Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Floating or decked bridge a la Hendrix on Amercan Special Strat 2010

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jalexquijano, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jalexquijano

jalexquijano Strat-Talk Member

Did Jimi Hendrix had his woodstock strat bridge decked or floating. I just bought this guitar and was wondering if i should leave it floating? I am also planning on changin the tuners to Fender Vintage F style

Attached Files:

2. woodsie831

woodsie831 Senior Stratmaster

I can't tell. send it to me and i'll take a better look at it. Seriously, that's a beautiful guitar, congratulations. It's really a matter of preference. i like to float mine but i also only have two guitars so i change tuning sometimes and it's a little bit of a pain to do it with a floating bridge, so i decked mine. I'm honestly not sure what JH did.

3. bluesky636

bluesky636 Strat-O-Master

Geeez. Four of your six posts are asking about whether you should float or deck your trem. Everyone that has answered has said it is a matter of personal preference and there is no right/wrong answer. Just pick one way to do it. If you don't like it, try the other way. You have to make up your own mind which is best for you. :rolleyes:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Pretty sure Hendrix decked his - 5 springs on his trem, so that's a pretty good sign it was decked.
    I could never make up my mind which I liked better - so now I have 2 strats decked and 2 floating, so whichever mood strikes I have a guitar to grab...

6. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-Talker

hendrix had his trems float just watch live concert video and you'll seem him pull up a hair to unbind his strings. i prefer floating and haven't really had any problems. it can only pull up a little but htat does help keep it in tune durig heavy whammy use.

7. IvegotGAS

IvegotGAS Senior Stratmaster

Hey bud you really shouldn't start a thread and ask the same question every time. If you still have questions you ask them in your original thread which will bump it to the top, members will read it and answer if they can.

8. jflintmac

jflintmac Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You still can pull up on a decked bridge to check tuning. I keep mine decked and can still get a slight warble out of it if I pull up.

9. benjammin420

benjammin420 Strat-Talker

I like a floating bridge, I'm not positive what Hendrix prefered, I can't think of any ovbious examples of him using the bar to raise pitch, but who knows. I say follow your heart

by the way, when did they start making white Specials? that looks great!

10. pretender

pretender Strat-Talk Member

I have used mine floating but find that I can get the action a tad lower with it decked, and for my modest use it works fine, also i believe that if decked and a string breaks the others don't lose tuning. I stand to be corrected...Also if playing rythmn and holding the bar I don't get unwanted vibrato. Nice guitar!