Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Squire Deluxe Hot Rails

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by clarky75, Nov 28, 2017.

1. clarky75

clarky75 Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi All,

I am after some feedback thoughts on the Fender Squire Deluxe Hot Rails guitar. I have not played guitar in many years, I used to own a Fender Squire Affinity many years ago which was stolen. Now I have more time I want to take up the guitar again, I am able to get a killer deal on a second hand Fender Squire Deluxe Hot Rails, I never even knew these existed. How do these play? Are they worth getting or am I better off with an Affinity or Bullet. I notice they have the 3 humbucker style pickups, but I have never seen or heard much about this guitar.

I play mostly rock music, ACDC, metallica, Guns n Roses etc, interested to hear peoples thoughts on this before I buy this guitar.

Thanks All

Clarky

2. tripleb

tripleb Strat-Talk Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Australia
    I don't own one but I did play one in the store and I really liked it.
    I think it would work really well for the music you like.

3. metale

metale Strat-Talk Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    It will match the music you played and it's a quality guitar.

4. clarky75

Aug 24, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Thanks for the responses, sounds like my guitar then.

How does it compare to the Affinity Strat, is it a better guitar all round? Also does it have the thicker neck or the narrower neck like the Affinity?

5. metale

metale Strat-Talk Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    The Deluxe is a better guitar. Full body size, neck size similar to a Classic Vibe, good components and shielding.

I've got the single coil version of the Deluxe. Very impressed with it. I've got 4 other strats.

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Strat-O-Master

May 17, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    The Deluxe is superior to an Affinity in virtually every way (full size body, normal nut-width, etc). The DD HR pickups should be just what you are looking for -- some of those HR Strats had the pickups installed in the wrong positions (just an FYI, don't let that stop you from getting this great strat)

QMTstrat likes this.

7. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

The Deluxe/Hot Rails essentially have the same specs except for the headstock (Deluxe is small headstock), neck (Deluxe is maple fretboard) and the pickups of course.

What I really like about my Hot Rails is that the neck is a satin finish, fit has a rolled fretboard and the neck is a nice chunky size, in comparison to my thinner C profile Squier Standard or the Classic Vibe necks. I'd venture to say that the Squier SE and Deluxe/Hot Rail strats have the chunkiest necks of all the Squier line. The 2 point bridge is a breeze to setup and I like its simplicity for a floating bridge.

If you find you do not like the hot rail pickups, (they sound great, but not the bright SSS tone I wanted), you could always switch out the loaded pickguard for another. Now my white Hot rails guitar is loaded with a white pickguard and SSS pickups; together with the big 70's headstock, it looks like a Jimi Hendrix strat!

metale likes this.

8. clarky75

Aug 24, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the responses, I purchased the guitar today, it's a really nice guitar. Needs a setup and some new strings and it should be a great axe. I will get a new bone nut installed as well and get the fret dressed. Thanks for all the responses, I am definitely glad I purchased this

9. clarky75

Aug 24, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi All,

Thanks to the advice in the thread I had my HR Strat setup today, all the adjustments, new strings and a new bone nut. The pickups were installed in the wrong spots as advised by a poster in this thread so that is now resolved too. Sounds great for a cheap guitar.