Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

G&L Legacy Custom Shop Build

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Fuzzpop, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-Talker

Jun 20, 2014
    SC
    Man...I can't find stainless on a G&L anywhere! Course I am tied to the web cause closest brick and mortar is too far for searching unless I know there is something there.

Fuzzpop likes this.
  2. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Not sure if they do it on their production guitars. Mine came from the custom shop, so might only be a feature they offer. Can't be sure of that, though.

Nick-O likes this.
  3. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

G&L have changed their business model recently. It used to be that all the new Fullerton-made G&Ls you saw in a shop were spec-ordered by the shop. They have a list of options (finishes, neck profiles, frets, etc.) to choose from, and dealerships would order guitars with the specs they thought would sell. The company recently expanded in two directions: they now build Fullerton Standard models based on their best-selling specs and sold at a slightly lower price point from ordered guitars; and they opened the Custom Shop which allows them to build outside the spec options.

A lot of G&L guitars are ordered through a dealership by a customer who can find what s/he wants on the spec menu.

Fuzzpop likes this.
  4. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    This is all true and the same as what Greg at Rocket Music told me. The Custom Shop is just a few guys, not unlike the early days of the Fender Custom Shop. While a normal ordered guitar takes about 4-8 weeks, the CS guitars are about 12-16 weeks. Mine came right around the 16 week mark.

5. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    G&L's new business model is kind of confusing - they have 5 tiers of instruments now:

1. Fullerton Standard - only 2 models, the Legacy and the ASAT Classic. 2 color options on the ASAT Classic, which is maple fingerboard only; 3 color options on the Legacy, which is Caribbean rosewood fingerboard only. White or black pickguards (depending on color), Modern Classic neck shape/9.5" radius only, untinted satin finish neck only. Comes with a gig bag - think G&L's competitor for Fender's American Special series.
    2. Fullerton Deluxe - 6 models: ASAT Classic (4 color/fingerboard combos), ASAT Classic Bluesboy (6 color/fingerboard combos), ASAT Special (4 color/fingerboard combos), Comanche (2 colors, maple board only), Legacy (7 color/fingerboard combos), S-500 (6 color/fingerboard combos), maple or Caribbean rosewood fingerboards (except Comanche), some color/fingerboard combos have fancier pickguards. Glossy finish necks only, hard case. I haven't seen one of these in stores yet but I would assume they are trying to keep these at the Fender American Professional price point ($1400-$1500-ish). Again no neck shape options; just the Modern Classic shape/9.5" radius. Note that some colors are available with both fingerboard options, other colors can be rosewood but no maple or vice versa.
    3. CLF Research - these will be essentially reissues of Leo-era models; right now it's only the Skyhawk guitar (I think they have 2 basses). Something in-between a reissue and a reborn/reworked model. Again the only options are 4 color/fingerboard combos (2 maple and 2 Caribbean rosewood).
    4. Option Order Guitars - 31 guitar models including some semi-hollows. Extensive option sheet with colors, neck shapes (just the 5 C-shaped carves), 3 radius options, 3 fret options (including SS frets), 5 fingerboard options (maple, 2 rosewood - Caribbean and Indian; 2 ebony as well). Basically except for excluding the non-C neck shapes this is what almost all G&Ls were prior to this year (except for the Fullerton Standards - they've been around for a few years).
    5. Custom Shop - add back the 4 non-C-shape neck carves, add nitro finishes, more figured wood options, a lot of other options they didn't have prior to opening up the Custom Shop.

Willie D and Fuzzpop like this.
  6. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    My bad. You're right. I totally forgot about the Standard/Deluxe options. I was thinking just Option Order and CS.

7. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Here are my own photos of it. I'm not a great photographer, but hopefully these show off how gorgeous it looks in person!

GLBody.jpg GLDetail.jpg GLFull.jpg GLHeadstockCSLogo.jpg GLNeckFlame.jpg

Willie D likes this.
  8. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-Talker

Jun 20, 2014
    SC
    That neck....:)

Fuzzpop likes this.
  9. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    It's a beautiful piece of wood!

10. Willie D

I feel fortunate to have my Legacy. Got the Deep V neck profile before they moved it exclusively to the CS. The shop I got it from (Tommy's in Everett, WA) ordered it as part of a matched pair - one Legacy and one ASAT with otherwise identical cosmetics. The ASAT sold before the Legacy, and now I'm the lucky so-and-so who gets that stratty goodness.

Fuzzpop likes this.
  11. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Great story, man. Glad you got that Legacy!

12. Willie D

And I got it for a really good price.

Fuzzpop likes this.
  13. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Even better.

14. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Fuzzpop - that neck looks even nicer in your photos; in that one shot you can really see how the flame "moves" depending on how the light hits it. That reminds me of how the flame moves on the nicest of the '58-'60 Les Paul Standards.

Fuzzpop likes this.
  15. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks, John! It's really stunning. And you're right; the flame does really move depending on how the light hits it, not unlike those old Bursts. G&L did a wonderful job and they were really helpful every step of the way.

16. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I'll try to get some sound clips up tomorrow if I have the time. But needless to say, this thing is a beast. The two G&L handwound (on Leo's old machine! not that that matters beyond nostalgia) single coils are sweet as can be and the Duncan JB is super beefy. I was a little concerned about the JB. I've never played one, but know they're pretty hot. Gotta say, it's not as crazy as I thought it would be!