Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Gibson advice for a Strat guy

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Rob Moreno, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    The shop has a good reputation so I'm confident I can return it if it has a major defect or if it's a fake. If it turns out that I simply don't like the way it sounds or feels then I'll have to put it back on the market myself. Hopefully at that price I won't occur much of a loss, if any.

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Ha! I'm not a big fan of gold hardware myself, but I think it looks great on this guitar. Really nice contrast with the all-black body. That's what attracted me to it.

Bob the builder likes this.

3. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

Are you sure? Most shops have a like it or return it policy...it's one of the ways buying sight unseen works. Good luck

4. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    As stated by others here, the Studio is fine LP. No worries there.

5. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Are there different types/grades of stock pickups in the Les Paul Studio line?

6. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    I never see studios below seven or eight hundred.

7. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I'm pretty sure it's all sales final, unless the merchandise is defective or different from what was advertised. It's a recycle shop, not a traditional music store.

8. mojosman

mojosman Strat-O-Master

Mar 24, 2013
    Western Mass
    It looks like a nice Les Paul. Just be warned; Gibson guitars can cause your wallet to get lighter in ways beyond the initial costs.

When I got my Les Paul I traded a nice G&L tele that I never bonded with. I loved the bigger 50’s rounded neck, and the way it played. Ultimately it had two things that bothered me: it didn’t stay in tune, and the pickups didn’t have the tone I thought of as Les Paul tone. I learned that Gibson is known for sloppy nut slots, and my luthier filed the nut slots a bit and just like that it stayed in tune. I bought a set of SD Pearly Gates pickups and a vintage 50’s wiring harness with new pots, and PIO tone caps. I got rid of the stock tone controls and chicklets tone caps. After that it sounded like a real Les Paul.

In the end I needed to tweak it to make it mine, but with a little effort it became a keeper

Rob Moreno likes this.

9. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Yikes! Thanks for the warning. I've been watching some YouTube demos of what I think is more or less the same model I bought (yes, I made the purchase) and I love what I see and hear, but your comment makes me a bit anxious.

10. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    YOU DONE GOOD! Relax...deep breath....

The only thing you may have to worry about is wanting half a dozen more!

I won't recount the whole boring story, but after playing NOTHING but Fender / G&L for decades, I became a "Gibson guy". I own a beautiful 2000 LP Studio; it sounds fantastic! I USED to say "I love how Les Pauls sound, when someone else is playing them!" NO more!

Pickups are like any other guitar brand, Fender included. Not everyone likes all models of pickups. Typically, older (mid 90s~early 2000's) Studios had Gibson 490 / 498 pickups. Alnico magnets, I love the pair that came with mine. But be warned- Gibson, and many other humbucker equipped guitars, require (yes, I said require-my STRONG opinion) adjusting the volume and tone knobs. Seems a lot of Fender guys don't naturally come from that school (me included); it's turn it up to ten / 'dime' 'em all- and you may find that if you do that with your new Gibson- ya might be disappointed with the pickups. Don't be 'skeered to twist the knobs- theres a whole PLETHORA of tones right at your fingertips. Little tweaks to the tone knobs / volume knobs can make a big difference.

Adjusting the pickup height is critical too. (You can do this yourself). Remember that humbuckers are generally stronger than single coils. Many "PAF" humbuckers run in the 7.5 to 9.5k (9.5 on the high side for PAF's) ohm range- single coils significantly less. THEN, if you have a hotter set of humbuckers- say 11-14k ohm- even stronger.

I just has a Fralin 8k / 9k humbucker set installed in my SG. Right out of the tech's hands, the pickups sounded 'meh'. Got it home and literally 1/16 to 1/8" adjustments sweetened them up unbelievably!

It'll be a new world for you- approach it with an open mind (and open ears) and I'm guessing you'll soon be loving yer new beauty!

AND it is a beauty! CONGRATS! I personally much prefer the high gloss finish opposed to the satin finishes- and the gloss finishes usually command a higher price even on the used market. (My 2000 LP was about $750.00 out the door).

BEST wishes!

Brian

Rob Moreno likes this.

11. Spiffums

Spiffums Strat-Talker

Nov 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    Looks pretty good if it's an Epiphone! Either way I don't think you'd be hurt at $500 for it.

Rob Moreno likes this.

12. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Wow! Thanks for the detailed advice and reassurance, Brian.
    One more question: I noticed that some Studio models have modern tuning pegs and others have vintage type. Did the specs change after a certain year? Is one type better than the other for staying in tune or is it purely preference like strat tuners?

13. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Not exactly the same.

The Studios have a thinner body than the Standards and multi piece backs when the Standards had a one piece.

Probably why Studios are usually opaque colours.

14. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    I'm not sure on the finer details of the model compared to a standard, but I've had a '97 studio, completely stock, for ten years- and I love it. It is the only Les Paul I've ever owned, played quite a lot.

I did a similar thing to yourself, i had a low initial budget (it was an "engagement off" present to myself) so i bought unseen and cheap, but I did put £100 to one side incase it needed work.

When it arrived it was exactly as the seller described but was buzzy with some (not excessive) fretwear. I sent it off for a setup and fret dress, £80 and a week or so later, the guitar came back that nice that I haven't even looked at another les paul since!

I wanted translucent wine red, which i found as its a popular colour, but this one came with gold hardware when I really wanted nickel / chrome. However, as the guitar has a history and a few battlescars, the elements (and no doubt a few gallons of sweat!) have aged them rather nicely, and i now prefer it!

I'll admit that I have considered another LP since- but that was purely when the 2016 "NOS" studios hit the market last year in the uk, but purely for the colour- I love green! but the point I'm trying to make is, that if something bad happened and my LP was no longer with me (IE stolen, house fire etc) I would be more than happy to replace it with another studio.

Neil> that's interesting, I had no idea that they had a thinner body!

15. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    I forgot to add:

Again I'm no expert on specs and things, but mine came with the vintage kluson deluxe tuners and I've not found a reason to change them. Except for one which had a broken casing! :thumb:

Rob Moreno likes this.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well, I'm not so sure about that. I have a LP Studio 60s Goldtop with P90s, & it's always struck me as an LP for people who don't really like LPs. So compared to a standard LP, it's substantially lighter & the neck is significantly slimmer. The absence of binding gives it more of a Fender flavour - plain & unfussy. Which is why I like it.

The people who criticise the Studios tend to be hardcore LP fans, & I'm not surprised they don't like them - they feel significantly different to most LPs! Add P90s to get rid of that boxy humbucker sound & you have something really rather interesting.

17. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2012
    Barrow Upon Soar, UK
    Looks good but personally I would never buy a guitar that I hadn't seen and played.

I've had 2 LP studios and a standard, the difference is cosmetic. My current studio has a great slim neck compared to the other two, both of which had a fat chunky neck that I didn't really get on with, if this is an issue for you I'd find out what sort of neck this one has.

Pickups vary a lot with LP's, my current one has burstbucker pickups which I like a lot, very classic LP tone with lots of sustain. Also the body is chambered which helps a lot with overall weight, some LP's are very heavy.

Silvercrow likes this.

18. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    I'm not sure (I'm learning all the time!) but I think there must have been some spec changes over the years........ mine weighs a ton and has a 50's neck profile. And it does feel like a full fat LP to me..... but I'm no expert! And I've not played a full fat one for more than, say, an hour! Maybe I'm just not a hardcore LP fan ;)

Groovey likes this.

19. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I've had both types of tuners you mentioned; no problems with either. My PREFERENCE is the Grover 'kidney bean' style- which my LP has and my SG came with (My SG's Grovers are locking, also). You'll get as many answers as there are opinions on tuning machines!

I read above there was a comment about differences in body thickness. This came up on the Gibson board years ago (those guys are knowledgeable- but can be brutal). The difference, when there is one, in thickness amounts to a couple (2) millimeters. Probably nothing more than a variance in manufacturing. (The guy over on the Gibson board got tired of the back and forth and yelled "HAVE YOU GOT NOTHING BETTER TO DO than to measure top thickness with a micrometer??!!" Like I said- they can be brutal over there- one reason I don't go there much any more).

Apparently another widely held belief- the maple caps are thinner on the LP Studios. Again, the experts (and they are, trust me- every bit as fanatical as we are about our Strats) say not so.

My LP Studio is "ruby" in color- a semi transparent color. It absolutely has a one piece back. And the guitar is heavy- just like a "real" LP ;).

Not to mention the multi-piece back / tone debate goes on forever. I've never read conclusively where less pieces= better tone. I'm told (unproven, but makes sense) that a lot of higher end Strats and Teles that have opaque color are multi-piece. IMO- no affect on tone.

Brian

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

20. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

I agree the Studios have changed from what I knew years ago to what I've seen out now. But they have maintained a solid reputation.

Dan_Q and Silvercrow like this.