Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

First custom shop Strat help

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by nayoud, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:39 PM.

1. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    I’m looking to buy my first CS Strat. I have a few specs that I’m looking for and I was wondering if you could help me refine my quest. Here what I have in mind:

1- Quarter sawn maple neck for stability. Nothing fancy, Birdseye and flame maple is cool but it comes at a price for someone like me who travels a lot. The new torrified or roasted neck, dunno.... ? It’s too early to know how they age. C shaped or low v is ok with me.

2-Alder body most probably. I had bad experiences with ash. It was too bright for me, even with a Rw board, maybe an anomaly. It was also quite heavy. Dunno much about swamp ash. What do you prefer?

3-I prefer maple fretboards, but since my American deluxe is maple I may go with a dark rosewood fretboard (slab board preferred over lam?). I’ve seen a few ebony boards around as well any experiences with them (probably became an option due to the new CITES regulation regarding rosewood)?

4-Nitro lacquer. Nickel or chrome hardware. NOS finish. I’m not into the relicing thingy. 2 or 3 tsb, Daphne’s blue, fiesta red or CAR.

5-late fifties-early 60s style pickups.

6-locking tuners for better tuning with the traditional five screw trem .

7-Bone nut. I’m not into roller nuts. Normal heel, not contoured.

8- Deep contoured body.

9- lightweight body as much as possible.

10-I almost forgot, I really wouldn’t mind a compound radius. It’s modern but it’s practical.

11-Team built probably. I don’t want to wait for a masterbuilt or pay the premium, unless I buy one off the shelf or a used one. Are they really better? I bet they should be. I’m being offered a black Paul Waller for a good price but I don’t like the pups in it.

How someone will chime in and help
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 6:48 PM

2. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Check out Fender's "mod shop." https://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/

Design one to your specs.

Better yet, contact CS and work with them to build the guitar of your dreams.

As a last measure, buy a CS pre-built (used?) and make some concessions.

nayoud likes this.

3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    22 stainless steel frets using your fave fret wire (I like medium jumbo, but ymmv)

guitarman1984, vid1900 and nayoud like this.

4. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    I did. Thanks. And tbh, I think I’ll go with a used or off the shelf model. I just wanted to know the experiences of the good people around here to make my mind on what to concede on.

Great recommendation. How did I forget that. Stainless 6100 or 6105. Thanks

5. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    nayoud likes this.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    The 2014 Postmodern Journeyman hits a lot of those marks. It's kind of a hot rod with a compound radius and beveled heel. Mine is ash, but I wouldn't be scared of that. It's a fantastic guitar. Journeyman relic is aged, but not beat up looking. Pickups that year are Fat 60s, which are a little hot, with a full sound with mids but not abrasive mids. All the pickups are very useable, bridge is hot and bright but not harsh. 2015 went to Ancho Poblano pickups, which I didn't care for too much in another CS. Has a quartersawn neck with a round laminate board, which is a very, very 'rolled' edge feeling, so much that the E strings might fall off the edge on you a few times in the beginning. Highly recommended guitar. 20151010_205437_resized.jpg 20151011_194302.jpg 20151011_194353.jpg

7. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Strat-O-Master

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    Fender CS better? Yeah, they are a little better than the large scale production models.
    How much better? Not a lot actually...

My advice to you is to get a CS only if you can't get what you want elsewhere (a different color, fretboard radius, or something you really care).

American Pros are EXCELLENT guitars... so the improvements from this series to anything above are just marginal.

nayoud likes this.

8. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    You haven't added in probably the most important features, the neck radius and size of frets.

Most other stuff is incidental.

nayoud and himijendrix like this.

9. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    How many CS guitars have you owned?

10. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2012
    Barrow Upon Soar, UK
    I'm still a 'try before you buy' guy, I'd have to really think carefully about having one built to order.

I tried 3 almost identical CS strat deluxes in the same store, they varied considerably in feel. All had ash bodies and the weight variation was high, I ended up with the lightest one (which is lighter than most alder body models).

I can't get excited about quarter sawn necks, I never had any stability problems with conventionally sawn necks.

As said, neck radius and fret height are critical.

Neil.C, Paperback Rocker and nayoud like this.

11. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD

I read you totally, but the only way for me to try a few strats out is to take a plane from Switzerland, where I currently live and visit London or go back to the US.

I can't say that over the past 45 years I had a problem with plain sawn necks, but read this from fender:

http://www2.fender.com/experience/tech-talk/quartersawn-necks/

are the newer necks not as dried or seasoned anymore...?

Neil ... i would like a compound radius ..number 10 above. thanks, I agree it is crucial !

12. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    What about a roasted neck? any experiences here ?

13. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Be prepared to spend some cash

nayoud likes this.

14. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    Thank you all for your comments, I'm currently in Switzerland and I can't get ahold of many strats in my neck of the woods. So I decided to order one from the UK, with a trial period. I know ... you should never order a strat, but my circumstances dictated it.

I didn't bond with the Ancho poblano's because they lacked the tone that I'm used to, so the only guitars that I could find with a quartersawn neck and different pups were only two. A Paul Waller master built with mid-scooped 1965 pups (not my thing... its a bridge between cs 60's and a 1969 mid scooped pups) and a 1959 Olympic white with a black pickguard (alder/maple) with hand wound 50's pups.I guess they're the hand wound version of the CS fat 50's.

The guitar has many specs of what I need, at least the main ones. I might have wanted a different finish, but let's see how that fair out.

If it doesn't rock my boat, all I'll lose is the shipping. Which is half the cost of the ticket to the UK and back?

Cheers

15. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Strat-O-Master

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    Two.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

16. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    Great reccomendation...

17. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    A lot of your specs are satisfied in the Eric Johnson signature model.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

18. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD

That’s a beaut. Enjoy it

I played he a few years back, it was real cool.

19. DeadCircuits

DeadCircuits Strat-Talker

Aug 25, 2016
    GB
    This is why I dont think I'd ever be "ready" for a CS strat. I'd spend weeks stressing over specs then I'd probably end up not being happy with it. I'd rather have 2 guitars at half the price to cover a wider range of spec.

The only thing I can suggest is trying existing CS models and figuring out what you like the feel and sound of best. Good luck to you, I can only suggest trying stuff and seeing which aspects work for you.

Neil.C, nayoud and himijendrix like this.