Join Strat-Talk Today

G&l @ musicians friend

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by guitarface, Mar 14, 2019.

1. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

anybody ever but one of those g & l tribute guitars that musiiians friend us seems to have on sale for $299 or there abouts? Results? You like?

BallisticSquid likes this.
  2. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I got a SS ASAT from GC, but it's the same thing. It is the Olympic white one that pops up now and then. The ASAT is the G&L Tele design.

The guitar had really good bones but needed a lot of work. The frets were scored, the setup was pretty bad, and the strings very tarnished. No idea what this guitar had been through. I gave it to my repair guy and I was absolutely amazed at how well it shaped up. He reworked the nut, did a bunch of fretwork (more than just polishing), and did a full setup. The end result was a guitar this is one of my easiest to play.

The finish is fantastic. The neck feels really great. I was quite impressed with the tuners. It sounds great. At the time I was part of a duo and I used it a number of times for gigs.

From reading reviews, out of the box quality is hit or miss. But at a price of $299, it's not a big deal to put $100 into getting it made perfect.

guitarface likes this.
  3. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I bought a $299 G&L Bluesboy … the quality was as good as a MIM Fender IMO .

guitarface likes this.
  4. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

I am a part of a G&L group and the guitars in question have been discussed a couple of times. The G&L Tribute guitars that MF sells at the discounted price are not the same as the regular priced G&L Tribute guitars. I know that there is talk that the electronics are the main difference. US made P/U's vs Asian made P/U's, and the same with the pots, etc.....

Being a lefty, I didn't pay to much attention to the specifics of the conversation (guess I should have), but the gist is that there is a difference.

And, I'm not putting down G&L guitars at all....I love all of mine....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.