Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Warranty?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by johnnywizzo, Apr 13, 2019.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

What happened to Fender's limited lifetime warranty? I just bought a new Fender made in USA Strat, and the paperwork says that it has a 3 year warranty.

2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

They changed it a few years ago - I'm not exactly sure when it changed but it was still lifetime in 2013. Maybe it changed in 2016 when the American Elites replaced the American Deluxes, etc?

3. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    johnnywizzo likes this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

Be happy you got that...
    (Unless of course they tell you to piss up a rope...which they've been known to do)

5. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

It looks like I just might have bought my last new Fender...

Alan Crossley likes this.
  6. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

Just for fun and because I'm lazy and would rather do this than work this morning, I did some quick checks of Gibson and PRS to see how they compare. PRS and Gibson both have limited lifetime warranties but PRS's electronics are 24 months and Gibson's are 12. I can't think of any real warranty type of issue that wouldn't present itself in less than 2 years that couldn't be perceived by the manufacturer as included in the BS 'normal wear and tear' clause. If there's a bad pup or solder etc, that's going to show up pretty quickly.

2 years is certainly not as good as lifetime, but I can live with it.

Stratoskater and AxemanVR like this.
  7. Kosh

Kosh Strat-Talker

So...any instruments purchased before the policy change should still have the original warranty yes?

8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

I would think a warped neck would be the “worst-case scenario”, with a cracked nut or finish flaws being close behind (bad electronics are much easier to fix).

And, as you said, one would think that those issues would show up sooner than later.

Besides, like you also stated, lifetime warranties are kind of a scam since the burden of proof on the consumer becomes increasingly more difficult to substantiate the longer you have any particular item...

ajb1965 likes this.
  9. Chasy

Chasy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Martin had some major issues circa 2012 / 14 with the plastic binding shrinking. You pay 2 - 25k or more and the binding shrinks. Your lifetime warranty should help. So, you send it to Martin, wait six months, then get an estimate of 1000.00 to repair humidity damage not covered by warranty. Your five other guitars are all fine though. But this is about Fender.. This appears to have been a financial decision. I imagine for a company to have a lifetime warranty is a big liability to carry around.

10. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

It's a wooden instrument, so if it's a lemon, that will be evident immediately, way before the 3-year point.

Some, not many of them come out that way--dull, lifeless, no tone. Of course, these few must be humanely put down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.