Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Godin Guitars

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Alfonse, Feb 8, 2011.

1. guitarutopia

guitarutopia Strat-Talker

Mar 29, 2009
    Western Australia
    Oh Yes !!!....
    I have the same Godin LG same finish as well, it has a nice comfortable neck like a slightly smaller fender strat 'Thick C' type neck, really amazing !
    I will never worry about the resale value on my LG with these S/Duncan P90's because it is so good that I would never sell it. note that I have several usa and *** strats and tele's and 2 LP's etc... so having this guitar was by choice here. I love it ! I want to try one of the jazz archtops when i get the chance as well, i've heard good things. Godin are very under rated guitars.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

2. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

i enjoy my lg, they have a really nice crunch to them. and i really enjoy the neck. nice mahagony, gives the collection a little spice.

Attached Files:

3. CapeRR

CapeRR Strat-O-Master

Aug 11, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    ^^^ Gorgeous guitar. Reminds me of the Ernie Ball Axis....

4. Rusty Fender

Rusty Fender Strat-Talker

May 25, 2011
    Left Coast
    I own 2 Godin guitars. My main guitar is a all mahogany semi hollow Montreal. I love everything about it.
    I just got a 5th Ave Kingpin archtop with a P90 and am getting into it. Seems to lack bass, but I'll plug into a Peavy twin tomorrow and see.

5. madmat

madmat But I digress Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 13, 2010
    Allatoona Landing
    Right now there are about 6 or 7 at my local GC listed as "used" but there are far too many multiples of the same model to really be used gear. I suspect they're NOS.

I've been wondering what they were. So they're made on our hemisphere?

6. CapeRR

CapeRR Strat-O-Master

Aug 11, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    ^^^Yeah their acoustics are made in Canada and the electrics are sent in parts and assembled in NH I believe.

7. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    GC is clearing out "old stock". The first 2 numbers in a Godin SN# is the year. I suspect you'll see that they're 09 or older. They're doing the same with all brands of guitars, pretty quietly.

Built in Berlin, NH.

8. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

Mar 21, 2011
    Nature Coast Florida
    There's nice Freeway at my local Daddy's Music Store that I may just go an snag at $279.95. I listened toa few youtubes and kind of like it.

9. Lucifarion

Lucifarion Strat-Talker

Jul 3, 2011
    Pickering, ON
    Being a Canadian who has played, worked on and and enjoyed these axes for well over 12yrs now. I can say that godin makes some incredible guitars, there are 2 plants one in quebec and one in NH... the ones made in quebec are far supperior to the ones made in NH, but tend to stay north of the border...

the other comment that I read was that the SD pups aren't very nice sounding... I will agree the newer godins tend to have SD pup's in them and they are OK, better then a MIM fender but not as good as an MIA... The older godins and a few of the newer higher end ones have godin designed pup's which are better then anything fender, gibson, or anyone have on the market stock... they do have a really flat FB radius and they do tend to have thinner necks (more akin to modern fender's) on their LG's and a neck that's closer to Ibanez on most of the others.
    Godin has been building necks for fender for years (un-acredited of course) every MIA fender that you have played that has a rock maple neck was a neck made by godin.... Godin necks are a flatter version of the fender necks and exceed fender in quality and finish.
    they are a great bang for there buck but they tend to not hold there value in the states as well as they do in canada in fact some of the earlier godins are appreciating in value faster then fenders or gibsons of the same era.

but don't look at godins if you want a generic re-build of a classic axe (LP or strat) cause you will prolly be disappointed as they don't have the same tonal characteristics or feel... but they are amazing axes as a stand-alone company and have better fit and finish and more options (such as stock coil splits w/ push/ pull pots, built in eq's, floyd roses, EMGS, etc) then any of the common guitars. Play an earlier LG with godin HB's, EQ, and a coil split... (BTW they also had all of these options in a 24 fret model) and you will be surprised by not only what you can do with one these beasts (the tonal range is incredible), but you will be more surprised by what you will find that you just can't do with any stock fenders or gibsons in the same price range.

they will definately be a force in the guitar world within the next few years, and I have a feeling that in 20 yrs we will be talking about early godins with the same reverence we set aside for classic fenders and gibsons... it's really to bad that they haven't taken off as well in the states as they did here... maybe it has to do with their only flaw.... not enough left handed axes to fill south paw players hands, it really is a shame and poor marketing on their behalf.

10. nicole

nicole Banned

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa Ontario
    i own a Godin SD 22 in navy blue with a really high tremelo bar set up. kinda EVH feeling for some reason. must be me.

i like it lots and the it was very reasonable in price! also ...just to let you know - they have great customer service too if you have questions or need parts etc..great people to deal with :)

11. seabee

seabee Strat-Talk Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Canada
    I have a Godin Session and love it. If you like a guitar and intend to hold onto it, then resale value doesn't matter as much. For the price, I think it is a very well-made and good sounding guitar.

I also have a Seagull S6 with cedar top and I love that too.

I played one of the Kingpin acoustic archtops in a guitar shop a while back and it felt and sounded great.

What I've been trying to find is a place that carries the Richmond Dorchester (picture below). None of the guitar shops near me carry it. And I'm curious to try it out. The looks of it might be what some call ugly, but I like how the Dorchester in natural finish with Bigsby looks. I just wish it didn't have a black headstock. In any event, I'd just like to see how it feels and sounds. No luck so far with that.

[​IMG]

12. Tred

Tred Strat-Talk Member

May 13, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    I had a Godin LGXT a few years ago. Very classy, nice playing, easy action. Loved the synth/multi voice with my Roland VGA 7 amp, too! Was sorry to trade it off later.

13. fsone

fsone Strat-Talk Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Canada
    Just received my new Godin Session strat. it is AWESOME!! The colour is so rich looking. The quality and the playability is fantastic. This is my #1 player. Here's a few pics.

Attached Files:

14. Virgman

Virgman Strat-O-Master

Nov 2, 2012
    Joisey

15. srvsayce78

srvsayce78 Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2011
    UK
    Very nice, congrats.

16. fsone

fsone Strat-Talk Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Canada
    Thanks guy's.

17. lindseyp

lindseyp Strat-Talk Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Hampton Roads
    I owned a Session, made the mistake of "donating" it to a family member. Now it's gone for good. I kept the serial number, just in case I find it in a pawn shop in/near his home town :D

18. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Godin's are amazing if you know what to do with them.

19. DeanIversenGreen

DeanIversenGreen New Member!

Mar 18, 2016
    Seattle, Wa.
    yup, I have a Godin Freeway SE, and an early Aerodyne Strat, rear route, SSS, black, very nice and quite possibly the BEST strat ever built in numbers, low but all the same it was mass produced

I have a 1961 strat tobacco burst with a new neck, SSS, trem, converted to 5 way superswitch and the Clapton mid boost, batt in trem cavity

I also have a creme MIM strat, a 51 Pawn Shop and another tobacco burst I have converted to a dedicated slide guitar, I just rose the action to 1/4 inch and put 16/56 Resophonic Rollerwound stainless strings on it, bout it still have the treme working, I have a few more and a butterscotch Tele upgraded, very nice IMO..

of all the strats I have the Godin is in 2nd or 3rd for sure, Aerodyne hands down is topps.. the fit and finish is above the strats in all departments IMHO, plus it has a built in Piezo style pickup system that allows me with a 13 pin cable play with both the standard and the midi pups and blend them however, SO NICE, i know strat sorta did this with a GK-3 type system but this one is fully integrated and you can;t see its even there, it came with the carbon saddles standard

frankly it feels so much like a strat it would be hard to tell the difference actually, I like the neck on it as well, not too bad actually, i got a GREAT deal from a pawn shop $300 with a Godin case too! I know the saddles and case are worth $200 but I wasn't about to tell them that, they CLEARLY had no clue what it was worth or what they cost new...

yet they have this BEAT UP strat on the wall, just rpe CBS 3 bolt neck, plays OK I guess upgraded pups but they want $1700 for it. may be worth it fairly beat up yet the Godin was MINT

if any of you find a midi Godin for $300 SNAG IT UP FAST, they don't make a sub $800 guitar if I remember right, most are $1200-$2200 or there about..

yea sometimes folks don;t know or they are so bias they will take a loss on em, fine with me

20. Ron Daniels

Ron Daniels JD Custom Picku

In reply to the original comment. Godin is out of Quebec, and, apparently, make a lot of guitars for others "white labeled" as well as doing their own production of Godin, Seagull, Simon&Patrick, Norman, Art&Luthierie, LaPatrie and Richmond brands.

I first ran into them in the mid 1990's. The guitarist for a fellow named Greg Dechart (spelling) was using one. Greg had worked with Uriah Heap, and toured with David Gilmour, and would show up at even small gigs with Leslie Cabinets for his keyboards. INCREDIBLE musician!

The Godin this young pro guitarist was playing was a very good instrument, sounded and played great and was a bit of a hidden treasure at the time, as the quality was there, but the brand recognition had yet to be established.

In my opinion, Godin has among the best workmanship of any guitar manufacturers.

www.godin.com