Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Gear Review: SX Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Dirt Rich, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

[​IMG]

Acquired From: eBay
    Price Paid: $300

I bought this guitar about 3 years ago or so, and WHAT A BARGAIN!!! If you want a guitar that not only looks like a Gibson Les Paul, but sounds like it, plays like it, has everything that the Gibson does except for the high price tag and the name on the headstock, your search is OVER my friend. This guitar was easily one of the greatest purchases I've ever made, and trust me, there have been a lot over the 12 years I've been playing. For starters, it's a beautifully crafted instrument. Wine Red Mahogany, mother of pearl inlays, cream binding, chrome hardware, etc. The wonderful thing about it is that it FEELS like a very expensive instrument. There are no visible flaws whatsoever, and it plays like a dream right out of the box. It came set up from the factory, and with D'Addario 10 gauge strings. I just recently strung it with some 10 gauge Elixir strings, and it totally came alive. The pickups are great, dual chrome humbuckers just like it's Gibson brethren, and they were not cheaply made either. A buddy of mine has the exact same Les Paul Custom in a Gibson (same finish and everything). I've played on both, thoroughly examined both, and I'm telling you, he paid ten times what I payed for my SX and the only difference was the name on the headstock. I'd buy every guitar SX makes, as long as they can all live up to the very high bar that their Les Paul Custom has set.

2. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

That's pretty sweet lookin Dirt. I've never heard of SX but I will be investigating them now. I have wanted a Les Paul but I'm not payin what Gibson wants for em. Screw them. For what a Standard Les Paul cost you could get a Fender CS strat. (at least used anyway.)

3. stratluvr

stratluvr Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the post.. Beauty of a guitar.. I will be checking them out. I almost pulled the triger on a gibby LP about a month ago.. But i just couldent bring myself to spend all that money..

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

Nice guitar... how about a couple more pictures?

6. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

[​IMG]

7. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

8. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

[​IMG]

I love the hologram "SX" on the headstock.

9. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

10. stratluvr

stratluvr Strat-O-Master

It is a pretty guitar.... How many people now have bids on one(EBAY) ?

11. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

lol. That would be kind of cool if someone else bought one based on my review. It really is a great guitar.

12. ratman

ratman Strat-Talk Member

nice review and a nice lookin axe !

Sx brand guitars are sold through Rondo Music Home Page

never purchased from them or handled any of the guitars tho, enjoy!

13. stratluvr

stratluvr Strat-O-Master

Man i am looking at the full line of sx gear.. Looks like they are useing top notch material... You have me gas'n again.. Why did you do that... Those teles look prety sweet to .. Dose anyone have any experince with those.

14. bin4christ

bin4christ Strat-Talk Member

the problem with these less expensive brands is that, you wont get much showmanship with them, and their resale value is crap, or they're really hard to sell. I own a Stagg SG myself. It's a solid piece which can pawn the Epiphone G400 anytime (neck binding, doesnt neck dive, more solid, neck joint, etc). Right now i'm trying to sell it (cant get used to the Gibson feel, plus my Pacifica is all that i use now) at less than half of what a used G400 would cost but it's still stuck with me :(

15. MTguitar

MTguitar Strat-Talk Member

the whole SX lineup--from basses to teles to strats have a pretty good reputation on internet bbs

16. ratman

ratman Strat-Talk Member

the only bad thing i have heard about Rondo music is they tend to ship the wrong guitars , BUT always make it right.

I gleaned that from message boards NOT from personal experience.

I have been fantasizing bout buying one of the cheaper strats and using it as a core for my rebuilding , as I did with my Lyon . dunno, might save my pennies for a actual Fender , I already got my copy and am quite pleased with it

17. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

nice looking guitar

18. ScaryWoody

ScaryWoody New Member!

I have that exact guitar. I paid $99 + ship about three years ago. For what you get, it's a great guitar. The electronics are about what you would expect for a hundred bucks. The body is a solid asian mahogany. I play it occassionally but it never really grabbed me. No way would I pay anything near $300.

19. Lowdown

Lowdown Strat-Talker

Yeah. I'll stick with my '82 Suzuki Customized LP. It's my baby(that's what she thinks anyway).
    Nice top on your one though.

20. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

Looks nice Rich, I've had a Rondo Agile 3100 LP for some time and I swear it has competitive Tone to my US Gibsons. AND, its not weight relieved as the late 50's Gibson LPs were also not weight relieved.

You realize you CANNOT buy a new Production Line US Gibson LP thats NOT weight relieved? JUST Custom Shop RIs!

[​IMG]

21. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Yes Les Paul Standards these days are weight relieved, but that doesn't mean there is any negative aspect to the sound. Gibson do it because players often moan about the weight of LP Standards, hence the weight relief.

They don't do it on the Historics because they use more expensive lighter woods.

having played both non and weight Standards, I actually prefer the sound of the weight relieved. They are also a lot easier to gig.