Join Strat-Talk Today

First pedalboard recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Kylo, May 22, 2019.

1. Kylo

Kylo Strat-Talk Member

So aye, I’m currently trying to put together my first pedalboard, so far I’ve got a Boss overdrive, big muff and an ibanez wah, I have a Dunlop Octavio on its way and I’ll be getting a polytune mini in a week or so, I’ve figured just to cover my bases I want a reverb and some kind of delay, so if possible I’d like some recommendations on those from you fine folks. I want another flavour of distortion at some point as well but I’ve narrowed that down to a DS2 or a rat, as far as delay goes I really like look of boss re20 but it’s a bit on the large size, and the oceans 11 reverb from ehx looks pretty killer. I’ve not tried it though so anything else I should check out is welcome.
    Here’s what I’ve got so far
    FDDBD645-1FD6-432C-A13B-A549C77F1A31.jpeg

mshivy likes this.
  2. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

Delay is addictive.
    I have an RE-20, Boonar, Timeline, Carbon Copy and an empress echosystem.
    All of them are immersive and captivating (if delay is your thing)

If I had to pick one, it would be the echosystem (stacked delays)
    but my favourite before I bought the empress was always the RE-20

EDIT: Oh yeah..... Reverb.com is your friend.

3. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

Reverb and delay will depend somewhat on your music tastes and there's a whole bunch of them out there to choose. If you love reverb, I'd shy away from the cheaper (Donner, Caline, etc) brands because you typically get what you pay for IMHO. On top of what you've already mentioned, MXR 300 is a good all arounder that goes from spring to shimmer. Fender Marine Layer is another nice versatile verb. For digital delay, the EHX Canyon or Grand Canyon are on a lot of boards and for analog MXR Carbon Copy or Echoplex are top notch. The Wampler Ethereal is a nice reverb/delay combo that sounds really nice. Anything from Boss is likely to please as well.

Pedals are a rabbit hole but if you go with used, you can get most of your money back reselling them if you don't like them.

And most importantly, have fun!!

JB74 likes this.
  4. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

+1 for the marine layer reverb. If you have a fender amp with spring reverb, it is perfect compliment (marine layer doesn't have spring reverb - because your fender amp does, get it?).

If you're concerned about pedalboard space and you want a lot of effects in a single unit - strymon mobius will net you chorus/flanger/phaser/rotary/vibe/bitcrusher/autoswell/multiple tremolos/vocoder/ringmod.
    but the caveat is one effect at a time (can't stack)

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

The Echoplex is an analog dry path but the delay is digital not analog.

6. four eyes

four eyes Strat-Talk Member

Reverbs and delays are so taste specific, but ill say that I have two boss dd-3 delays on my board. One is set for a longer ala “Where the streets have no name” type of effect. The second is set for more of a slapback sound. There are better, more expensive units that will do the slapback thing wayyy better, but I only fart around with it once in a while, so it works for me. With that out of the way, let me just offer this. I, too have an ibanez wh-10 wah. In my experience it likes to have a buffered pedal in front of it so it doesn't suck so much high end from the signal. If you get the polytune, make sure you get the one with the built-in “BonaFide” buffer. Of course, as with everything subjective, YMMV...

Cheers!

7. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

IMO the essential effects are overdrive, fuzz, wah, reverb, and delay. You've already got the first three. And octave.

Delay & reverb, there are a lot of different options (sometimes in the same pedal) and you hardly ever want both on at the same time. If you have a built-in reverb that you like, you may not need a reverb pedal on the board. If I was to add a reverb pedal I'd really like to try a Strymon Flint, mostly because Gary Clark Jr. uses one and that's a tone I'm chasing. That pedal has 3 flavors of reverb as well as tremolo effect.

If you're into David Gilmour stuff you'll want at least 2 delays. Early Floyd used an Echorec, but it was unreliable for live shows and by the time The Wall was touring he'd ditched in favor of Boss DD2 pedals. Multiple, set to different lengths as described by @four eyes.

There are a variety of analog, digital, and tape delay effects available. I haven't personally played with enough different types to tell you what the differences are, but the tape delay kind has the best hype.

8. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

The newer digital Tae emulation/ Analog emulation pedals sound good and have a lot of options.
    Good luck whatever you get

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

A good option for delay is the TC Flashback or TC Alter Ego - they contain a lot of the classic delay sounds, plus you can download any one of a hundred or more different artist prints that are tweaks of classic sounds, plus the last I looked they have free toneprint editor software that you can actually create your own delay sounds and then download it to the pedal.
    The really cool thing is that you can actually beam toneprints into the pedal via your smartphone.
    It allows you to basically have a box full of different delays at your disposal to experiment until you find something you like.

Stratoskater, Electgumbo and Chont like this.
  10. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Ding ding ... the Flashback is tough to beat in its size class. Mine been holding down the delays on my gig board for a few years now.

Stratoskater likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.