Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Prodigy

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by VENTgtr, Mar 31, 2010.

1. photoweborama

photoweborama Strat-Talker

Dec 5, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I see I never answered this question...
    No.. it is about a 9.5" radius. Not flat.

2. tabdog

tabdog Strat-Talker

May 26, 2011
    Bryant, Arkansas
    I bought a Prodigy I off CL for $167 and feel like I
    won the lottery. It even came with a Fender locking
    hard shell case. This thing is a great player. I like
    the way it sounds. It's really cool,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Prodigy necks and bodies were cut and sanded
    at the Fender factory in Ensenada, Mexico. They
    were then shipped to the Fender factory in Corona,
    California to have the finish applied and were then
    subsequently assembled into finished guitars with
    American made components and stamps.

So, it's a Mexican neck and alder body that was
    finished in the USA with American parts.

They are rare and becoming more so every day.
    All the rumors and bad hype about them made
    them a short and unpopular run for Fender.

I just love it, :cool:

Tabdog

3. Judetherocker

Judetherocker New Member!

Mar 12, 2011
    England
    I bought a Prodigy a couple of years ago and I think its an awesome guitar! I find the neck makes it a lot easier to play than my standard strat and it generally sounds better for the music I play (metal). The only problem with the prodigy is the pick ups don't sound too great, I replaced them with EMGs (SA/SA/81) and now it sounds awesome!!

Apparently Fender also made a Prodigy presicion bass around the same time, wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those...

4. chuckcastillo

chuckcastillo New Member!

May 29, 2012
    TEXAS
    Prodigy

Hey,

I've been reading about the Prodigy online and well, there is a lot of misinformation out there. First, the Prodigy was entirely made in the U.S. I don't know where that story about the bodies being cut in Mexico came from but you can call Fender at 480 596-7195 and get some real information.

You have a great guitar in the Prodigy. A four piece (usually only custom shop bodies are made from more than three pieces) solid body made of Poplar, vintage style bridge on the 91 and the maple fretboards are out of this world. It's not a Strat. Not even close. Doesn't sound like a Strat and was never supposed to. Don't call it a Strat, I've heard many people call it a Super-Strat. It's not! It looks a little like a Strat and that's it.

The Prodigy was discontinued because the guitar was not hitting the target market. Around the 25 year mark a guitar is considered vintage, so the Prodigy is close to a vintage guitar.

The information I got came from a Fender rep who still works for fender and actually sold the Prodigy to places like Guitar Center, etc.

The internet is good but there is a lot of misinformation out there so be careful and get real information from Fender.

5. ChrisMann

ChrisMann New Member!

Sep 6, 2012
    Dunlap, TN
    duplicate erased

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

6. ChrisMann

ChrisMann New Member!

Sep 6, 2012
    Dunlap, TN
    A good guitar

I bought a white Prodigy @ 1992. The one with the black pickguard and standard bridge. I've played it a ton over the years and always keep it handy, either as a back up or first guitar. I always have liked the neck for some reason. It's a bit deeper and has a slighty smaller radius than my other "strats". I like the neck pickup and the bridge is good for rock, but you wont get that single coil strat sound from it.
    It was well made and was set up good with shaped frets and attention to detail like an american strat.
    I do not like the jack. Mine hasnt broken yet, but the pickguard is actually bent from the stress. if you ever step or pull on your cord your pickguard is toast on these- kind of like a P-Bass, but worse.
    Mine is 000235, so i guess I got the 235th one?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

7. longleef

longleef New Member!

Sep 26, 2012
    ALABAMA
    1991 Prodigy

1991 Prodigy. I was told the electronics were mexican but I know better. I have a Behringer usb link and guitar rig on my comp along with surround sound. I can hook up some lesser guitars and the sound is nowhere near this guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chuckcastillo

chuckcastillo New Member!

May 29, 2012
    TEXAS
    Hi, thanks for response. The Prodigy came along just after CBS sold Fender to the Fender employees. After years of cutting quality to cut costs, the master builders at Fender were free to design and build a top quality guitar. Also, at this time Fender was competing against Charvel, Ibanez and others. Charvel and Ibanez were making guitars very similar to the Strat. In fact, Fender had failed to patent it's necks and bodies so their competitors were able to build guitars in Japan that were very similar to Strats at a lower cost. They designed the Prodigy to blow those competitors away. And they did, in fact they made a guitar that is second to none. Six piece poplar body makes very light weight. Youy can gig with it and not ruin your neck. Poplar also resonates very well. Maple necks are like butter and the fret boards, both rosewood and maple are a player's dream. The 91 was built with Leo Fenders tremolo system and a vintage style bridge and saddles. In short, you'd have to go to the custom shop to get a body and neck like that. The body cavity is cut for versality. You could put any combination of pups in there.

But the real beauty of owning oine of these is that are not many around and they aren't making any more. In ten years this is going to be a very rare guitar and worth a lot of money.

9. jaym5k

jaym5k New Member!

Oct 19, 2012
    boston
    Hi everyone, im new to the forum. I just picked up a 92' Prodigy with the Kahler system. The tone knob was not working so I opened her up and noticed the wiring may not be correct. Does anyone know where I can find a service manual for this guitar? I have looked everywhere online and cannot find anything.

10. peteyj10

peteyj10 Strat-Talker

Aug 3, 2012
    Chicago
    You can find an email address for Fender customer service on the Fender website and shoot them an email. That's how I got the manual and schematics for an amp I bought used.

11. uscyber

uscyber Strat-Talk Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ok guys I bought a black 91 Prodigy from a pawn shop that did not know what it was for $225.00 with the original case it is mint and one hell of a good little guitar. The one I have seems to have made it out of the shop with a really nice flamed maple neck and board. I am close to Scottsdale and know a few folks over at Fender. They were made in the US and seem to be rare. I own a lot of guitars the Prodigy is not quite a Strat but believe me if you pick one up you may not like the pickups but tou will love the neck!

12. raspy

raspy New Member!

Oct 25, 2012
    here
    heres a wire diagram , ive had a prodigy with kahler since they
    were in the music store's

[​IMG]

does anyone know if a strat pick guard fits these mines about had it .
    also needs fret's dont know original fret wire

13. raspy

raspy New Member!

Oct 25, 2012
    here
    ^^^ they can price them for $600 but having someone who will pay it is the question ,

14. jaym5k

jaym5k New Member!

Oct 19, 2012
    boston
    Thanks Raspy, that was a big help!

15. raspy

raspy New Member!

Oct 25, 2012
    here
    no prob , i also have additional info on the prodigy .
    there made in U.S. this is fenders Quote . specs are

Model Name: U.S. Prodigy Guitar
    Model Number: 014-5000-(Color#) OR 014-5002-(Color#)
    Series: U.S. Prodigy Series
    Body: Poplar
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood P/N 014-5000 or, Maple P/N 014-5002
    No. of Frets: 22
    Scale Length: 25.5”
    Width @ Nut: 1.650”
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Standard Cast/Sealed
    Bridge: Standard Tremolo
    Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
    Pickups: 1 Standard Humbucking Pickup,
    2 Standard Single- Coil
    Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    Colors: (702) Lake Placid Blue,
    (706) Black,
    (725) Crimson Metallic,
    (780) Arctic White
    Strings: N/A
    Unique Features:
    Source: U.S.
    Accessories: None
    U.S. MSRP: $569.99 in 1991 $649.99 in 1993
    INTRODUCED: 1991
    DISCONTINUED: 1993
    DISCONTINUED COLORS:
    WRENCH SIZES:
    COMMENTS:
    NOTICE: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

the reason for the price increase is that they installed a kahler tremolo on the guitar on later models .

16. pop dog 44

pop dog 44 New Member!

Nov 8, 2012
    Australia
    91 Fender PRODIGY

523339_458865767491728_528846496_n.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Guitars 003.jpg

tHIS ONE i HAVE HAD FOR 20+ YEARS PROBABLY DONE 200+ SHOWS WITH IT.
    fEELS GREAT AT THIS STAGE OF ITS LIFE. oRIGIONAL PICKUPS WERE FAIRLY DRY SOUNDING, i EXCHANGED THEM FOR emg'S FOR THE BIG SOUND i WAS AFTER. THIS INSTRUMENT HAS BEEN A BIG PART OF MY MUSICAL EXPERIENCE. SERIAL NO IS 000149, ALSWAYS THOUGHT IT IS PROBABLY RARE AND A KEEPER:)

17. Jave276

Jave276 New Member!

Nov 15, 2012
    NYC
    So glad I found this thread!
    Just traded some stuff and got a Prodigy few days ago! I'm loving it.
    Got to say I was expecting less from it for some reason...all this mexico/usa/like a strat stuff made me be skeptic about it all...
    But Once I plugged it in I was surprised.
    The neck - is sooooo comfortable! and the weight is great.
    I do think about swapping the pups.

So, any suggestions?

I made some recordings of her, check 'em out 91' Fender Prodigy Demo.it sounds good but a bit dry in my opinion.

18. JayJ

JayJ Senior Stratmaster

Nov 29, 2011
    Aurora IL
    I kick myself for passing up a Fender Prodigy for instead a Ibanez RG570. I thought the Fender would be uncool and what did I know, I was 15 years old at the time.

19. raspy

raspy New Member!

Oct 25, 2012
    here
    yea these guitars are getting more rare everyday . another 20 yr's or so who knows especially with the kahler trem's they have been out for 15 already .

i asked fender how many they produced in that time frame , they said they didn't know .
    doesn't matter to me , i have had it so
    long all through my younger day's :)