Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

First time on stage - with an electric guitar

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by JamesE, Oct 26, 2018.

1. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    I've been performing in public over 50 years, but tonight was my first outing with my DIY strat. There's local jam once a month, and there I was. Not my best performance by any means, but I know there are millions who could never take that small step onto a stage. I've always lover performing in public - now I have another instrument to do it with. Will I be at the jam session next month? Try and stop me!

2. anticarnist

anticarnist Strat-Talk Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Santa Cruz
    Awesome! Playing with other people is, in my opinion, one of the most beneficial ways to build confidence and expand improvisational technique.

3. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

4. nungesser

nungesser running with the moonshine dogs Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    well done! Hope ya had a blast!

5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Yahoo
    Yahoo...
    Yahoo....
    Thanks for sharing

6. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Congratulations! Well done. Here’s to many more!

Nate D likes this.
  7. Tcon

Tcon Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2016
    KCMO
    I wish I had somebody to play with :( Nobody I know has enough talent to blow a kazoo!

craigh likes this.
  8. Elmo

Elmo Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2018
    Dalton GA
    You know I always felt more at ease in front of a large crowd than I did in front of a smaller audience. I remember the first time that I performed solo with just a mic and a flat top guitar, I was a nervous wreck.

circles and Strat Jacket like this.
  9. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I choke in the spotlight, big-time. Always have, always will.

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
  11. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Congrats on the good jam experience!

I really ought to get out more myself. Have some fun, and meet some new players and potential collaborators.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  12. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    You choke? Like, you can’t play at all, or just play like crap? It just takes practice. I’ve read of guitar gods that vomit before a performance from stress.

Work through it!

BallisticSquid and Strat Jacket like this.
  13. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Like flub it, big time. You know, like the dweeb sitting around the campfire messing up and going "No, wait!" and starting over like six times? Botching the leads, etc...
    If nobody's watching or paying attention though, I'm fine.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  14. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    US
    Join the club

Nate D likes this.
  15. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I’m just pointing out that you aren’t the first, or the only one to experience performance anxiety. It’s normal, and something (almost) everyone experiences it, and has to work through it.

It’s helped me that I have always performed in an ensemble, and not solo so I can easily shift the blame if things don’t go right! ;)

I’m by nature quite shy and introverted, but have forced myself to put on a confident persona (originally for business as I used to work in a managerial position), but I can also slip into the (unnatural to me) confident role when playing as well.

If all else fails, try the tried and true method of imagining all of the audience members as being naked! Picturing them as naked apparently will make you feel less so...

One needs to confront their performance fears. That’s why teachers have beginners do “recitals” from the very beginning, to help them overcome performance anxiety right from the start.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  16. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thank you all very much. It was a great experience. I'd not met them before, and I guess I was the least polished player when I took the lead. We had a tenor sax player, so it was nice just improvising in the background. Despite all my years performing, I was still nervous. But - what a feeling!

Sorry to hear some of you don't have the chance to jam. Sometimes we don't appreciate how lucky we are. I know I'm lucky to have the chance to play.

17. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    That’s how it was for me in Cincinnati. I’ve been meeting some real cool players since moving to the Philly area.

18. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Good for you! The experience will give you confidence to continue. Carry on......

19. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Awesome!! Congrats! Nothing like playing music on stage.

I can't tell you how many times I've flubbed on stage in a big way. Happened just this past weekend. We hit a part of the song with a repeating riff and I totally blanked on where it started. Here? No! Maybe there? No!! Over here? Ah, closer. Oh, there it is!!

That was quite literally the dialog in my head for about 10 seconds :).

Happens to everybody. With experience, you learn to roll with it and not let it throw you. When it gets to you, it turns into a downward spiral.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  20. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Well done! I support your efforts. Yes, that first step is a doozy.