Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Prodigy

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by VENTgtr, Mar 31, 2010.

1. popeydoyle

popeydoyle New Member!

Mar 20, 2013
    ohio
    I wish people would get thier facts straight!!!!!!! they were not produced in Mexico,I called fender when I bought mine, two fender reps assured me that they were made in the US not in Mexico, so when someone says I THINK,they don't or they wouldn't say things they know nothing about,fender prodigy was made exclusively in the USA,they only reason they didn't last is due to the fact it was cheaper to buy out the competition than to try to compete with them.

2. popeydoyle

popeydoyle New Member!

Mar 20, 2013
    ohio
    prodigy falsehood

I don't know where you got your information,but show me ONE piece of written material (news paper clipping, law suit, ect.)that said fender got into trouble for the myth that prodigy was made in Mexico and assembled in the usa,just one that's all I ask.

3. popeydoyle

popeydoyle New Member!

Mar 20, 2013
    ohio
    The guy who wrote the quote below should check his resources before saying I THINK ,,,fender never got into trouble for the prodigy,, I spoke with 2 fender reps when I bought mine and I was assured that they were completely usa made, so when this guy says he thinks ,he doesn't, !!!!!!!!everyone is ignorant but in different subjects ,,but you have to work at being STUPID

Yeah, Fender got in legal trouble because the parts were made in Mexico, assembled in the USA, but labeled as made in the USA. They were pulled after about two years. I believe they go for in the $400 range. I have a couple of pups from one in my work bench. Ceramics so if you like that style of pup you would probably like the prodigy. I think it was suppossed to be Fenders answer to the pop metal craze that was happening then.

4. popeydoyle

popeydoyle New Member!

Mar 20, 2013
    ohio
    oh by the way Wikipedia is not a reliable source!!

5. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

Dec 5, 2010
    NJ
    I'm thinking of buying a prodigy and would love to see a picture of those pups. Ceramic pups sure sound like MIM to me. What's the resistance on them?

6. mcmacguy

Dec 5, 2010
    NJ
    Well, what would you expect them to say - "we lied"?
    I'd like to hear from somebody objective, preferably a former Fender employee, to set the record straight once and for all on the Prodigy's origin.
    After all, I'm unaware of ANY USA model except the USA Squier that used ceramic pickups.

7. BigJimNV

BigJimNV New Member!

Oct 7, 2013
    Nevada
    I have one of these. It's a great playing guitar. I hve modified mine to have the output jack located in the traditional strat location. I also hadded a seond tone pot. I never really liked the sound of the puckups and ahave thought about replacing them, just haven't done it yet. They sound ok, just not great.

I have a book "Totally Guitar The Definitive Guide" by Tony Bacon and Dave Hunter that mentions the Prodigy. It states that the guitar was Fender's answer to the super strat. It also has the distiction of being one of the first guitars to be manufactured out of Fender's "new" plant in Ensinada Mexico.

Sounds like this guitar was made in Mexico to me.

-Jim

8. Ian Kelley

Ian Kelley Former Member

"Totally Guitar The Definitive Guide" lol Well i guess it's settled then. No one disrespects Tony and Dave's authoritA!:p:D

I guess we'll never know for sure what the deal is with the Prodigy guitars, that's fine with me. What i can say with certainty is i've owned several USA strats and squires over the past 25-30 years and i loved them all. Even the Squires had some unique strong points in certain areas. But i've only owned one Prodigy, got it brand new in 91, and i doubt i'll ever be in the market for another electric again. It's the best electric guitar i've ever played. The construction all around is incredibly tight and solid. The adjustment ability of the truss rod is simply insane. One word to sum it all up...precision. If i had two words...quality and precision.

I don't care where they made it, wherever it was, i wish they would make more there! lol

The only thing i'm considering changing, and this is just in the last few days, is maybe replacing the single pickups with HB's. Three HB's all in a row! :D Besides that the whole guitar is still stock. Anyone got some black HB's they want to get rid of at a decent price? lol

9. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Senior Stratmaster

Jul 18, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Kicking up an old thread, just scored one today in Crimson Metallic;

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      74.5 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      66.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      51.7 KB
      Views:

10. Ian Kelley

Ian Kelley Former Member

Sweet. How do you like it? Plays well?

11. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 18, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    It is a sweet guitar, I just need to get some time with it. So far it has a real nice neck and sounds great.

12. mcmacguy

Dec 5, 2010
    NJ
    A lot of mis-info on the Prodigy on the web. The headstock claims it is made in the USA, and maybe they were assembled there, but that neck and body were definitely made in Japan (I can tell by the production numbers in the neck pocket and at the neck end on my '91 Prodigy). But MIJ ain't a bad thing, the neck is nice with a 9.5" radius. The tuners are the usual Fender 2-pin. Its pickups certainly look Mexican, while the pots are cheap Asian parts. The bridge on mine is a Kahler Spyder, which might be the only part really made in the USA. The Prodigy sounds pretty good although I'm not crazy about the humbucker pickup, which is too loud and overbearing for my taste, and desperately needs a coil split switch.
    For some reason, the values of the Prodigy are still way below Strats like the HM Strat. If you can pick one up for cheap, do it while you still can!

Attached Files:

13. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 18, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Very nice one you have there and yeah the info is all across the board on these. They remind me of the Fender Squier Series that I have MIA, MIM and MIJ parts all in one.

14. understatedlion

understatedlion New Member!

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington D.C.
    Made between the years of '91-'93, initially believed to have been made in Mexico but later Fender claimed they were constructed in Corona. The guitar versions body is similar to the Stratocater but was an offset body with sharper angled horns. Features HSS pickup configuration and relatively different from Fender's HM Stratocaster since it used Leo Fender's classic Synchronized tremolo system. It is currently considered a rare model only being manufactured for such a short period of time and "made in America".

15. Tunesman68

Tunesman68 New Member!

Nov 7, 2017
    Idaho
    Ah the good ole made in the USA arguments.

No Fender has been 100% made in the USA since 1973. That is a simple fact.

Parts are sourced from many countries. Wires, Knobs, shall I go on?
    It is simple economics. Kinda like that Good ole made in the USA Chevrolet.

Even many other Guitar custom shops are sourcing parts.

If you don't like the Prodigy then don't buy one. I don't care for them very much at all myself. But they are considered rare, collectable and are well built. And they have gained more ground when it comes to price point than many of the other Fenders. When many guitars have started to cool off these have been climbing price wise slowly . So are they a bad investment. No

Would I ever buy one ? Absolutely not. Like a good ole tube amp I like the warm sound of a original Stratocaster.

All of the real history that I know of when it comes to Fender shows them to be as American made as any other Strat made after 1973.

Fender bounces parts all over for finish work . Many claim that the necks and bodies of the MIM starts are made in the USA and shipped to Mexico to be finished and assembled.

Whatever floats your boat. If you enjoy it then all of this argument is rather moot. Just play it and forget the rest.

16. Rich Copper

Rich Copper New Member!

Oct 17, 2016
    Springfield VA USA
    I am selling a 91 PRODIGY II with custom Star Trek graphic. Don't ask me how it got there but what I heard from the previous owner was that it was painted in California by a guy named Brent. I heard if this happening with another guitar maker with an artist from New York. After I complete a setup I can post the pictures. If you don't care about the setup, let me know.