Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fret size question

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Gianni_boy, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Gianni_boy

Gianni_boy New Member!

Apr 30, 2017
    Toronto
    Hey everyone, I am currently getting a neck made for my 61 strat, I'm having trouble deciding on a fret wire size.
    It a vintage 7.25 radius, I can't get along with the tiny vintage frets (6230 .80x.43), and 6105s (90×55) are to big for my liking...... is there nothing in between that you guys have tried?

Basically I want something that retains that vintage look, but when you start playing it feels more modern an playable.

I noticed on the jescar site they carry 2 types of wire I'd be interested in.....one that' .85x.45 or .90x.47.
    Opinions please

Guitar0621 and usul1978 like this.

2. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Re: the 6105's...Which is your issue, width or height?

3. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talker

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    It is really difficult to give advise, since it is a very personal preference.

I would suggest playing some guitars with different fret sizes to get a feel for what you like.

4. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    Pretty sure there is a vintage 'tall' gauge. It looks right but has more height of course. Lasts longer too.

5. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I refretted my Springy sound with jescar .90x.47, it's a great profile for me and jescar has very good material.

It's good for me to have them not as wide as medium jumbo (visually and by the touch) but with the same benefits (ie more height than vintage frets but not thin and tall like other solutions). Great all around !

I ordered the same size of frets on a musikraft neck I'm waiting for.

6. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    The vintage tall ones are the 6105's, which is too bad you dont like as they are the perfect inbetween the originals and modern.

7. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    I would get the taller frets and have them adjusted to your liking with a Plek machine.