Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fiesta: A Stratocaster Story

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MrCairo, Dec 5, 2017 at 6:13 AM.

1. MrCairo

MrCairo Strat-Talk Member

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    Hi guys,

Finally joined this forum about two months ago, so an introduction was due.

The guitar has fascinated me since I could walk and talk, but it wasn't until I heard Dire Straits' early songs that I decided I wanted to play one, too.

About 21 years ago I got my first Strat -- a MIM Standard in Sunburst with maple board -- ironically without knowing anything about Fender or what guitar Knopfler played. It just looked, felt and sounded right.

I've been playing some sort of Strat ever since. For the past 10 years or so, it has been a Daphne blue partscaster, but two weeks ago I received a Fiesta Red from the Classic 50s Series.

It's a very nice guitar stock, in my opinion. Plays wonderfully and the stock pickups aren't bad at all for that mid 50s twangy sound. However, and I may be in a minority here, I'm a huge fan of the Texas Special pups. I had those in the partscaster, but they soon found their way to the new Fiesta. In addition, I installed custom wiring that allows the second tone knob to be used as a blender: when on the neck pickup, I can dial in the bridge pick up, and vice versa. The mod also has a treble bleed capacitor, which does wonders for the sound when the volume is rolled down.

WP_20171205_12_09_33_Pro.jpg

My playing (and musical training) is mostly rooted in Jazz, with elements of Blues, Country and Bluegrass. Over the years, I've played with many bands and musicians doing a wide variety of styles, including traditional Balkan music. I learned to play folk instruments such as Bouzouki and Oud as well, incorporating bits and pieces from those kind of styles in my playing along the way.

Meanwhile, I remained a massive Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler fan, and it is probably due to this that I rarely use a pick. I believe it is here that the Texas Specials really shine: I find them to have very responsive dynamics for finger picking, and it seems they also compensate for that loss of attack you invariably have when not using a pick.

WP_20171205_12_08_22_Pro.jpg

Fiesta Red is one of my favorite colours for Stratocasters, along with Sunburst (2T) and Daphne Blue (and the new Cerulean Blue!).

This guitar is now my favorite electric. Well, it's my only electric, as I've sold the partscaster in the meantime. But I absolutely love it. Can't find any fault in it, especially with the new electronics. I even like the 7.25 radius and vintage style frets (though I'm comfortable playing 9.5 / medium jumbo frets as well).

Long story short, glad to be here, and looking forward to talking Strats with you all.

Cheers,

Mr. Cairo

WP_20171205_12_08_31_Pro.jpg

knh555, Malurkey, felis and 12 others like this.

2. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

Jul 10, 2014
    Australia
    nice intro, thanks Mr Cairo, and yeah that's a sweet red strat, enjoy...

MrCairo likes this.

3. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Great introduction and a congrats on a beautiful guitar. It's always a hoot to hear the back story and every guitar and player has one. I have contemplated the Texas specials for my blues guitar but have yet to try them out. Cheers.

MrCairo likes this.

4. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL

5. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    I should add that I had been lurking here before I joined, and I've found this forum an amazing source of knowledge, which I have thankfully used at times. Lots of interesting discussions and often in good spirits. Always nice to meet like-minded folks, even if just online.

thxphotog and Prasanth like this.

6. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    I've seen some folks say they lack that glassy sound that you'd want from a Strat. I disagree: I can get quite some glassy, piano like tones from them. I forgot to mention I usually play clean, or just on the verge of breaking up, and very very rarely full overdrive. They hold up perfectly there, a nice vintage sound that I think is very well suited to blues (but not only)

7. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-Talker

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA
    Welcome and thanks for sharing. Such a feel good story when you found the "perfect" strat.

MrCairo likes this.

8. Frog Johnson

Frog Johnson Strat-Talker

Aug 19, 2013
    Australia
    Hi. Great post.
    You summed it up on Texas specials when you said “..clean, or on the verge of breaking up”
    This is where they work best IMO.
    I recently swapped them out on a more ‘traditional’ Strat set, but miss that grunt they did so well.

MrCairo likes this.

9. fender kev

fender kev Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2010
    uk
    welcome to the best guitar site out there

MrCairo likes this.

10. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    Yep, and believe it or not, they're great for round, clean, full bodied jazzy tones as well. I think they make the Strat more versatile than it already is!

11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island

12. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    lovely introduction sir! nice to meet you, and welcome :)

MrCairo likes this.

13. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    cheers fellas!

Dan_Q likes this.

14. Dave J

Dave J Strat-Talker

I've got exactly the same guitar Love it!

Welcome to the mad house!

MrCairo and Bazz Jass like this.

15. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL

16. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Welcome aboard! Feel free to head over to Sidewinders Bar and Grill and join us in the weekly Jams and Challenges.

MrCairo likes this.

17. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    Can't wait to do so, but I have no recording capabilities at the moment. In the process of moving, and the new studio will likely only be done in February or so. But will do for sure!

18. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    We're looking forward to it. Good luck with the move. In the meantime, head over and check things out.

MrCairo likes this.