Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Finally able to get dead HDD out of laptop

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jaybones, Aug 3, 2018.

1. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Had to remove all the screws on the back, pop the keyboard and large ribbon cable (done that before to replace it after teething puppy found there were perfect bite sized pieces of plastic on there), few more screws and 2 ribbon cables near the fan. Remove panel on the perimeter between drive and case that held USB port and headphone jack, another couple screws, then the drive in its chassis.

4 more screws on chassis to get drive out.

Ordered a 1 TB SSD (solid state hybrid drive) from Newegg.com for $65.99 free shipping.

Should be here in a few days, and all goes well I can install it and put it back together and be online (without using my tablet or phone) soon!

shovelmike, abnormaltoy and vid1900 like this.

2. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    I feel your pain.

Anytime I have to replace the screen on my cellphone, I know I'm in for an hour of BS.

abnormaltoy likes this.

3. jaybones

Turns out I must have made it worse. Entirely dead now.

Can't even the power light to turn on, no fan, display, nothing!

It's 5 years old, and my mother who manages my SSDI for me- "Otherwise I'll waste it on guitars…" has been charging me $300 a month "rent"- putting it into an account for when I really need it ($6000 oral surgery doesn't count I guess) has said It's not worth putting more money into a 5 year old laptop.

Not sure what my budget is going to be but I'm looking at some nicer new models for about what I spent last time.

Larger screen (17 > 15), faster RAM (> 4GIG), larger storage (>500 GIG, really want a full TB Solid State Drive).

Hopefully newegg will accept a return of the drive I just got. Took it out of package, mounted it to chassis and plugged it in, but never put power to it.

Worst they can say is no…

4. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Man that's cheap. Over here : - cheapest $US417 more generally $US743. WTF

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    It's a hybrid drive. i.e. spinning disk with a small SSD cache.

Good luck to the OP on whatever you get.

abnormaltoy and roger@pennyflic like this.

6. jaybones

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    You got a good deal on that one. My laptop is approaching the 5 year mark, I have been browsing the new ones so I will be ready to pounce when I see the right deal.

8. jaybones

Thanks @shovelmike! I thought so after carefully considering needs vs wants.

And figured it was the best option!

Older brother asked me what I was going to put on that TB drive.

I said music and pictures, he asked where the music would be coming from. Told him about using Reaper (lost my plugin MT Power Drum Kit which was a free download, and a couple other free ones).

He said that songs would probably take up a lot of room with all the layers ( at least he understands the concept of multi tracks- for only owning a guitar for 5-6 years now and never making any effort to play it).

I’d saved my recordings in my documents and they’re backed up to HP’s cloud. I’m getting a Lenovo, so have to figure out how to access my old stuff.

Counting the days!!