacturers.......I think they realized that Fender fans want Fender........The one that Marksound had looks a bit more 'normal' strat-wise but it'd probably the angle of the pic.

11. VENTgtr

VENTgtr Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2009
    Philipsburg, PA
    Marksound, How was it playing-wise? Similar in feel to a Strat (Lot of variables there, I know) or was it more of like an Ibanez or something along those lines?

12. marksound

marksound Strat-Talk Member

Mar 8, 2010
    OKUSA
    It played fine. I wasn't crazy about the sound, so I sold it.

13. photoweborama

photoweborama Strat-Talker

Dec 5, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Just to bring this thread back to life...

I just got one and I LOVE it!
    I won't sell it for anything. It feels like a really good strat, but is different. I'm in a phase of my life where I don't want to play what everyone else plays, but I don't want anything excessively weird.

Mine is actually a Prodigy II because it had the Kahler bridge.

Stock pickups sound great and the humbucker is even splitable, which I'm going to hook up later.

because of it's rareity, the controversy, and the fact that some think they are junk because of being basically made in Mexico and trash them, it's going to be worth some bucks in the next 30-50 years. I plan to be still playing it as my #1 30 years from now when I'm 82....

[​IMG]

14. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2010
    Tokyo
    or they realized they could just buy jackson.....

15. oakhills

oakhills Strat Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 7, 2009
    Bay Area
    I sold mine a couple months ago, I didn't really like the shape and it doesn't have that strat sound but the one thing I like about it was the body was very resonant.

Attached Files:

16. rearviewmirror

rearviewmirror Strat-Talk Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Montana
    I just saw one of these at my local shop 30 minutes ago, and I thought to myself, "Hey, I wonder if Strat-Talk knows anything about this?" And what do you know, but they do!

17. photoweborama

photoweborama Strat-Talker

Dec 5, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been able to get mine to sound a bit more Strat like by lowering them, but the fact is, the pickups were never meant to sound like Strat pickups. They tried to sound more like the metal guitars out there. That's where these guitars have been misunderstood. Because they look Strat like, everyone just assumes they sound sound like a Strat. I has it's own individual characteristics and strong points.

I'm not trying, or will I try to make this guitar sound like a Strat. I want it to sound like it wants to sound. This way, it will help shape my own individual sound. Similar, but different than anyone else.

I want to sound different. I don't want to fit into a mold anymore. I gotta be me... I gotta be me....

18. oakhills

oakhills Strat Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 7, 2009
    Bay Area
    Over $600?....I sold mine for close to $300 but that was to GC though, oh well

19. Wideglide

Wideglide Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2010
    Portage, PA
    Do they have a flatter radius fretboard, to be more Ibanez/Jackson like?