Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Godin Guitars

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Alfonse, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Alfonse

Alfonse Strat-Talk Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Holyoke, MA. USA
    I have two of these beauties. One is a Session. Introduced in 2010, it's a American SSH copy. It was incredibly low priced and sounds great.

I also have a Godin Progression. It is superior to any Fender single coil guitar in sound, quality and Price. Anyone else have one of these?

I thin Godin is now building the best electric guitars in North America and that they will be force to be reckoned with in the next three years.

Alfonse

2. RussV

RussV Strat-O-Master

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    I've read good things but never played one. Aren't they made in Canada?

3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Godins are fantastic, high quality guitars. The only downfall is resale value.

4. Alfonse

Feb 8, 2011
    Holyoke, MA. USA
    They are indeed Canadian. Commodore hit the peg on the head. They don't resell at a fair price for what they are. I have feeling that both the retail prices and re-sale prices are going to go up really soon. People are going to catch on once there are enough out there.

The Session has the best maple neck I've ever played. The Bridge Humbuker is made by Godin and one of the best I've ever heard. The two single coils put out much more power than any Fender single coil. But they have much less of the high tinny ear splitting treble and much more mid-range than a Fender.

The Progression is their SSS Strat like guitar, except it's where Fender might be in five years or so. Incredible over wound coils and a switch which propels you into Active from Passive Mode. It is BUILT!! I never saw such a pains taking construction on any electric.

I just didn't like the Progression neck as much as the Session, because the session is more c shaped than flat. The neck circumfrence is identical though. That's why I just bought the Strat. I compromised tone and quality for comfort and personal playability. I'm sure most people would love the Progressions neck. They just came out with their first set necks, called the Icon, and have a Boutique hand made guitar made by their best luthier called the Passion. It runs around 3K. Alittle much for my blood!
    If you have not tried one of these, Do it! You will not be disapointed!

Al

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

5. pinto79

pinto79 Strat-Talker

Feb 6, 2011
    Delta, B.C., Canada
    Godins have always just been a "meh" to me. I worked for a dealer and played many many of them. Not a single one jumped out as anything that I must own. Their necks are generic, their pickups are lack-luster (Including the ones custom done for them by Seymour Duncan)... their fit and finish is well done, but a guitar is something that should provoke one's spirit and make you want to play. Godins just don't.

6. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    ive never had the pleasure of playing one. i know many guitarists that endorse a product really have them custom made ( not what you can buy stock ) and put the brand name on the 1 they play.

having said that john mclaughlin is endorsing them albiet his has the trutemperment frets on it.

7. Alfonse

Feb 8, 2011
    Holyoke, MA. USA
    McGlaughlin has been playing Progressions and Passions. I geuss we will always have different tastes. Pinto79 doen't like godins. i on the other hand have been beyond merely "grabbed" by them. What's a Generic neck? I have had a progression and have a Session, they both have a 12 inch radius, but the Session is more Cshaped and the Progression has a flatter profile. The Icon has a set neck and the Icon 2 has combination sigle coil, humbucking and P-90's on all three pickups. The number of possible combinations through coil splitting is mind boggling. I'd say they have access to excellent wood sources in Quebec and New Hamshire. As I said, I have never encountered such well made guitars.

I'm not crazy about their acoustics,though they are also built very well. I had Seagull Artist with a Spruce top and Indian rosewood back and sides. when I first bought my Brazillian Rosewood Taylor 814-CE, it sounded the same as the Seagull. Of course now that few years have passed, there's no contest. The Taylor is in a league of it's own.

Godin has been using Baggs electronics for years with excellent results.

Alfonse

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

8. OldFartRocker

OldFartRocker Strat-O-Master

Nov 23, 2009
    Northeast
    Godin guitars are being made in Berlin N.H. also. Fantastic guitar, in a very short time with good marketing they should surpass many other guitar makers. The quality, fit and finish rivals any Fender. Problem for me is I like all guitars......Rock On!

9. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 25, 2009
    The Evergreen State
    The only make one model left handed. If they made more, they would be a brand I would consider. Some of their guitars are very beautiful.

10. Leon The Pirate

Leon The Pirate Strat-Talk Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Greece
    my Godin Freeway classic (with upgraded pickups and pots) is a great player and very comfortable. i find Godin to be superior to mexican Fenders and equal to MIAs.

11. Texocaster

Texocaster Senior Stratmaster

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    Godin makes a single cutaway jazz depth archtop that is a total bargain.

12. Jpwillis269

Jpwillis269 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Southaven MS
    I've never played one of their guitars but when I was a professional touring musician my main bass was a godin 5 string with active pickups. That was my favorite bass I've ever played. I would consider trying one of their single cut away models with the piezo bridge

13. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Those Sessions look pretty cool to me....

14. CapeRR

CapeRR Strat-O-Master

Aug 11, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Godin's acoustics are made in Canada and they ship their electric components to NH where they are assembled.
    I have had two of their acoustics.....I had a Seagull for almost 10 years which I sold and now I have a Norman...also Godin. I think they are among the best quality and sounding acoustics being made and reasonably priced too.

15. Dagan8

Dagan8 Strat-Talker

May 20, 2010
    Toronto
    I'm curious about the Icon3 with the Lollar P90's

16. Hugh

Hugh Needs Mo Motown Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    I had a LG P90 Nice guitar

[​IMG]

The recessed bridge made it very comfortable to play

[​IMG]

17. ArticStrat

ArticStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 6, 2011
    Mitten State
    One of my instructors plays a godin and it is very very nice. Sounds great. I don't own one however.

18. tomstrat1968

tomstrat1968 Strat-Talker

Dec 27, 2010
    Texarkana,AR
    I played flat finished rosewood session model today. Ibanez feel to the neck. Great sounding pickups. Wicked little axe for less than $500.

19. DantheLefty

DantheLefty Strat-Talk Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Maine USA
    I agree with Lefty, us left-handed people are left out. I wanted the Exit 22 (only Lefty they make) the factory didnt even have any in stock. I didnt want to wait 8 weeks for it.

20. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

Dec 8, 2008
    Ajax, Canada

Sadly, I have to agree. I say "sadly" because I really wanted to love them - I loved the workmanship, overall quality & appearance.

I owned two - an LG with SD P90's and an LG Signature with SD humbuckers.

But the pickups (Seymours designed for Godin) just didn't hold my interest & I found the neck radius too flat for my liking.

They are however a great deal used, especially if you are willing to replace the pickups if you're not happy with the OEMs.