Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Gibson advice for a Strat guy

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Rob Moreno, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I'm about to buy my first Gibson ever. A Les Paul Studio. I'm a complete Gibson novice so I'm wondering if you guys can help me decide whether it's worth the $500 asking price. It's from an online shop and the date and serial number are not in the description. They say it's in very good condition, although it's difficult to judge from the low resolution photos. It does not come with a case. Too me, the price seems fair for a USA Gibson, but I know that Studios are generally a cheaper class of Les Paul. Should I bite? Is there anything I should be aware of like quality issues, etc.

bookoff20104-img674x1200-1515472830lsfumv13085.jpg bookoff20104-img674x1200-1515472836ehnzr211292.jpg bookoff20104-img674x1200-1515472826zibryd12864.jpg

Tomas83, shupe13, Nate D and 4 others like this.

2. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Not a Gibson guy but that looks very sweet

3. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Neither am I, and I thought it looked sweet as well, which is why I want to buy it :cool:

john lavelle, abnormaltoy and brians like this.

4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    It looks OK from here...nothing stands out as fake

$500 is an OK price to pay, and a Studio is a great entrée to the world of Gibson

Neil.C, Nate D, john lavelle and 4 others like this.

5. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Thanks for the reassurance!

john lavelle and abnormaltoy like this.

6. Jinx_The_Lynx

Jinx_The_Lynx Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2016
    West of West
    I would ask to see pics of the numbers before I handed over the cash. You never know nowadays.

abnormaltoy and rolandson like this.

7. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Well buying before playing is always risky...and without confirming its authenticity you're taking on an added element of risk. Of course that's mitigated should the seller offer a no questions full refund period following receipt.

As far as The Studio is concerned, I understand that the differences between it and The Standard are mostly cosmetic...though my experience with Gibson is limited to their archtops. There may be differences in electronics, however those are user serviceable so...
    $500 seems reasonable compared to the grand plus being sought at retail for new.. But really... Buyer Beware.

8. wvincagold

wvincagold Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    West Virginia
    I love Gibson's les paul but without a verifiable serial number it could be a copy. For 500.00 thats only a third of what it costs new. That triggers my spidey sense. Yes it could be a great deal. It could also be a Chinese copy. Or its been repaired or a cracked headstock. Before you plunk down some hard earned money I would at a minimum want some more pictures at a better resolution especially over the neck joint and headstock, the places that crack on LP. That and around the jack hole. (Fenders are much better when it comes to the jack). Without a serial number tgat you can go to Gibson with and verify (anyone can stamp some numbers in a headstock) that it is what it is. Best advice I can give you. Nobody wants to pay 500.00 for a 300.00 Chibson.

9. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Good looking guitar.

Rob Moreno and abnormaltoy like this.

10. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    I bought one of those for $600. I've been pleased. Go for it.

abnormaltoy and Rob Moreno like this.

11. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    It's a nice looking Studio, and they are great guitars. But like others have said, is it a fake? Does it have a headstock repair? What's the return policy? You might be pleasantly surprised at the price of used Gibby's and new Faded LPs at guitar center and if you buy from a shop you can try it and return it.

12. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Thanks for the advice. The shop website says that they accept returns if the item is different from the description, so I think I'm covered if it's a fake or if there are any underlying issues. This particular recycle shop has hundreds of stores nationwide and is very trustworthy. I've purchased from them on many occasions and have never had a problem with the merchandise.

wvincagold, shupe13 and abnormaltoy like this.

13. TelT

TelT Strat-Talk Member

Oct 24, 2011
    London
    The Studio isn't a cheaper class of Les Paul, its a Les Paul without the binding and 'flame,' on the maple top. Thats it. In every other way, its a full fledged Les Paul. I chose a Studio over a Traditional and Standard a couple of years ago; very, very good guitar.

Les Pauls can have slight variances from year to year, there's also 5 different weight reliefs depending on the year. The Studios come in 2 types of necks, the 59 profile and 60's Slim Taper.

Best to get down to a shop and try out a few. Take note of the neck differences when standing and sitting.

If that is a genuine Les Paul, and includes a hard case, thats a good price. Perhaps a bit too good to be honest.

Really best to try before you buy.

14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Just be aware that the neck is quite a bit chunkier than any fender you've played. But it looks great...good luck

Rob Moreno and abnormaltoy like this.

15. TelT

TelT Strat-Talk Member

Oct 24, 2011
    London
    abnormaltoy likes this.

16. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    If it's a reputable shop with a decent return policy, you'll be okay.
    Buying a guitar unseen is a bit like buying shoes through the mail it's all about fit

17. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I bought all 4 of my Gibsons through the mail.

2 were new from Dave's in Wisconsin.

1 was someone's beater but it's a '68 SG jr. that I turned into a great player

1 was used but from a reputable seller on Reverb

The new ones required some set ups to be perfect, as did the beat up SG jr, but the last one is almost perfect right out of the case

Rob Moreno likes this.

18. TelT

TelT Strat-Talk Member

Oct 24, 2011
    London
    The factory setup on my '16 was pretty good.

Rob Moreno likes this.

19. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    I’m technically not a Gibson kind of guy, although there is only one Les Paul that I’ve ever considered and it’s still available new so maybe one day I’ll take the plunge.

But anyways it’s a nice looking Gibson, only thing that hurts my eyes is the gold hardware. Never been a fan of gold hardware on any guitar. As others have said buying sight unseen and not played can be risky for sure. So many times I’ve tried a floor model guitar at a store and asked for a new unboxed one but the new unboxed didn’t sound no where as good as the floor model but I’ve also experienced where the unboxed new sounded even better than the floor model. So many factors come into play with each instrument that’s built even if it’s a 100 of the same model and everything.

I bought my Fender Jaguar, Fender Jazzmaster and Fender Stratocaster all sight unseen new but they were amazing out of the box. When I bought my Ibanez at a local Guitar Center the sales guy let me open three boxed brand new ones of the same guitar to find the right one lol - highly doubt that would happen nowadays and that was like 14 years ago lol.

When I bought my 2017 Taylor 814 I was at a well known local acoustic shop looking at buying a $2500 Martin but when I tried the Taylor just for the hell of it I was sold. Told the sales guy I’d have the money by next week and when I came back it was sold but they ordered me a brand new Taylor 814CE from Taylor Guitars direct. Well guess what? Unlike Martin and several brands where you hear about finding that special one out of the bunch, well this Taylor 814CE sounded just as perfect as the floor model I tried out. The thing about Taylor Guitars and the massive amount of innovations over the years is they are most of the time dead spot on with being consistent in building guitars so it’s hard to find a bad apple.

Now Gibson whether it be acoustic or electric and Martin being acoustic are two big brands known for not being very consistent. It seems to be a bigger issue with with Gibson though so it’s definitely a brand I would fully test. I would check the return policy and possibly have it looked over by someone of your choosing possibly. And with all the Chibsons on the market I’d be weary anytime buying a used Gibson nowadays. I happen to know a guy who knows a guy who buys Chibsons and resale’s them to make a profit. When he told me this I gave him the dirtiest look ever.

wvincagold, Rob Moreno and TelT like this.

20. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    It does not come with any kind of case, and there are probably a few minor scratches and scuff marks that are not coming through in the photos. But as long as I can get back what I paid for it if I decide it's not for me I'm willing to take a gamble.