Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by buzzbob, Sep 17, 2016.

1. buzzbob

buzzbob Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2012
    UK
    Hi folks. I keep hearing great things about the above and I've ordered the Studio kit with mic, headphones, and cable from Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow but I am now wondering if this will do all I need. Particularly will a standard guitar lead plug straight in no problem.

I assume I can plug the thing into my mac, put in the phones, plug in the guitar and after adjusting the computer software accordingly,off I go. Is this right? Also can I just plug my guitar straight in with the usual lead?

Also is the sound of all the Focusrite Scarlett range pretty much identical with the only difference being number of inputs?

Thanks for helping. I'm a bit of a duffer about this stuff but keen to learn :)

2. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    The 2nd gen 2i2 addresses the problem of normal guitar input being too hot for the mic preamps in the 1st gen model.
    All you need to do is open the box, go on the Focusrite site to register the product and bundle (free software that comes with),
    then plug your guitar in with the typical guitar cable, connect the output of the 2i2 to the mac via USB, and go to your mac settings,
    select 'sound' and then select the 2i2 as both input and output source. Then you can monitor directly from the 2i2 using your headphones.
    AFAIK, you need a mac running either Yosemite or El Capitan and then it's pretty much plug and play.
    Not sure about any older OS, though.
    Also, i think the entire Scarlett range uses the same mic preamps, and they have very good sound quality, especially considering the price point.
    The only real difference is how many inputs/outputs you have... again, AFAIK.
    HTH!
    EDIT: Here's a recording i just did with the 2i2
    Surfin' Loops

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    TheDuck, Namelyguitar and buzzbob like this.
  3. Heruhur

Heruhur Strat-Talk Member

May 18, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Yes your guitar plugs in straight into the 2i2, no extra or special cables required.
    Your instrument cable will do fine.
    Make sure the switch on the front panel is set to instrument, not to line.

A word of caution on the mic.
    The mic is a condenser and they do not go well with high volume levels.
    Recording your amp with it is not recommended.
    Best to use a dynamic mic for that. (Like the sm57)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Namelyguitar, dogletnoir and buzzbob like this.
  4. buzzbob

Oct 19, 2012
    UK
    Thanks guys. I'm grateful. I am champing at the bit to get started :)

dogletnoir likes this.
  5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I've been looking into getting one of these also. Let us know it goes.

dogletnoir likes this.
  6. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    You have everything you need hardware wise.

If you havent already you might want to look at downloading Garage Band for your Mac. It has a bunch of amp sims and pedals included for free so you can sound however you want (within reason).

buzzbob and dogletnoir like this.
  7. buzzbob

Oct 19, 2012
    UK
    Thanks. I am about to install this afternoon. Wading through some videos at the moment. I'm not sure which computer to install Ableton on. I have a work one which is pretty powerful and an older iMac and a 2011 MBP both of which are my own. All have garage band and are running El Capitan. I will probably use my iMac. I assume it's easy enough to change via their support if I use up my 2 licences on the wrong computer.

8. buzzbob

Oct 19, 2012
    UK
    Will update as I learn :)

9. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    I bought one just yesterday, Im very happy with it so far. Im not a Mac user, I have Windows 10 so I had to download the drivers which was a breeze following the instructions in the box. I was using an old M-AUDIO Mobile Pre USB and I have to say the 2i2 is superior in every way. It looks better built too but that only time will tell... the M-AUDIO stood the test of time (almost 15 years of use I guess and never a problem). The things I liked the most about the Focusrite:
    - Mic inputs dynamic range is fabulous... way more headroom than in the M-AUDIO, and the sound quality was by my ears just as good, and by numbers actually better cuz it records 24bit samples vs 16bit samples on the other one.
    - Noise levels are lower than the M-AUDIOs.
    - Latency lets me play through Guitar Rig with 256 samples buffer, which is pretty playable, and that makes me happy.

My 2 cents.

Congrats to the OP for the purchase, looking forward to read his comments on the device!

10. rgbedard

rgbedard Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I would just like to add that when I purchased mine a couple months ago, I felt like it was the best money I ever spent on music, and wondered, seriously why I waited so long ... totally easy to integrate with a Mac. Great sound. Only regret: that I didn't do it sooner ...

TheDuck, gofmusic and dogletnoir like this.
  11. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    The 1st Gen. reviews were two thumbs up for most. Glad to hear about improvements with the new version, too.

12. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    I got the 2nd gen for xmas last year. I haven't used it a lot but it does work great and you get a pretty decent bundle of software adn plug-ins with it. However, the version of Pro Tools you get only supports cloud storage and a very limited number of projects so I deleted that right away and used the bundled Ableton Live.

13. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I used a 2nd Gen Scarlett Solo for a few years, and only retired it when I switched to an Eleven Rack.
    The Scarlett 2nd Gen series is great. Equal to or better than hardware costing much more.

On a Mac, its a simple plug and play, no driver to worry about (though they are available, I never needed them) and no conflicts. Unless you are using the latest version of High Sierra, which refuses to play nice with just about everything on the planet.

Dont forget to register your interface on the Focusrite website.
    They offer some great (free) software and plug ins to Scarlett owners.

You're going to need an amp sim program. Depending on your DAW of choice, they are included.

Right now the Focusrite Plug In Collective (the freebies for Scarlett owners) is offering BIAS Amp for free.
    If you need an amp sim, grab it. You wont be disappointed.

OldGuy6873 and dogletnoir like this.
  14. dogletnoir

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    Right now the Focusrite Plug In Collective (the freebies for Scarlett owners) is offering BIAS Amp for free.

Wow, TY for the heads-up @TheDuck!
    Downloading now... :thumb::thumb:

TheDuck likes this.
  15. dogletnoir

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    DL seems to have stalled at 298/554 MB... :(
    Looks like it worked the 2nd time around though. :D
    i'll be playing around with it later; looking forward to that!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  16. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Micheal might be reeking havoc with the lines.

17. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Same thought crossed my mind.

rgbedard likes this.