Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fiber Optic...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rolandson, Oct 12, 2017.

1. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Does anyone have any idea about router compatibility with fiber optic networks?

Having told comcast to pound sand with their cable television service, I am about to pull the plug on their internet service as well. Centurylink (the equal in evil to comcast I am sure) has fiber in my neighborhood and it's cheaper.

I've been reading and have discovered that I might have issues with the router I currently use, a Linksys EA6500. I don't want to rent equipment from the new provider and thus am content with buying another router should I need to. I have asked them and not surprisingly, they are reluctant to offer any advice.

The internet is completely useless as well; every search I run is offering advice on DSL compatible equipment and nothing re: fiber...

So I turn to the denizens of eternal wisdom in all things that matter...you!

Help!

s5tuart likes this.

2. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

Mar 21, 2011
    Nature Coast Florida
    Century Link will install an OTU (Optical Translator Unit) in your house. It will translate the optical signal to wired ethernet that will go to your router.

rolandson and s5tuart like this.

3. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Thank you...!
    I think I understand that part...
    My issue is whether my existing router will be compatible with the optical network. I've read about things like speed related issues and something called VLAN or 'virtual local area network'.

I'm told about things like cloning the MAC address but nowhere am I able to find a simple yes or no. Or a "you're gonna need a XYZ router" to work with the new stuff."

Well, nobody said it was gonna be easy.

4. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

Mar 21, 2011
    Nature Coast Florida
    @rolandson : It doesn't matter. Your router doesn't interface to the optical network. Your router will interface to the OTU via a wired Ethernet connection. It is the OTU that interfaces to the optical network. It will translate from optical to electrical. You're overthinking it.

rolandson and Diamond_Dave like this.

5. Diamond_Dave

Diamond_Dave Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2015
    Roanoke, VA
    This. Nobody’s router talks directly to the lines outside, whether they’re fiber, coax or tin cans and string. That’s what the modem (or in this case the OTU) is for, and the company usually supplies that. Your router doesn’t know and doesn’t care how the data gets to and from your house.

CalicoSkies and rolandson like this.

6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Another +1. I got fiber optic internet service set up a couple years ago, and there's a box that connects to the fiber optic network and provides a standard ethernet port, so you should be able to use any router and plug it into the ethernet port. The service technician also said something about connecting it to the coaxial port (which is what cable modems use) if I wanted, but I decided to just keep with the ethernet port so I could use my own router.

rolandson likes this.