Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Gilmour's delicate intro on Wish You Were Here.

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Scimmy, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:43 PM.

1. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

Jun 3, 2016
    Sunderland UK
    On the opening track, Shine On You Crazy Diamond parts 1-5, the first we hear of Gilmour's Strat is a delicate slow piece above the atmospheric keyboards of Richard Wright. The Strat sounds absolutely beautiful with a clean rounded tone and hardly any sound of the pick on the string.

Here's the problem: I have tried and tried to replicate it but cannot get rid of the percussive sound of the pick on the strings no matter how delicately I play or which pickup I use. Even playing with my thumb (skin not nail) the brush of my thumb on the string is intrusive.

I have tried rolling off the tone but this muffles the clear tone too much.

Can anybody offer advice? Thanks in advance.

I am playing through Amplitube 4 and high-quality headphones as I am unable to play through an amp due to my domestic situation.

Chont and circles like this.

2. Steven1145

Steven1145 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 19, 2018
    FR
    A bit of compression might help. Oh and you're not playing loud enough

problem-child likes this.

3. Steven1145

Jul 19, 2018
    FR
    Ditchgator and carolinaeasy like this.

4. Nubs

Nubs Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I would suggest taking a video of yourself playing and analyze it. If you would like, post it here and we'll offer our help.

5. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    That tone is Gilmours EMG loaded “Red Strat”

Compression, Rotory Speaker, Chorus, Flanger, Delay, Upper Mid Boost EQ and Reverb are all in there.
    Though the tone sounds clean and clear, theres actually a bit of clean boost in there.

The EMGs dont change their tone as you turn them down, so its easy to lose the pick attack while keeping the chimey airy tone.
    They also sustain for days, even when turned down.

Also, the Red Strat has the EMG EXG and SPC controls.
    The EXG boost highs and lows significantly and gives a wide open tone even if the guitars volume is very low.

How do I know this?
    My Strat has the EMG DG-20, and I have many Gilmour presets Ive created with my Eleven Rack.
    One if my favs being my Shine On intro preset.

I used Amplitube 4 for a while, and I found it has a very strong attack with most all settings.
    Not a bad thing, unless you dont want it.

Try turning up your compressor, and keeping the amps gain low, and boost with a bit of clean boost if need be.

Hopefully this info helps :thumb:

Mansonienne, Ditchgator, Omar and 2 others like this.

6. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    Check out the Paul Reed Smith Waves guitar plug in.
    Some very nice edge of breakup tones.....probably the best I have heard for a computer based amp sim.
    You can download it to demo for free.
    I have quite a few amp plugins including Amplitube and I like the PRS the best.

7. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    No. Wish you were here was recorded in 1975. His red strat wasn’t built until ‘82-83 and the EMG SA pickups were not developed until 1982. He was playing his black strat for that recording.

Chont likes this.

8. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @Jason99

EMGs were developed in the 70s, and Gilmour and Steve Lukather were using them long before they hit the retail market.

True, the current Red Strat is a 1982 ‘57 reissue, and I used that guitar as a reference point, as Gilmour also had white and black Strats loaded with EMGs long before they were available retail.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    This is the Black Strat on the neck pickup straight into the amp. Try turning the tone down to about 6 and attacking the string slowly, that is, let the string roll off the pick rather than letting it snap.

Chont likes this.

10. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    But not in 1975. There are a ton of photos out there showing him playing his black strat during the recording sessions.

11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Wow
    Had no idea that Gilmourish place existed....

12. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    Compression, as stated a few times above is the missing magical piece. I have never tried the piece your are doing, but I went through a period where I used a compressor religiously on clean tones. I used several different types and one of the key take aways for me was the impact it had on the percussive nature of the pick attack. YMMV but This is where I would focus first.

13. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX

14. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    The original recording had his rig set-up in an empty large studio, all by itself, to give that empty arena type sound, according to Brian Humphries, who engineered the album...

Cheers, & enjoy the show,

Rastus

TheDuck, carolinaeasy and Chont like this.

15. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

Jun 3, 2016
    Sunderland UK
    Thanks for all the advice folks!

16. Steven1145

Jul 19, 2018
    FR
    That will help enormously, as the farther away you can put the mic the less attack you will have on the sound. There would be no point using a very big room just to close mic the guitar cab.

Rastus likes this.

17. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Yes, in '75.

He also used a Les Paul with P90s, and many other guitars. But hey, its all ancient history, and the only ones who really know are the ones who were there.

Some of you are missing the point to this thread though.

The OP is using Amplitube, and thats where his issue is.

The tone he's after isnt that difficult to reproduce. It just takes a bit of finesse and trial and error.

From a guy who knows, Mr Dave Phillips. About a minute in, he gets into the specifics.
    This is closer to The Wall era, but its in the ball park.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    Rastus likes this.

18. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Good luck with that tone...

Of all the tones I’ve ever tried to cop... that’s the toughest. I gave up.

Best result I had was compression, rolling off tone and using fingers instead of pick.

There’s a pic of him in the live room with his rig set up. I’m in agreement that it was volume and finesse and studio compressors.

And yes. You’re using amplitube. So there’s that.

Good luck

Guy Named Sue and Rastus like this.

19. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    For what it’s worth

Check out some live stuff from that time

Boston 77 is a great bootleg

Even HE doesn’t even have the same tone as on the record.

Guy Named Sue and TheDuck like this.