Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Floyd Rose issue?..

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Jimi Lightning, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    I have a EVH FLoyd Rose and have set up the strings to 1/16- 3/32" ish. No fret buzz except for the low E.

The bridge saddles all have the same hole at the same spot on the back of the saddle except the low E saddle. The hole on strings 1-5 are in the centre.
    The low E saddle hole is at the bottom. Consequently the saddle will not sit high enough to eliminate the fret buzz.

The question is .... Is the the proper saddle?
    I picked this up used so I do not know if it is a replacement. Logic indicates that a saddle like the rest should be there. I have bery limited experience with type of bridge and online research didnt turn up much. The Longer screw is part of the D tuna which I do not have.

Help?

TheDuck likes this.

2. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @Jimi Lightning -- I can only guess at the issue based on the pics, but D Tuna or not, all six saddles should be the same.

Its a lot to explain here, so here's a short vid on the D Tuna.

Strat-Slinger likes this.

3. Musician78

Musician78 Strat-Talker

Dec 14, 2009
    Hillsboro, NH
    I don’t know if it’s the correct one but you can put something under it to shim it. For necks, I’ll use a piece of a business card but that might be too thick for this application.

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Where are you fretting out? Is it when playing open or also add you go up the neck?
    If it is consistently as you go up the neck then either get a new saddle or a set of these.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/131194284010
    They are made either for your situation or readjusting the radius on the strings.

5. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    All strings less the low E are fine.
    The Low E is fretting out from slightly from the first fret and gets bad around the 8-9th fret.
    I can see where the shims would help but in this case it appears to be a mechanical leverage point issue as the screw hole is too low. If it matched the other holes it would not fret out and if it did a small shim would help, I think.
    BTW many thanks for the shim info and link, most usefull.:thumb:

I beleive that as 'Theduck" posted that this is the wrong saddle and he has verified my thought.
    Thanks Duck. :)

I am going to try to locate a replacement saddle and see. So far no luck finding one.
    Thanks all for the info so far.

TheDuck and Strat-Slinger like this.

6. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

I'm taking a guess that since you don't have the complete "D-Tuna" assembly on the Low E that this is causing the problem... I would think that (like you're already thinking of doing...) you either need to replace that saddle with a the proper sized stock/regular one or... get the rest of the D-Tuna (chrome shaft cover and spring) on that long screw to get things positioned/lined up properly...
    I'm not a D-Tuna expert or anything but, this seems... as Spock would say... logical...
    Based on observation of the pics you have... your fine tuning screw for that Low E saddle is jacked up all the way... I'm taking a shot in the dark but... I have a feeling that may also be part of your problem..
    From what it looks like... it appears it may be putting an excessive "downward angle" (in effect... lowering the saddle's height just enough to cause issues) on that screw.... have you tried turning it down to the middle-ish (or lower) area at all and has that made any difference with that saddle?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Namelyguitar likes this.

7. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    Have you tried cranking down the fine tuning screw? Where it sits now looks like where it would sit with the D-Tuna out in drop D. Standard tuning is with the D-Tuna in, acting as a shim between the pin and the fine tuning screw. When the fine tuner is in direct contact it is drop. Not sure if that helps or makes sense.

Really I don't think it will help with saddle height. The whole back end of that floyd is all about tension adjustment. You have to change the action at the studs or use those shims, I believe.

8. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    There Is little no difference on where the adjust screw is ... The geometry doesnt change enough.

Edit : I have just talked with a shop in Ottawa who were extremely helpfull. Conclusion is that I am going to shim it to see ifnthatbhelps. Concurrently I am going to order in a shim kit and a replacement saddle. As I found out they are not all the same and are staggered to match the radius.

I am still confused as to what/where did this saddle came from as I dont beleive that a saddle comes with the D tuna.
    The fun continues. I am off to scrounge up a washer to shim it...

Strat-Slinger and TheDuck like this.

9. Teddy Watkins

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    I don't think the issue is the saddle. I think it is probably the correct one. The issue is the design of the floyd. The saddle height is really basically fixed. The back half of the saddle rotates around a fixed point in the front half. Adjustments to the fine tuners don't really adjust the action, just the tension. That's why they have those shims, in case just one string is giving you a problem and you don't want to adjust an entire side. Have you tried a minor adjustment to the stud on that side?

10. Teddy Watkins

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    Floyds can be a mother. I was lucky and my wolfgangs were well setup when I got them and never gave me any issues.

11. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    The studs have been adjusted. The number 1 and 6 string saddles should be identical. They match in pairs.
    The Saddle in question is different from its matching mate and the resr of them by virtue of the adjustment hole being at the bottom of the saddle as opposed to the middle.

I am discovering why I never kept a FR before.....lol I can see the benifits and it belongs on this guitar so.....I will bash on and see where it goes.

12. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Hang in there @Jimi Lightning

FRs arent nearly as complicated as they seem. In fact, they are very straight forward and rock solid once you have a basic understanding of how they work.

You're right.
    Heres a link to the D Tuna with a parts list further down the page.

http://www.dtuna.com/index.php

13. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    double post ..... sorry

14. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Update - a washer under the saddle and a quarter turn on the 2 bridge mounts and it no longer buzzes. Action is little high though. I am going to order in a saddle And see if that is the answer. I need now to find the balance between the sixth string buzzing and action as all 6 are now at about 1/8 inch at the 12th fret.

That EVH pickup is a monster... i plugged it in for the first time and all I can say is Wow! :):thumb::)

P.s. Thanks all for the great advice and help!

15. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Update - Oddly enough I received an email from a guitar store I frequent in Ottawa and they were offering a ...buy 2 packs of strings and get a free set-up....
    Well Off I went. The tech agreed that its the wrong saddle and a replacement should be able to be sourced. I left it with the shim I have under it. He kindly stopped the set up he was doing and like magic 30 seconds kater ot it was set up.....

I was closer than I thought and. Big nod to the tech who sorted me out in record time. :):thumb:

Thanks all for the help on this. Pics to be posted in another thread shortly.

Cheers from soon to be snowy Canada.

Bodean likes this.

16. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Glad you got it sorted.

17. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    Glad it's working. I noticed the jacked up fine tuning screw, too.

18. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks. I posted pics in anothervthread of the finished project. Oddly enough the jacked up tuning screw is not the issue due to wrong saddle . Mechanically it cant change the height enough.
    Between the washer I put underneath and the neck releif its awesome now....:)