Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fret Buzz Help Me Please.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by marklk, Nov 3, 2017.

1. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Do you mean the slot too wide for the string? If I'm fretting would it eliminate this variable or could it still be the issue?

It's a floating tailpiece. Maybe there is an issue here if break angle can to the bridge can cause buzzing but I don't think there is a way to adjust it.

PB054539.JPG

My buddy usually uses nines and I put tens on it. I didn't notice a change but I need to confirm he had nines.

2. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Thanks again for all of the tips. Still hoping to figure it out so still taking advice. If my buddy has to end up taking to a pro I'll make sure to post what he found out.
    Here is a stock photo: AF71F_TBC_5B_01.png

3. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Make sure the strings aren't touching (or VERY close too) the back edge of the bridge.

If so, file a little wedgie slot. :eek:

marklk likes this.

4. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Did I miss something? Are you indicating that the BUZZ starts when the string is open? If so, then it IS a nut problem. Try this: Take a 1/4" length of string off the end of the high B string. Place that short snipping underneath the E string on the nut. Did the buzz go away or lessen? If so, you've found your answer.

marklk likes this.

5. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    Seeing what it is, you could also have a hump in the neck. I want to say some Ovations suffered from neck hump where it meets the body.

If neck (truss rod) is adjusted right and buzzes open to 13th fret. It's unlevel frets, too low action or nut cut too low. Buzzing from a wide nut slot would stop when fretted. Feeler gauge the top of fret wire to bottom of string a 1st fret, I always look for .018. The gauge should go in the gap without raising string and also not have play (or very very little).

If the gauge raises strings, nut too low. Possibly needs nut shimmed or replaced.
    If play, nut may need filed down or will have a high action

marklk likes this.

6. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Good thought but plenty of room.

johnnymg likes this.

7. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Yes. Is starts on open, but it is a little less of a buzz open. What I have read, and makes logical sense to me, is once you fret a string you are taking the nut out of the equation. So I'm thinking that the problem is something other than or in addition to the nut since it buzzes most of the way up the neck.

I did try your advice and the buzz was the same. I took the string out from underneath and measured again. With a capo on three I have .005" clearance at the first fret.

8. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Yeah. I'm starting to wonder if it is something structural.

I need to measure the space of the first fret without the capo on the third.

9. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    I just started thinking. Someone mentioned string gauge and I did go from 9s to 10s but is there something unique about arch tops? Did I not go up enough?

I checked the specs out of the factory: .010/.013/.017/.030/.042/.052
    ".10s" but the wound strings are a lot thicker then what I put on: .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046

I know the strings I took off were D'Addario so they were likely 09-11-16-24-32-42

I think I'm going to try D'Addario EXL120s 10-13-17-30-42-52 unless someone has a good recommendation for arch tops.

10. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    Take the capo off and measure 1st fret gap. I just did mine with a capo on 3 and I have .007 not .005 like you. Now this means little but the nut on mine may be a hair higher than yours.

Going up can stop some buzzing, especially from a nut. However, if your action is too low it's going to buzz. I think your action is too low and that may be part of your problem. There still could be the issue of a high fret(s) or even may need a neck adjustment.

The best thing I can tell you is to look up some videos on setup, checking neck straightness, checking for uneven frets. There's so many little things that need to be looked at, watch some videos and see how they check this stuff.

Then go find what the manufacturer recommends for string height and such. Check the guitar to their specs, if yours is not the same, adjust it until it is. This will be your baseline starting point, you may have to go up or choose to go down on height (action).

You won't be able to measure anything with the capo on the 3rd fret.

marklk likes this.

11. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Stupid question, but are you sure it is the string buzzing and not the string causing something else to vibrate? I have had sympathetic vibrations before on pickguards, pot not being tight, etc. Also, is the tail piece making full contact? Did one of the pads between it and the body get lost? I know you say it is isolated to a string between certain frets, but stranger things have happened with hollow bodies.

papergoblin likes this.

12. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    My guess is you haven't got enough relief in the neck, meaning the truss rod needs loosening slightly.

papergoblin and Guitarmageddon like this.

13. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I'm about there with you on it, except it's not every string doing it to him. I'm thinking it may need the neck adjusted and possibly a little more height at the bridge. His nut may be low as well but with the right relief and an action adjustment he should be fine.

marklk likes this.

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Lot's of speculation here about lots of things. The most obvious answer is the frets need leveling. Simple as that.

marklk likes this.

15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    OP mentioned at one point the sound seems to be coming from near the pickguard. My guess is something loose there and vibrating when the heavier strings make it move.

marklk likes this.

16. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    The OP says he's checked that. Without sight of the guitar, we're all putting forward things that can be a contributing factor, but none of us can know for sure.

In the end, I'd say it's often the cumulative effect of a number of factors, and the reality that 100% tolerances are only theoretical. For instance, I've come across necks that do have a slightly warp in them, but are perfectly playable unless the owner expects to string it with 008s, then achieve an action of five thou at the 12th!

marklk likes this.

17. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Thank you for all of the info. A lot of knowledge on this site and I appreciate everyone giving their input.

I'm going to check the tailpiece and put 11-52s on it then give up. I'll put it in someone's hands to figure out. I was really hoping to help my buddy out but it's been a good learning experience.

I've done set ups on over 30 guitars, largely thanks to the knowledge I've gotten here. Some have been better than others but I have always been able to figure out the "limiting factor".

18. nederemer

nederemer Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    You need to adjust your truss rod or the nut has been cut too deeply.

19. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Strat-O-Master

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    I had a Tele that buzzed all the way up the fret board.
    It was a ski jump that needed the top 5 frets removing, some material removed from the fret board, then frets replaced and then fret level crown and polish.
    I took it to a luthier. They charged £90 which I think is well worth it.

20. Tcon

Tcon Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2016
    KCMO
    If its coming from the pickguard area it is probably your springs in the back. Run some foam down thru them and that will fix it.