Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

GFS pickups for strat

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by TRex, Jan 22, 2016.

1. TRex

TRex Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Georgia
    Incoming wall of text.

I'm looking at getting some GFS pickups for my secondary guitar, which is a squier affinity strat 05'. While it can get some decent strat tones, it just sounds cheap compared to the Seymour Duncan 59/JB set I have in my Les paul.

I'm pretty sure it currently has stock ceramic underwound pups and mini-500k pots, and I know upgrading won't move the value. So how about I make a second pickguard with some good budget components.

How are GFS's Overwound alnico pickups? (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Strat-Overwound-Alnico-Stagger-Pickup-Set_p_708.html)

Is it worth it to buck up for the premium version? (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Premium-Overwound-Alnico-Strat-Pickups-Our-Best-Hot-Set_p_630.html)

Or, what other brands should I take it look at?

2. Andrew78

Andrew78 Strat-Talker

Nov 3, 2012
    Kentucky
    I have their Texas set in a squier, they sound really nice. Upgrading the pots and switch won't cost much and might as well.

3. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog WhispereR Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.

hey, :) .

maybe look at Rose Pickups too..If you email them, you can discuss specs and how would like them wound/balanced..

4. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Before you buy anything, you have to have some sort of idea what kind of sound you want out of your strat. IMHO

stevierayfan91 likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
  6. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    I contacted Rose pickups a few weeks ago about a humbucker and they got back to me right away and were really helpful and accomodating .......they also offered a discount for being on ST ......the holidays happened and i haven't ordered one yet but i still plan on it......the strat pup prices are super reasonable......check them out....db

7. TRex

TRex Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Georgia
    I'm planning just to build an all new pickguard assembly. New switch new pots (250k)
    I'll take a look at them, thanks for the tip
    Well I'm kinda looking for the distinctive strat sound. 90% of the time I'm using my Les Paul as I do perfer Humbuckers for most styles. Mosty I'll be playing Hendrix, SRV, cleanish pop/rock, and such.

Wow, I'll take a look at those right now

8. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

GFS overwound pups are good, the vintage wind pups are better. The Texas set is basically a vintage wind set with an overwound bridge is undoubtedly a good deal. The basic pups have plastic bobbins, the premiums have fiber bobbins and beveled polepieces. How important those things are is up to you.

9. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If you're ordering from GFS you may as well buy enough to help underwrite the shipping charges. IMO they are charge a little too much for shipping, particularly for minimum orders/weights. Should cost you very little more to add the pots and switch.

10. nobozos

nobozos Strat-Talker

Aug 4, 2015
    Pekin, Il
    I can't speak intelligently about their single coil offerings, but I have been very happy with the Humbucker selections that they offer. The VEH and the Fat Pat pickups sounded great. You can get whatever pickups you want put into a pickguard and wired up with the pots, switch and everything so it's ready to drop into your guitar. The base price is $135, with a slight upcharge for different pickups. Not too bad when you consider 3 pickups, pots, pickguard, knobs, switch, jack, labor and wire for the price of what you would usually pay only to get a decent pickup set.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-USA-Custom-Shop-Hand-Wired-Pickguard-Assembly_p_363.html

11. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    I have had GFS Texas Staggers, and I currently have a set of Gold Foils in one of my strats and I really dig them both sets were each only about 60 bucks..

12. rnrapp

rnrapp Strat-Talker

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    I've had 3 GFS sets. One set was their vintage wound Alnico Boutique. They're just ok. Also had the Professional 1963 Vintage. They had a sour unpleasant tone. The only set I liked (which I bought first) were the Premium over wound. They sounded good in fact sounded a lot like a hotter SD SSL-1.
    If I had tried the other sets first I never would have bought another set.

13. tmcgee

tmcgee Strat-O-Master

Sep 1, 2015
    Boston, MA
    GFS is 30 miles from me, and ground shipping comes overnight, so I don't see this price penalty. That said, I have run a business for 30+ years and shipping charges are off the map, way too high.

14. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Many internet retailers benefit from the ability to sell merchandise tax free. And while there is cost involved in shipping I tend to resent companies that turn shipping charges into profit centers. I'm not saying that GFS does this, but more than once I've not placed an order that was in my cart because the shipping charges turned me off.

15. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

16. tmcgee

tmcgee Strat-O-Master

Sep 1, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, shipping has really gone up over the past few years. Yesterday, UPS quoted me $185 to ship an 82 pound organ speaker cabinet from Boston to Vermont, 158 miles. It's much cheaper for me to drive it there. It would cost about $22 in gas, and I could afford a hotel, although I'd likely round trip it the same day.

17. Liko

Liko Strat-Talk Member

Dec 26, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I have a set of Greybottoms in my Highway 1, replacing the stock non-RWRP set. If I had it to do over again I'd probably get the Texas variant with the hotter bridge, but even as is these are really nice, lot of tonal depth and character.