Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Gloss over satin nitro?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by StillAlive&Well, Nov 8, 2018.

1. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Can I get a good glossy finish applying gloss nitro over satin? I have a can of satin left over from my Frog T-Caster build and am getting ready to start finishing my new Strat body. I would like to use up the satin I have.

2. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    As far as I know yeah you should be good. I bought a Highway One body that had been cleared with a gloss clear coat and looks pretty shiny.

StillAlive&Well likes this.
  3. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    they put stuff in gloss lacquer to make it cloudy, that is how they get "satin"

so if you put the satin on first, the gloss on top of it will not reach maximum mojo in the shine department since the cloudy finish is underneath.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    you should test first... the satin is achieved by adding chemistry to the lacquer.. it's still there, and since the new coats will melt the old, that chemistry can migrate into the new....

rk

5. StillAlive&Well

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    That's what I was afraid of. Of course, I want all the mojo I can get.

6. StillAlive&Well

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Rather than test, I'll go the safe route and just get more glossy if I find I need it.
    Thanks!

7. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    i could be wrong and you would need to test it first but i believe if you let the satin lacquer settle for awhile all the cloudy will be on the bottom and you can gently pour the uncloudy lacquer on the top out and use it.

big maybe anyway!

8. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    If you need to polish the glossy topcoat in any way, you might have issues exposing the satin beneath. I made that mistake with crudely refinishing a maple neck fretboard. Horrible uneven gloss satin stuff.

9. nadzab

nadzab So many guitars, so little time... Strat-Talk Supporter

I think you'll be just fine. In the auto world, the color coat in a basecoat/clearcoat system dries matte, and the clearcoats provide the gloss...and cars are pretty glossy.

10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Adding 'chemistry' to the lacquer? That's an interesting way to put it.

Flattening agent solids are used to reduce the sheen of paints and lacquers. They are essentially like minute fish scales that cloud the coating to make it more hazy and less transparent.

They can settle if a thick coat is applied, but I have never seen the situation that they migrate to a higher coat.

If you put a clear gloss coating above a low sheen coating, it can be compared to laying a sheet of glass on top of it. You will see the lower sheen coating through it, but it will have a glossy appearance.