Join Strat-Talk Today

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratoman10, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

It was a great episode but I feel a few things let it down. The iron fleet, which was supposed to be 1000 ships, suddenly became about 12 ships. Daenerys army seemed to be as big as ever despite all the losses it suffered. Cersei's death was a little weak considering how some lesser characters have gone to their grave.

Did enjoy it though, there was never a dull moment!

2. Brutus

Brutus Strat-Talk Member

I think: when all is done, the dragon lady gets killed by the little Stark. Jon refuses the throne, and the bastard Baratheon takes the throne. The dwarf gets to be kings hand, Jon returns to beyond the Wall and his sister gets to rule the the north. The little stark Will meet up with the red soldier and they will become one person.. maybe the lord of light.

albala likes this.
  3. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 A not so hapless yeoman............ Strat-Talk Supporter

None of this season has really been dull, but that doesn't mean it's been good overall, IMO. I can't fault the acting, that's always good. Cinematography and effects are great. That wow factor is still there. GoT always looks good and is well acted. But I feel the storytelling is now really weak and continuity lacking between episodes.

While every episode has had small moments I've enjoyed, there's been too many where I've just thought "Really!? After all these seasons of build up and character development, that's how you're going to handle it."

velvet_man and ChrisD like this.
  4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I was a little surprised that all Dany and the Dragon had to do was attack from the rear

ChrisD likes this.
  5. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Started with a dive out of the Sun, a classic WWII pilot move. Then just be faster than the turrets could maneuver, or out of their aim range.

nadzab and velvet_man like this.
  6. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I want to see Sansa and Dany go full on catfight with Sansa ending up the winner

Groovey likes this.
  7. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It'd be cool if the game of thrones winner built a space ship.

8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, yea . But don't hold your breath

9. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

10. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

11. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

It does at times feel like the producers are fed up and just want to get the show wrapped up. They have been doing this 9+ year's and likely want to do other things. Its felt more and more rushed the past 2 seasons. Things that would have panned out over several episodes are now read up in a matter of minutes. I just hope that we haven't had years of almost immaculate build up just to have it ruined in the last episode!

Groovey likes this.
  12. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 A not so hapless yeoman............ Strat-Talk Supporter

The problem, for me, is that a "throwaway cause we're bored now" attitude doesn't make me want to get into whatever they do next. Maybe it's just me, but I'm just funny that way.

I do feel like what started as top sirloin has recently been increasingly replaced by Hamburger Helper. And plenty of people, myself largely included, have been trying to convince ourselves it's still sirloin. While secretly kind of knowing it's become Hambruger Helper..............:D

ChrisD and velvet_man like this.
  13. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

"I don't know why they call this stuff Hamburger Helper. It does just fine by itself"
    -Cousin Eddie
    [​IMG]

ChrisD and velvet_man like this.
  14. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

Well I live in Northern Ireland and the word is that the prequel has begun filming very recently in some of the usual locations! Can't say for certain its true and I doubt it will be the same guys working on this one. Might be worth a try lol!

Frankg11 likes this.
  15. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

As I stated, I've just finished S2, and I'm surprised by how well groomed all the women are...

16. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

And the men.

What people romanticize about knights in shining armor is that it took so long to put on they usually had to relieve themselves in it.

17. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Say what you like about George RR Martin and his writing, the show has been noticeably weaker in terms of story arc since moving beyond the books. This has been compensated for with spectacle, which to be fair has been pretty spectacular by TV show standards.

I can’t blame the producers though, they’re just running out of time so are speeding it along to get to a conclusion. It’s not like all the characters and story arcs in the original material were neatly or (traditionally) satisfactorily tied up. I think expecting it all to make sense at the end or for characters arcs to be satisfactorily or neatly resolved really would go against the the history and spirit of the source material.

18. GaryCorby

GaryCorby Strat-O-Master

I noticed a few others made some predictions, so here are mine. Placed in a spoiler box, so don't open unless you want your brain infected with my guesses. Be warned I think a few of my guesses are pretty solid.

Daenerys will be denied at the last moment during her coronation. There are lots of ways it could happen, but Tyrion, Jon and Arya will likely all declare she's not fit, and point to what's left of King's Landing. Also, a whole pile of others will turn up at the coronation having received ravens from Varys that Jon is the true heir. This could get tricky with all of Dany's troops waiting.

There are lots of ways Daenerys could be killed, but if it were me writing it, I would have her look out over the ruins and realize that she has become the monster she fought to prevent. She will then stand in front of Drogon and shout, "Dracarys!" Suicide is the one option I think the writers would not expect anyone to anticipate. Yes, I know she's immune to fire, but this is too dramatic to pass up, and no one's ever tested a Targaryen with dragon fire. If that doesn't work, there's always Bron with his crossbow, or the girl that Varys set to poison her.

This leaves Jon owning Drogon. Jon will find a clutch of dragon eggs in the dragon pit.

Jon will refuse the crown. He will retire to the north, probably to join the free folk. There are lots of things that telegraph this. Tormund hints as much, and note that early in the series the old maester of the Black Watch was a Targaryen who joined the Watch rather than be king.

The crown could go to almost anyone, which of course the writers kept deliberately open. Tyrion and Gendry are both obvious options, given the world logic that it must be a great family. If it goes to Gendry, there's a fair chance Arya would marry him to cement the north into the seven kingdoms, and she would become Hand, to beat her not-a-lady objection.

Sansa will remain the Lady of Winterfell.

Bran will use his powers to go back in time to inhabit the body of the original Bran the Builder. Which also means he gets to walk again. Jon, Sansa and Arya will of course object, not believing he can do it. Bran will prove he got there safely by erecting statues of the three of them in the oldest part of the family crypt (Jon, Sansa and Arya discover their own statues in the crypt in a season 8 teaser. That scene hasn't appeared yet, so this prediction is almost a no-brainer.)

Hot Pie for palace chef. Of course.

Sam will end as Grand Maester. He could hardly be anything else. If it were me, I'd close with Sam writing the last page of his soon-to-be bestseller of the history of the wars.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    albala, CigBurn and rcole_sooner like this.
  19. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I predict one of them changes careers and starts up a huge fashion brand.

JAQEN H'GHAR JEANS.jpg

Groovey likes this.
  20. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

I predict it will all be over in a few days..............:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.