Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Getting back to home recording.

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by bluegtr, Jun 22, 2018.

1. bluegtr

bluegtr Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Houston, TX
    My last recorder was a Fostex 4 track cassette, in the 80’s. Looking for something fairly easy to use, that has more than 2 balanced inputs. Boss looks good, just wondering if anyone here has any suggestions.
    Thanks

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Use your computer, get an interface, rock and roll.

The editing capabilities and the plugins alone make it worth doing that way.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    @Dadocaster is spot on, an interface and DAW on your computer become the infinitely flexible Fostex of today.

CigBurn and abnormaltoy like this.

4. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    The Boss (and similar) units are fine for demos the way we used to use the Fostex recorders. Doing anything more than basic levels when mixing with them is a bit of a pain - in my experience.

Computer based DAWs are easier to get fantastic quality- but you have to be pretty comfortable with computers. Not everyone is. If you don’t ‘get’ computers and just want to do demos then an all-in-one is fine. If you’re okay with computers then you can get better results for less money (assuming you have a decent computer already).

A Mac comes with GarageBand, for PCs I’d suggest Reaper to start with. A basic 2 channel interface, basic monitors and a couple of mics/stands and your off to the races - as some would say.

stratillac, CigBurn and abnormaltoy like this.

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I know where the OP is coming from. I honed my chops on a series of four-tracks through the 80s and 90s.

If you want that kind of vibe, get a Zoom H6. It's essentially a mobile 6-track.

That's how I record, but then I do take those tracks to a DAW for the mixing and mastering.

abnormaltoy and GuitarPix like this.

6. Borg

Borg Strat-Talk Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Long Beach, CA
    Reaper, SM57, M-audio M-track. Good to go.

Thrup'ny Bit and abnormaltoy like this.

7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    Down the rabbit hole if you REALLY get into it lol...
    I just stopped recording after 12 years. I've recorded enough for awhile, now focusing on live playing.

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Deciding on how “finished “ you want your recordings to end up will dictate the equipment you need. If you’re just making demos or recording song ideas then there are tons of options as mentioned above. However if you really want to produce good quality recordings you’re going to have to get som basic equipment. Good recording software is number one with a computer that can handle the processing. Then a decent DAW with good preamps( get
    more mic inputs than you think you need, trust me on this one), some good mics( a condenser and dynamic mic, although I have heard some food recordings with just condensers), decent monitors and good headphones. After that it’s down to how many bells and whistles you want to add on. Good luck and have fun.

abnormaltoy likes this.

9. bluegtr

bluegtr Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Hey thanks for the info, I have a 5+yr laptop (not Mac). Will do more research see if it will do. Thanks again

10. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    That's pretty much my set up too.

11. Borg

Borg Strat-Talk Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Long Beach, CA
    Reaper is not that demanding. I was using a 5 year old E machines cheapo and it handled it just fine. Just make sure you download ASIOforall as your audio driver.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    My machine is older than that.