Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

florence is coming

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mad axe man, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Weeee doggie Strat-Talk Supporter

Mike's Weather is saying that the county has 150 people needing water rescue in New Bern and the Craven County area. Everything getting pushed up the Neuse River

Bodean likes this.

2. Bowmap

Bowmap NVT Gold Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Virtually Everywhere
    Well at least there is some relief with the wind speed. There will be a lot less wind damage. The rain and surge is still a hurricane's primary weapons.

3. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Rescues are underway for many that did not evacuate - we wish them well .

4. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    It looks like dodged another big bullet. One of these times we won't be so lucky

5. Bowmap

Bowmap NVT Gold Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Virtually Everywhere
    I need to go buy some fuel stabilizer now. I doubt if I can use up the extra gas in the next couple months. I have only one car that takes regular. :) A good problem to have. Bless those in and around New Bern and points east. That is an area I used to frequently travel into on business. Camp LaJuene, I am sure will help out.

Stratoman10 likes this.

6. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

Good grief, how much gas did you get ? Storm prep is tricky here. You hate going overboard but being unprepared is worse.

I did have to chuckle at my neighbors new boyfriend though. Our condos are on the same power grid as the hospital right across the street. We don't lose power here. So on Weds he shows up with a brand new, still in the box generator and 15 gallons of gas. Yesterday I see him with 2 large trash bags. He said he wanted to protect the generator in case he had to return it. Dude, why did you even unbox it ? The parking lot is barely wet. I did help him carry it upstairs. Not sure about back down though

simoncroft likes this.

7. Stormy Monday

The new house we bought has a whole house generator. 500 lbs of propane, enough to last over two weeks. After the last few years with the little Honda or Harbor Freight generators I figured I would try this for a change.

I hope everyone here gets through this ok.

8. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I'll be glad when battery tech catches up to everything else for solar and wind power generation. Or even muffler technology for now. Being without power does stink but people that think they need to run a noisy generator constantly drive me nuts. Especially on a condo balcony. Not to mention the fumes. An hour so every once in awhile to keep the fridge cool or people with O2 tanks I can see but other than that it won't kill you to not watch tv for a few days

If you live away from other people that's good but living in neighborhoods where there's a lot of people close together all those generators running at once wears me out.

aiabx, Mansonienne and BallisticSquid like this.

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    25 yrs ago, we were living in TN and had a freak snowstorm that shut down everything for 5 days. I didn't realize how addictive the TV was for Miz Diane. After 3 days, she convinced (read: ordered) me to drive 10mi south into town and buy a battery-powered TV. Before I could finish paying for it, she was out in the car and had it on in her lap.

She is more addicted to her Kindle now than TV. We had a 5-day power outage several years ago. No pleas for a battery TV (the TV stations were out too).

Namelyguitar likes this.

10. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I have to admit I like my Kindle and phone too but I can charge them from the car if need be. I did fill them both up just in case. Other than that I bought a case of water and cleaned a bathtub really well in case it looked like that might have needed to be used for storage. That was it. There should be some batteries on sale soon I think

11. Stormy Monday

1984-85?

12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Had to be later than '87 (when we got married). We moved to SMT (southern middle TN) not too long after that. She could tell you the day and date, I can't.

13. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    My heart goes out to everyone in the vicinity of the storm!

Okay, I'm going to say this once. ;) News photos that some of the major news outlets posted on the web - give the direct impression that everyone near Florence's path is currently in a boat fighting for their lives. People are stressed enough without creating further panic, eh? Hopefully, it's better than that in most areas.

mad axe man, Barb and Mansonienne like this.

14. dbolt

dbolt Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 17, 2014
    NC
    Generator, check. Gasoline, check. Propane, check. Food and water, check. Wild Turkey 101, check. What did I forget?

s5tuart, Mansonienne and tery like this.

15. Stormy Monday

swim wings
    upload_2018-9-14_13-37-41.png

16. Barb

Barb Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I’m considering a generator especially for a winter if I lose electricity, I have no fireplace. I’ve gotten advice on what size to get but my concern is can I start it if I need to buy myself. I don’t know how hard they are to pull. Minimally I need about 4000 W. Any suggestions. I like Honda for the quietness. It would have to be on wheels to get it outside where I needed to run it.

17. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Look for one with battery start

18. Barb

Barb Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    They aren’t big enough to handle a refrigerator and a few other appliances

19. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Charmin. It's squeezable soft ya know
    Blankets, cots

20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Surely something is being missed here. Car engines use battery driven starters. I'm sure there are huge generators that can only be started with a battery driven starter like a car engine.