Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

First Strat Ever Made

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by BluesDontCare, Mar 8, 2017.

1. BluesDontCare

BluesDontCare Strat-Talker

May 26, 2016
    Heart of Rock&Roll
    Anyone now anthing about it? I couldnt find anything on the net.

2. josh owen

josh owen Strat-Talker

Jan 6, 2015
    Tennessee
    Don't know current whereabouts of first made, but David Gilmour owns first with a serial #.

3. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Somewhere on YouTube is a video of George Gruhn looking at a really early one, but I forget now whether or not it was claimed to be the very first.

4. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    There's a thread from a while back, called "Pre-production 1954 Strats" or something of that nature. It has several posts about the '53 prototype that was in the big Fender book "Sound Heard Round the World". The owner has since passed away, but the last I heard his family still has it.

5. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Is this the guitar you're talking about?: https://sites.google.com/site/1953stratocaster/

Tone Deaf, Chont and BluesDontCare like this.
  6. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    There is a rumor around town that some guy in Lafayette has a proto type Strat. One of my buddies says he's seen it. It have to ask him about it and post what he says here...

Wayne D. likes this.
  7. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
  8. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    circles likes this.
  9. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    What was first year for 3TSB. ?

10. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona

ocean and BluesDontCare like this.
  11. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Very cool article

12. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Would love to hear more about this one my friend!

13. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    From what I've found out Leo had four or five late 1953 early 1954 strat bodies that he used to work out his ideas on.
    The one above, Jerry's '53, Leo was doing some trem cavity work and maybe thinking of adding some type of switch to the front of the body.
    There is also a strat that Trevor Turner photographed with 1-54 in the trem cavity and PRO-1 54 on the neck heel.

The remaining two or three were supposedly destroyed.

54 Strat PRO-1 1.jpg 54 Strat PRO-1 2 Trevor Turner.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    BluesDontCare likes this.
  14. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Not much more then a tall tale. I asked my buddy to recall the story of the alleged proto type Strat... I cut and pasted his reply....

I was at the bookstore looking at guitar magazines , and this older dude came up to me asking if I knew about Stratocasters. I told him that I have one or two. He said that his dad had an early prototype. He also said that it looked quite different than the production models, maybe the headstock smaller? His dad was some local country and western singer or player. Maybe his nickname was Fuzzy or Buzzy? I seem to remember him saying that he never showed the guitar to anyone, or had any photos of it because he didn't want people to start copying the design calling them originals. I Googled his dad's name the next day, but I never found anything. I don't remember the last name now. I just thought the guy was a bit out there. He had spray on hair to cover his bald spot & it looked like it over sprayed onto his white shirt. I never really put full stock his story, but maybe it's true. Wish I could remember his name.

Another story I heard recently is that Leo Fender copied the headstock design from Romero music company's design. LOL! Harold Romero's grandson, I believe, is the one that told that story to the other guitar player in the band. That's what he was told by the old guys!

So there we have a fishing story....

BluesDontCare and Wayne D. like this.
  15. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Thanx for the reply Electgumbo. Actually Leo borrowed his headstock design from Paul Bigsby. I'll have to check into the Fuzzy story. You never know, there are a lot of kooks out there looking for their day in the limelight.

16. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Yes most of us have seen pictures of that old Bigsby..

17. Bluebird_12

Bluebird_12 Strat-Talker

Feb 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    So, who has the PRO 1-54 shown above, now?

18. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Scotty Turner bought the strat from Leo in 1954 and let Jimmy Bryant use it on a few songs Scotty was producing for an album down in Texas at the Norman Petty studio.
    During one of those sessions a young Buddy Holly entered and actually held that strat, the first one Buddy had ever seen! In 2009 Scotty passed away and his son Trevor came into possession of the strat. I believe he still has it today.:)

19. Bluebird_12

Bluebird_12 Strat-Talker

Feb 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Wow, so it is complete guitar, all parts from '54?