Join Strat-Talk Today

First time playing with other people in 20+ years

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Cerb, Mar 18, 2019.

1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I would just like to add a thought here.
    Being considerate and appropriate with your volume is great.
    I look for that trait in musicians i get to play with. It shows a "presence" of mind to the situation you're in.

However, there is a difference between being considerate/appropriate with volume, and being timid.

Don't be timid. The other musicians want to (and need to) hear what you are playing.
    If you play the greatest note ever played, you want it to be heard !

Turn it up a little.

s5tuart, Cerb and montemerrick like this.
  2. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

stop worrying about it.

you won't be able to force it, so don't try. there's no law that says one must solo. it's okay to pass on them if you don't feel you have something.

and by the same token, i have heard wonderful solos that were but a few notes with space in between.

sure you can put together a couple of cliches, though you might want to get sneaky...use jazz cliches not blues. they are not any more difficult and chances are blues players won't know them ...

but really, it's about having fun. focus on that and you'll emerge way ahead of the curve.

montemerrick and Cerb like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Thank you. It's appreciated. The ones I'm using at the moment are branded Earpeace. They come with filters for three levels of attenuation. Compared to others I've tried, they're good, but I find it hard to hear what everone's playing unless I'm sat out front. Also, with the max attenuation, conversation is very difficult.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Have you checked these out? You can change filters for different attenuation levels and they're supposed to preserve the audio spectrum.

https://m.thomann.de/se/fischer_amps_gehoerschutz.htm?o=0&search=1553259067

simoncroft likes this.
  5. Cerb

Thanks Si, great advice all taken in.

Thanks. i know I don't have to but I also know I'll regret it if I don't :)

6. rocknrollrich

I struggle with this myself.
    I want to protect my hearing, but my earplugs just take to much away, and I sing (a lot) which is difficult when wearing earplugs.
    I can hear my own heartbeat on stage with my earplugs in, and when i sing, my inner head voice is overwhelming.

Cerb likes this.
  7. rocknrollrich

You are almost certainly more knowledgeable about the subject than I, but maybe this will help.

Etymotic ER20xs.

I was mistaken earlier when i said they attenuated different frequencies at different levels.
    Apparently it's the exact opposite that makes earplugs high-fi.

They are a bit pricey (ER20xs), but i may give them a try.

simoncroft and Cerb like this.
  8. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Less is more?

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Stick with it. It will become more instinctive, you’ll play stuff that you won’t remember exactly what you just played when it’s over. It’s a bit like learning another language. For as long as you think in your native tongue and translate in your head before speaking, it’s hard work. You need to think in sounds, not the name and position of notes on the board. This might sound like hairy fairy thinking but I can’t put it into words any better. By all means, learn and use a few ‘standard’ licks but, before long, you’ll be building a repertoire of your standard licks! I’d always been a (not very good) country type soloist, more chicken s**t than chicken picking! Asked my teacher for help to play more bluesy and this was his advice. He also strummed a chord sequence and got me to solo over it using just one note! Brilliant way to get different rhythms and timings sorted. Working for me, I’m now more if a (not very good) bluesy player! One other tip, if you hit a wrongen, one sliding one fret in either direction will usually fix it and sound like it was meant! Good luck

10. Cerb

I'll go buy a set of those tomorrow.

simoncroft and rocknrollrich like this.
  11. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Thank you for the input. Very much appreciated. The most expensive guitar I own is worth about $3,500. What price my hearing?

Cerb and rocknrollrich like this.
  12. rocknrollrich

Hearing...... priceless.
    I'm not sure if what I recommended is any better than what you are currently using for protection.
    Earpeace plugs have good reviews, i don't know that the Etymotic is any better.
    All the best.
    Rich

Cerb and simoncroft like this.
  13. Cerb

The lead guitarist of the band dropped out due to too many other engagements and I've been offered a permanent spot, or possibly one in a new constellation. I think it's time I try to step up my game...

14. Cerb

So next blues jam is tomorrow and we're supposed to play. I've opted out of soloing over the fast blues but I intend to give the slow one in G a shot. I just wanted a sanity check, I play too much and there are some bad bends but would something like this be passable?

15. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

It wasn’t until I read this explanation of the rhythm of blues that I “got it” - “what’s tricky about a swing blues rhythm is that is has a triplet feel played in quarter notes”. So even though there might be 4 quarter notes - they aren’t played 1 and 2 and - A swing blues rhythm is played 1 and uh 2 and uh

So you hold the 1st note longer then the second. A triplet feel applied to quarter notes That’s why folks struggle with blues sometimes. So you’re probably trying to play straight up quarter notes and hitting rock and roll type accents each measure in your soloing when you should be hitting the 1 , uh, 2

Takes a bit to get your left hand fingerings to hit those different accents and phrase the notes together

Hope this helps

Bowmap and Cerb like this.
  16. Cerb

Thanks. Yes, that is exactly the thing that trips me up. Have a few hours to work on it tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.