Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

First time...Learning to Fly

Discussion in 'The Online Jam Forum' started by martynrss2, Apr 19, 2017.

1. martynrss2

martynrss2 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2010
    Aberdeen
    So, this is both my first ever upload to anywhere of me playing guitar, and of me singing (so be gentle )

Joking aside, I actually felt pretty nervous and very self conscious. I've been wanting to try to play and sing together for a while, but I'm terribly uncoordinated, so I picked a nice easy song to go along with. I made a few mistakes, but thought it was okay for a quick recording.

Apologies for the Les Paul! But it's my new toy, and the wine, Les Paul and amp were downstairs, and the Strat upstairs - and I'm lazy. I was playing a 2016 LP Traditional through a boss bd2, Mooer shimverb and a ditto looper and finally into a Vox AC4 head and cab. I also included a quick video of me noodling afterwards for some fun. I'll do one with the start soon...

Hope you like it, as ever any feedback is welcome and apologies, it was recorded.
    on my phone

2-Finger, Mouse, Family Man and 9 others like this.

2. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    Anybody who has the cojones to post a vid of themselves singing gets a thumbs-up from me :thumb:

Cheers.

Family Man, jeepguy242 and circles like this.

3. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up Yonder Way
    Great sounding LP there, Marty:)

4. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I liked it. Keep posting as you move along.

5. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Good going, as said above anyone who is willing to put it out there gets a huge thumbs up from me. Looking forward to hearing more as you get used to doing this. Again, big thumbs up!

Family Man likes this.

6. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Very nice! You've broken the ice and played that well. Props for singing and playing as that can be tough. I like the flip to the looper to keep the rhythm going for the solo. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

7. Chief101

Chief101 Strat-O-Master

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    Good job. What's the chord progression on Learning to Fly?

8. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Thanks for sharing...singing and playing are NOT easy. Well done.

You can look back on stuff like this down the road and see your progress, which can be very encouraging.

9. Sonic Steve

Sonic Steve Strat-Talk Member

Jan 23, 2017
    London
    Good stuff mate, sounding good!!

10. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Nice job. I agree with @nhsdpl . I've never posted anything. I especially like the bluesy tone and riffs. No need to be nervous here. Also plenty of closet LPs here.

radstringz likes this.

11. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm not going to criticize anyone who has the guts to post their stuff. I just have one question/comment.

On the first video your strum technique was radically different than on the second vid. When I watched it I was thinking "needs work on the right hand"... and then on the second vid you were flat picking individual notes, then again strumming and it was much more fluid than the first video with strumming only. Why the difference in strumming between the two examples? I liked your technique on your second example much better.