Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fret Buzz Help Me Please.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by marklk, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    It's a hollow body...no springs.

I am curious as to if the situation has been fixed. @marklk

marklk likes this.

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Can't tell from your pics................ what brand/model of guitar is this?

marklk likes this.

3. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    If you are asking about the OP's guitar it's an Ibanez Artcore AF71F

marklk and johnnymg like this.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    OK.................. then I'm 'out'.

I don't know squat about setting up Ibanez gits. In fact, I only know half-squat about Strats and LP's. :sneaky:

Bodean and marklk like this.

5. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    I checked for anything loose and ordered new thicker strings. Hopefully they are here tomorrow and I'll get them on this weekend.

I'll make sure to update. Thanks again everyone for the help.

6. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    you don't have a ceiling fan on do you?

I had a similar issue as yours and the ceiling fan was causing the problem. kind of a Leslie effect but made it sound kind of buzzy

7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    I'm going to go with something other than the string/neck/frets (it appears the OP had addressed those issues). I have worked on several archtops over the years (all acoustic) and the trapeze style tailpieces are often a source of buzzes, esp. at lower frequencies. Floating pickguards can be an issue. Occasionally I've 'buffered' all the contact points with thin rubber 'gaskets' wherever there is a metal bracket, etc. Slipping a bit of rag or cloth underneath the pickguard can identify an otherwise invisible contact point. If the cloth won't pass completely under, lift it a bit and then let it drop onto the cloth...see if it still buzzes, etc.

A quick way to tell if you have a string buzzing in the trapeze tailpiece is to weave a bit of yarn or felt or rubber-bands between the strings between the bridge and tailpiece. I've used elect. tape rolled up and wedged between the strings there also. Whatever...you just need to have something in there to damp the vibrations.

I've never worked on one with a floating pickup, but I imagine that anywhere the pickup and the pickguard might touch (or be close) needs to be checked, etc.

8. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    No ceiling fan and the buzzing has occurred in multiple settings but I am looking for everything so thanks for the suggestion.

9. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    There is some buzz happening around the pickgaurd but it is different and quieter than what I perceive as the fret buzz I've just been to focused on the fret buzz to address the other buzz. Who knows maybe they are related and I should sort that out first.

I've been sick and am traveling for work the next few days so I haven't worked on it much lately. Thanks for the tips on the tailpiece I will try them all out as soon as I get a chance.