Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fret Buzz Help Me Please.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by marklk, Nov 3, 2017.

1. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Thank you for any help. I know there is a million fret buzz threads out there. Maybe I can win a prize for being a million and one.

I've gotten pretty decent at doing set ups so a buddy of mine brings me his Ibanez Artcore AF71F and ask if I can get rid of the buzz. It is a beautiful guitar but I can't get it sorted out.

The buzz is on the Low E and to a lesser extent A. It starts open and continues all the way up to the 13th fret so it is not a nut problem.

I've done a fret rocker on all the frets and they are even. Changed the strings. I've adjusted the relief to .010, .005, .000, .020 and that didn't help. I've put the bridge all the way up. I didn't measure the action at the 12th when I did that but it was very high and still buzzed.

Maybe a neck angle thing but I can adjust the bridge down and the rest of the strings are okay. I can't see any warpage. My eyes aren't really trained to see that but I'm guessing that would be obvious.

I put my ear next to the guitar and the buzz seems to be coming from the next fret each time.

All suggestions and advice are appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Is the buzz heard through an amp?

marklk likes this.

3. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Did you raise the bridge up or the saddles?

marklk likes this.

4. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    What happens to the buzz if you place a capo on the first fret?

5. Tcon

Tcon Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2016
    KCMO
    Does it stay in tune? Check for something loose. My guess is that its not a fret. Look inside the guitar see if something is touching the side. I believe it has to do with the guitar body or tuners picking up frequencies. I had a guy bring one of those over to my house to try an amp out I was selling. The low E on the 3rd fret buzzed like crazy through this amp BUT when we plugged in my strats they were fine. Needless to say he didnt buy the amp:( but I think there was something wrong with his guitar. It only happened on the low E and A at the 3rd fret.

marklk likes this.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    You thinking backbow like I am?

marklk, Nate D and Bodean like this.

7. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Yes it's enough that it can be heard from the amp.

Forgive me if I'm getting my terms confused but it has a lp type adjustable bridge so the whole bridge was raised which would intern raise the saddles?

I've also set the intonation it but not sure if that would make a difference or not.

8. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    New strings and I really only played it enough to see if the buzz went away but it seemed to stat in tune. In addition to what I'm hearing as fret buzz there is a little "something is loose" buzz. That buzz is clearly different, lighter and coming from the pick guard area. I've put my ear up to the guitar and it sounds like it's coming from the frets.

9. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    One of 2 things back bow or low nut slots on E and A.

marklk and Nate D like this.

10. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    I haven't tried it with a capo but when fretting I get it all the way from the first to 14th fret. I'll try a capo tonight.

I've put as much as .020 relief when fretting fist and where the neck meets the body.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

11. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Have you checked to see if the neck has a warp or twist in it? Its not the most scientific method but you can sight down the fretboard and sometimes see irregularities in the neck/frets that way.

[​IMG]

marklk and Paperback Rocker like this.

12. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Strat-O-Master

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Did you stretch the strings?
    Have you checked the saddles are smooth? ( a little rub with sand paper)
    Have you lowered the pickups? I have a guitar that is a pig for string buzz - it’s HSH but the humbuckers are like 2 single coils in series with alnico rod magnets for poles.
    Only when the humbuckers are 4mm for the strings with strings fretted at 22nd fret dies the buzz go.
    But strats buzz. Especially if you put in a big block trem - that extra resonance makes the strings vibrate more wildly.

marklk and Paperback Rocker like this.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

You must walk through the steps in order:

-fret the 3rd fret and check for 1 to 2 or maybe 3 sheets of photocopy paper gap to the first fret under the string.
    -fret the 1st and 19th (some use other 'tenths' depending on what company specs they want, I like to test more of the neck), check the gap to the 12th fret, should be 3-4 sheets gap or adjust the truss rod.
    -Drop the saddle/bridge until a US Quarter touches the string when on the 12th fret. How much do you need to raise the saddle/bridge to get away from the buzz. If a lot there is either a neck angle to bridge problem or uneven frets. Fix those then start at the top and work through each step again.
    -If you get a 'hey it's working now' make sure to let the guitar be for a day or two and repeat the steps as something may have settled in over time at tension.

marklk and Bodean like this.

14. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talk Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    Use an ohm-meter.

Stick a smal strip of copper tape (must be with conductive adhesive) on the the fret you think causes the problem (not directly under the string being tested).

Connect one lead of the ohm-meter to the copper tape and the other lead to the E string between nut and tuning peg.

Hit the string and see if the ohm-meter reads any connectivity when it buzzes.

If not, repeat with other frets.

That way, you will either find the offending fret or can rule out the frets.

marklk and Bodean like this.

15. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    Nut could be right height but too wide. String break angle after nut could be off. Does it have a a wrap around bridge or bridge and tail piece? If you adjust the bridge up then you may also need to raise the tail piece, to keep the string break angle correct.

Go up a string gauge and see if it's worse or better.

marklk likes this.

16. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Thanks for all the help. I'll try any advice I get this weekend.

17. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    I think this is possible. I've looked down it an think that it looks good.

PB054532.JPG PB054535.JPG PB054536.JPG

18. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Strings stretched. Saddles smooth. It is not a strat type it's an arch top that doesn't have adjustable pickups.

19. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Yes. This is how I did it. I use feeler gauges and not paper but same basic concept. With the saddle/bridge all the way up I can get a quarter or a nickle and then some under the 12th fret.

20. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    I like this. I really feel like the next fret is buzzing all the way to 13 but I could do this to be sure. I need to invest in some copper tape.