Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Tweed Case disappointment

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by oatsoda, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2017
    My place.
    Sorry wrong picture.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Nope! Didn't look THAT close!

3. Whittler

Whittler Senior Stratmaster

Aug 23, 2013
    Maine
    That's seems to be he standard wi h today's market, pay more and get less.

4. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

For a long time in college, and before I bought a Yamaha padded gigbag for it, my Yamaha classical was living in this bag.

When I'd take it places I'd carry it by the neck over my shoulder (Johnny B. Goode style, except it was an army laundry bag).

[​IMG]

Tried to protect the neck and headstock as much as possible, but I noticed on my last string change some of the tuners seemed a little beat up.

And I have a couple of those MF cases. Plain black for a bass and strat. Actually seem a little better made than the case for my '76 hardtail (lid has lip that overlaps and latches bigger/heavier). Inside plush serviceable but storage compartment not quite the same.

ocean and LongLiveRock54 like this.

5. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    [​IMG]

Hmm. This got me thinking. Maybe manufacturers should adopt gold carbon fiber to replace the tweed.

Like these carbon fiber samples [​IMG]

ocean likes this.

6. lloyd

lloyd Strat-Talker

Feb 3, 2016
    Fresno ca
    The fender tweed case isn't as good as the guitar center cases or musicians friends case but the black tolex with the chrome plastic three d logo by fender are a hard rugged case just leke the guitar center tweed case try going to guitar center and handling and pressing on them if it caves you lose nothing good luck oh PS I'm 59 but at 11 I went to talent shows with a pre CBS dou sonic in a pillow case had I only known it would be valuable today I still cry again good luck

7. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Japan
    I have the exact same case, but it came with a 1991-1992 Strat. The brown leather(?) parts have faded and it has its scratches but no problems other than those.

8. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    I have never had any issues with the tweed but all the ones I have had are pre 2000. I'm sure they have probably changed where they are made several ties since then.

9. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    You could inject some glue in with a syringe to fix it.

amagras likes this.

10. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

There are two models of tweed cases.
    The pro series with polystyrene which retails about $100 and I think are just a step up from a gig bag.
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/acces...ro-series-guitar-case/0996105300.html#start=1

Then there is the G and G made here in the USA made of in my opinion more solid material. Just seems stronger. Not sure if it is plywood or what, but seems more solid over all. None of my G&G cases have done this.
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/acces...tratocastertelecaster/0996108422.html#start=1

11. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Correct - I think that the OP has the Pro Series case. While some here have posted that the black tolex Pro Series is better, I had bad luck with the one black tolex Pro Series that I had - mainly because it let the guitar flop around too much - you would find the neck had slid off the indentation between the 2 compartments unless you blocked the body in with extra foam, an old t-shirt, etc.

Yes, they are the Vietnamese-made cases.

Back in the late 1990s Fender was getting cheaper tweed and black tolex cases from somewhere in Mexico. I had a 1998 American Deluxe Strat that came in the black tolex version - it was so warped it would not stay open unless I put it down on an absolutely flat concrete floor. Otherwise the lid would guillotine your arms just trying to get it out or put it in the case. These also had a really tiny little piece of velcro to hold the accessory lid down (no "strap with a snap" like on a G&G case).

I wound up selling that American Deluxe to get an AVRI '62 Strat a year later - this would be say May 1999. It came in a tweed version of that same MIM case. This one was also warped, and would guillotine you about half the time (particularly if you say set it on a bed to open the case) but it wasn't quite as cheesy as the black tolex one that came with the 1998 American Deluxe. Of course by the end of 1999 Fender went back to the G&G cases so I just missed out on getting the brown tolex G&G with the AVRI '62 Strat.

G&G cases aren't immune - in 2004 I got an AVRI '52 Tele that came in the G&G tweed case. As I was carrying it out to the car the handle snapped off - one of the little metal pins that runs through the handles (on each side) snapped in half. The store was cool about it - gave me the only other tweed case they had in stock, so I wound up with the case to a Clapton Strat instead of the case to the AVRI '52 Tele (no big deal; back then they were identical cases, not the special "reissue" case they use with the current AV '52 Tele).

Yves likes this.

12. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    I love the G&G cases, never had an issue. The "Pro" cases are terrible. Got one with a new guitar once and took it right back.

As I have posted before...I love G&G!
    20170325_155439.jpg

brians, Textele and Paperback Rocker like this.

13. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Very nice!

14. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

love the black tweed, the black tolex with orangey red and the western tooled look. I would love to find the green and green one like this photo.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

Dec 5, 2010
    NJ
    Yeh, the OP's case is NOT a G+G - outside of the occasional latch issue those older Fender cases made by G+G are SOLID!

16. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    I've heard some aluminum cases are of extreme quality. :cool:

Inverness likes this.

17. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I had a 1990 Fender tweed case, it still looked new when it was stolen in 2010. At that point it had lived on a boat with me for three years.

18. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Nice try Lonn...

19. Chris_69_SS

Chris_69_SS Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2009
    Up North
    Bonus points for the Northern Pikes reference

TorontoMapleStrat likes this.

20. IronSchef