Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

First Real Gig -- UPDATE

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    We were the opening act, the band "Half Full" that nobody ever heard about... 30-40 people came specifically for us though since we've played parties and have a little following of friends and family now, plus random people...

We played 11 songs, 10 originals.. we got scolded for doing a cover of "Just a Friend" by Biz Markie half way through.. no problem we have plenty of originals

We didn't have any bad mess ups, and people were cheering and screaming at multiple parts.. During short tech difficulty with the drum keep moving, I talked about tipping the bartender, thanking for coming out etc.. went smoothly

it get's even better, for us, not the venue....

at least 90% of the crowd left when we stopped playing...

The next band, very skilled players, bunch of kids under 21 years old... played 5 songs that all sounded very similar then tried to do a Green day cover, the owner cut them off.. The band said they only have 5 originals so they stopped playing

Then the next "band", the headliner... Was one guy with an acoustic guitar singing, SUPPOSEDLY his band didn't show up.. he did like 3 songs, I hate to say someone is bad, but it was not entertaining at all.. and by that time it was only a few employees, me, my gf, and the lead guitarist in the band watching

We weren't expecting anything but they ended up paying us $25 total for the band... We made them at least $400-500 in cover charges and drinks people bought in the 45 minutes on a Thursday night at 8:30pm.. The owners were soooo appreciative of us, they will DEFINITELY be hiring us again, likely as a headliner and on a Friday or Saturday... Everyone there was telling us we need to play downtown at bigger better venues

I'll try to post pics and vids as I can.. took me hours just to post this... Working :( ... being back at work while all I can think about is writing more songs and playing is torture

Dallaz, Kstu, albala and 9 others like this.

2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Great to hear. Glad it went so well

apm1991 likes this.

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Awesome, congrats.... I wish I had the "you know what" to get up on stage and play. I only play for my GF and myself and that's spooky enough.....

nuculer terrist and apm1991 like this.

4. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    you can do it!

5. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-O-Master

Jun 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    That’s sound that it was a great gig. And maybe next time he’ll pay ya more too.

apm1991 likes this.

6. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Well done matey! That's what makes all the preparation you clearly did worthwhile

:D :D

apm1991 likes this.

7. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    Hell yeah! I'm going to point out how much we made them and how bad the "headliners" were.. Now we can negotiate... I'll say we want half of the covers

8. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I practice so much that I was mostly stressed about everything except my playing.. cables, strings, I was freaking out, "My g string isn't staying in tune".. Such a great experience! I couldn't go to bed until 3am

Bob the builder and s5tuart like this.

9. strat_strummer

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    You haven't heard me play my friend.......o_O

10. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    practice 2-4 hours a day... it works lol

s5tuart likes this.

11. strat_strummer

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Actually I play several times a day, I'm retired. My health issues wouldn't allow it if I wanted to but I play one hell of a air guitar..

apm1991 likes this.

12. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    Glad it went so well! Congrats

apm1991 likes this.

13. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    Great news, looks like you are on the way up, keep at it :thumb:

apm1991 likes this.

14. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    gotcha... lol

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Great!!!

Scolded...
    How?

16. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    They came up to us after we played it and said, "No more covers".. after our set, the owner said he saw a lot of people recording us, and he said if it gets on youtube he will get fined 10k because the name of the venue is in the background... My gf said when we played the cover though he changed the lighting so the crowd couldn't see us on stage, they turned off the lights on us and put it all on the crowd.... We didn't care, I'd rather play originals, we spend so much time on them anyway and we have more than enough... The next band threw a little fit because they only had 5 originals and 6 covers... I'm realizing young musicians (especially lame rappers) want all the fame with little work.. They make ONE song and try to milk it like crazy... I wrote 15 originals and practiced 1000's of hours before even making a facebook for myself, let alone the band.. Our marketing/social media exposure is garbage but put us on stage and we'll play the entire night

17. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Don't diss the other band. It's an amateurish CS (chicken poop) move.

18. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    download.jpeg

19. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I'm glad your gig went well. Don't get full of yourself though. Rappers put in hard work too, its a different medium. Also, there is nothing wrong with being a 1 hit wonder and milking it. I wish I was a one hit wonder instead of 0 hit unknown dude.

apm1991 and fezz parka like this.

20. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    for sure I understand, I wouldn't say that... I went up to the band after us and told them they did awesome etc.. they were talented... The headliner was one guy with an acoustic guitar though who did 3 songs, I won't say he's bad but nobody cared to watch him, except for me. I was the only person besides the lead guitar in our band who sat there and listened and watched the entire thing. I applauded each song and said good job