Join Strat-Talk Today

Finally Moved That Kr&@$£ Volume Knob Down A Step

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by voskarp, Jun 8, 2019.

1. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

This is one of those issues that I hear about with some frequency, but has never bothered me at all. Same deal with neck dive on an SG...never been an problem for me.

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-Talker

I've been playing Strats since the 70's. That volume control placement has always bothered me.

When I build an instrument, I will try to avoid having any controls on the face of the instrument. I think it interrupts the flow of the aesthetics, as well as having the potential of getting in my way. Here's a sample of one Strat I built.

strat no controls.jpg

The controls, volume, blend, and output jack, are inset on the lower side.

Strat controls.jpg

I'm not one who fiddles with controls during a gig. I set and forget, and use pedals to change my tone.

3. voskarp

voskarp Strat-Talk Member

I think I'll just leave it, as a memorial of my inability to adapt.:whistling:;)

4. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

So, you don't "get it" that different people have different preferences and experiences with their guitars than you do? :rolleyes:

And you say we should "adjust our technique", to be like you? :p

Fortunately, what you say is of no importance to anyone else.

I say... have a good long look! :D But try not to be so offended that you have a heart attack over it.

[​IMG]

How about this one? Does it make you crazy? :whistling:
    [​IMG]

I say do with your guitars exactly as you wish to do.... and grant others the same respectful courtesy.

-Strat player since 1972.

I change the pickup selector switches on my Teles, too. For my liking, the toggle switch functions quicker and easier than the long-throw blade switch. And sometimes, I enjoy unconventional pickup options on my guitars. Do I need to adjust my technique instead. :rolleyes: Nah... I adjust my guitars to suit me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    voskarp and mapleglo like this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-Talker

Are those "two potentiometer" Strat pickguards custom made, did you make them yourself, or is there a retailer who sells them?

6. frozensoda

frozensoda New Member!

Somewhere between Sleepy Hollow and the Bronx Zoo
    If you miss having the 2nd tone control, maybe consider changing to a stacked tone pot?

voskarp likes this.
  7. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

I used to hate the placement of the volume knob, until I watched a video of Jeff Beck doing volume swells on that thing. That helped change my perspective, so I left it alone; but I do brush up against it on occasion, so just a minor annoyance.

8. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Personally, I couldn't care less about doing volume swells with the volume pot. We are each individuals in our unique playing styles and technique.

But I say if that's an important thing to someone... by all means, carry one and enjoy! Don't adjust your playing style to anyone else's idea of what is "proper". Do whatever serves YOU the best.

9. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

I ordered a pick guard from WD Music without the hole drilled for volume pot. WD Music is perfectly willing to customize a pickguard to whatever you want it to be. I think I paid an extra $10 for the custom service. No big deal.

When I installed the pick guard, I removed one tone pot and wired the three pickups to the remaining tone pot. Just like a Tele: one volume pot, one tone pot - nice and simple. Works perfectly for me, and that's all that matters.

voskarp and mapleglo like this.
  10. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

I think there is a long (increasing) trend of people 'giving up' on decent technique before they have even started. Such that in days gone by you used to be determined to do something and would work until you succeeded - overcoming whatever minor and major issues stood in the way.
    Players in the 60's and 70's (you know, the ones that most try and emulte with tone and phrasing) didn't have all the bells and whistles, they had to learn the hard way.....learning the instrument as well as the amp to get your tone.
    Now there are so many 'cheats' around that players barely need to do any real 'hard' work. Not in training the ear or fingers.

So as much as you want to make the instrument right for you - and that is a valid exercise - I'd guess a vast majority would look to simply 'making it easier without putting in the work' rather than really working on skills and technique as the main way to overcome the issue.

And no.....we don't really care what you do with your instruments. You mustn't think our outrage over a different opinion is anywhere near the level yours is.

StratSounds likes this.
  11. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Eeeaaaasssy, deep breaths man. We’re just sharing opinions about guitars here, it’s all gonna be ok. Deep breath in, deep breath out, one more time...in...and...out. Keep it going, in...out, there you go.

12. voskarp

voskarp Strat-Talk Member

Your avatar sure looks like it has got that prana thing going!:)

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My one strat that has a sort Steve Morse vibe going has the single volume and tone moved the the spots in between where the standard 3 knobs would go - I also had the middle pickup lowered closer to the bridge:

[​IMG]

Zeekrider and voskarp like this.
  14. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Senior Stratmaster

I flipped the switch plate on my Tele to locate the volume knob in the same general proximity as my Strat.o_O

voskarp likes this.
  15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

Me too. I had the same journey and destination.

Yves likes this.
  16. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

I have no issue whatsoever with those who are content with the original Strat set up. I've had Strats set up that way for many decades. And two, at present, that are set up traditionally. No problem with that. I say, "It's ALL good" however you want the guitar to be.

"Decent technique?" Give me a break. There is no such think as "proper" technique. Instruments are often played by many in unusual and un-traditional ways, with results that perfectly meet their personal desires - and sometimes with widespread adoration. Let me see... Jimi, perhaps? There are countless others.

Would you like to instruct players how to palm mute without having their fingers contact the volume pot on a Strat? HAVE AT IT! And good luck with that.

You're concerned that players today have it too easy (you call them 'cheats') because they don't have to do some things "the hard way" (whatever that means) that some players used to have to do, decades ago?

That's a joke on you! :p

The world is full of different people with different preferences. And guitars are infinitely "adjustable" to meet different people's desires or needs. How Leo set up Teles and Strats, many decades ago, can suit some folks fine - and others like to make some mods, clearly improvements for them. The ergonomic designs of Teles, Strats, and every other guitar ever created did not come down from "the Heavens". They're each simply many sundry variations, which may or may not suit to any particular individual well.

I like Teles with a toggle selector switch vs. the blade switch. And I like Strats with a Master Vol and a Master Tone pot. What's the problem with that? I need to learn "proper technique?" :whistling:

To be a perfectly straight shooter: anyone who claims that people need to adjust themselves to a guitar, rather than make modifications to suit their own personal desires (or needs!) would be best-off placing those "stuffy claims" where the moon don't shine. :)

It doesn't matter whether someone else "understands" this or not. Turning a Strat into a Master Volume/Master Tone guitar is not unprecedented by any means. And there is nothing wrong, in any way, with a player deciding to do this! (Two of my four Strats are this way, and two are traditional - and I'm fine with both options.)

By the way, I bought my first Strat around 1972. I'm no newbie to guitars/guitar playing. And, I thoroughly enjoy making mods to guitars, as I see fit, to make them every bit as personalized to my desires as I wish to.

Most of us, who have long experience, really don't care much for how others set up their guitars - we realize that these things are truly very personal decisions that are no one else's business. We may make recommendations to those who ask, but we know -mostly- what works well for ourselves.

Square now - aren't we! :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  17. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Since we can these days control heating , lights, tv etc...remotely. Getting rid of all 3 knobs and control tones and volume remotely ( e.g. on your iPhone) should be an option.

But I'm too old school for that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.